• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deacon Blues View Post
    Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69

March 4, 2008, 3:39 PM EST

The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.

Gygax always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans, many of whom would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, his wife said. Despite his declining health, he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons as recently as January, she said.

"It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he gave them," Gail Gygax said. "He really enjoyed that."

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out their adventures with the help of complicated rules. The quintessential geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a whole genre of computer games that's still growing in popularity.

Born Ernest Gary Gygax, he grew up in Chicago and moved to Lake Geneva at the age of 8. Gygax's father, a Swiss immigrant who played violin in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, read fantasy books to his only son and hooked him on the genre, Gail Gygax said.

Gygax dropped out of high school but took anthropology classes at the University of Chicago for a while, she said. He was working as an insurance underwriter in the 1960s, when he began playing war-themed board games.

But Gygax wanted to create a game that involved more fantasy. To free up time to work on that, he left the insurance business and became a shoe repairman, she said.
    Gygax also was a prolific writer and wrote dozens of fantasy books, including the Greyhawk series of adventure novels.

Gary Sandelin, 32, a Manhattan attorney, said his weekly Dungeons & Dragons game will be a bit sadder on Wednesday night because of Gygax's passing. The beauty of the game is that it's never quite the same, he said.

Funeral arrangements are pending. Besides his wife, Gygax is survived by six children, and a level 55 Ranger with Uber-Hit points.

No problem. A level 15 resurrection spell and he's as good as new.
    AXE 'EM!

Comment

• Charlton Heston has passed away at the age of 84. One of the greatest actors of all time whom had some of the most memorable roles in some of the greatest movies ever made.

RIP
      Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• I dont know if CH will be most remembered for his roles in Ben Hur and Ten Commandments or as the gun toting nut leading the NRA.....

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
          I dont know if CH will be most remembered for his roles in Ben Hur and Ten Commandments or as the gun toting nut leading the NRA.....
          HUH?
          the guy championed the cause of our constitutional right to bear arms just how does that make him a nut?
          I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
            I dont know if CH will be most remembered for his roles in Ben Hur and Ten Commandments or as the gun toting nut leading the NRA.....
            More like for the line, "Get your hands off me you damn dirty ape!!!"
            ------------
            <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• "It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!"
              Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• "I dont know if CH will be most remembered for his roles in Ben Hur and Ten Commandments or as the gun toting nut leading the NRA....."
                -------------------------------------As Drew said what about leading the NRA makes him a NUT????

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                  "I dont know if CH will be most remembered for his roles in Ben Hur and Ten Commandments or as the gun toting nut leading the NRA....."
                  -------------------------------------As Drew said what about leading the NRA makes him a NUT????

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
                  watn't me
                  ------------
                  <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
                    "It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!"

Now with more girls..........
                    The only logical explanation is:
                    I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• RIP Mr. Heston!

Comment

• [youtube]Cmw6Jne0tAQ[/youtube]
                        I am the lizard king - I can do anything

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew View Post
                          watn't me
                          * raises hand *
                          I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008

Comment

• now Charelton will relenquish his right to bear arms. like he said "From My Cold Dead Hands", rip to a great american
                            If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• I wish the NRA would turn on the AARP because they are more dangerous to this country's future financial stability than any other.
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• RIP Charles.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
                                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X