No announcement yet.

Celebrity Death Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hasn't Ed Sabol been sick for quite awhile now? When he got enshrined into the HoF I thought his son accepted the award for him. Maybe it was just all the tributes they had at the time made it seem like he wasn't doing well.

I'm guessing anyone who's been to an Japanese restaurant will recognize this bottle.

Japanese designer of soy-sauce bottle dies at 85

TOKYO — The Japanese designer responsible for both the classic soy sauce bottle and the train connecting Tokyo to its major international airport has died, his company said Monday.

Kenji Ekuan, who was 85, was the brains behind the sauce dispenser first used by Kikkoman in Japan in 1961.

The upside-down funnel shape with a red cap was subsequently exported around the globe and became visual shorthand for soy sauce as the craze for Japanese food swept abroad.

Ekuan, who was also a Buddhist monk, was credited with numerous corporate logos during Japan’s industrial boom era, as well as creating the look of Yamaha’s VMAX motorcycles and the Narita Express train that ferries passengers to and from Tokyo’s main international gateway.

A former president of the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design, and a recipient of the council’s Colin King Grand Prix, Ekuan was also made officier de L’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by France and awarded the Order of the Rising Sun by Japan.

The company he founded, GK Design Group, said he died on Sunday after suffering from sinus problems.
    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• THAT'S soy sauce? That explains a lot about me hating sake.

Also explains the tradition of being hit with a broom by every mama-san in every restaurant there.
      Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• RIP Coach and Mr. Sabol.

IIRC, Steve Sabol (Ed's son) passed away a few years ago from cancer.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
          Dan, I heard that story from Ashley Judd in the late 80's when we were dating.
          I know for a fact that Dano DID date Ashley Judd!

I was dating Wynonna Judd at the same time and she kept telling me that her sister was dating this amazing guy from Michigan who had the smallest penis she had ever seen.

Ashley called him "Mighty Mouse" :-D

Comment

• You're right about Steve Sabol, YT, and that's who I was thinking of earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
              You're right about Steve Sabol, YT, and that's who I was thinking of earlier.
              Can you please call my wife and tell her I was right?

Comment

• Sure, do you mind if it's a collect call though?

Comment

Sure, do you mind if it's a collect call though?
                  Not at all.

Her number is yt's-my-bitch

It's a 900 number. $3.95 per minute and all incoming calls have the charges reversed
                  Last edited by YT; February 10, 2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• lol

Comment

Hasn't Ed Sabol been sick for quite awhile now? When he got enshrined into the HoF I thought his son accepted the award for him. Maybe it was just all the tributes they had at the time made it seem like he wasn't doing well.

I'm guessing anyone who's been to an Japanese restaurant will recognize this bottle.

Ha!

I have one of those bottles in my fridge holding soy sauce as this is typed.
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
                        RIP Coach and Mr. Sabol.

IIRC, Steve Sabol (Ed's son) passed away a few years ago from cancer.
                        Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                        You're right about Steve Sabol, YT, and that's who I was thinking of earlier.
                        Reading is fundamental.

From the article: He turned over the role to his son Steve, who died in 2012 at the age of 69.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Oops

Comment

• "I didn't realize Sabol was that old. Holy shit."
                            -----------------------------------You might be thinking of his son Steve?

"Reading is fundamental."
                            ----------------------YEP.

I always associated Soy sauce with China and to a lesser extent to all of the Asian community. I certainly ain't giving no credit to the fucking Japs who bombed Pearl Harbor.

disclaimer: The last sentence is in no way, form, or fashion, meant as a hatred, dislike, or bias to the Japanese people. It's suppose to be tongue and cheek.
                            Last edited by DanO; February 10, 2015, 01:13 PM.
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Its all oriental

<?>{
                              Last edited by Panoptes; February 10, 2015, 02:54 PM.
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                                Dan, I heard that story from Ashley Judd in the late 80's when we were dating.

I had no idea DanO and Dan V used to date.
                                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Working...
                                X