Jared Goff’s next contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared Goff’s next contract

I loathe when threads get made for random Lions news / talk but feel this one needs it.

When the Lions traded for Goff I didn’t think he’d be anything more than a bridge. Hell he was regulated to being a 3rd string QB his last year in LA with what some people perceived as one of the best coaches in all of football.

The front office said that they believed he was more than that but I didn’t believe their company line. From the time he walked into the building he didn’t look confident but he seemed like a really chill guy. He said all the right stuff never breaking character from a positive personality. He took in our city not acting like he was too cool for it or just here because of a trade.

You guys have been here seeing the same shit I have. My mind is changed and so is Goff. He’s a completely different player than when he showed up day 1. He’s confident and carrying himself with moxy and he’s playing at a really high level. Every time they have the ball I believe he’ll drive them down for a score.

He faced Fitzpatricks “poor man’s Matt Ryan” like a baller standing up for himself on national tv. The question is, what do you guys think? They’ll have to do something this offseason or it won’t instil the same confidence. Would you guys extend for 40-50 mil?
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

I think I would, but I would also consider what is going to happen with the guy who really helped his game: Ben Johnson. I hope the Lions have him locked up for longer than this season.
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

They probably have no other choice. That’s the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
        I think I would, but I would also consider what is going to happen with the guy who really helped his game: Ben Johnson. I hope the Lions have him locked up for longer than this season.
        Ben Johnson is definitely a thought but maybe Ben Johnson isn’t Ben Johnson without Goff.

Truth be told if the Lions keep playing like they are I don’t think we have to worry about getting great minds to come here. Detroit is now a destination.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

They have to sign him. They are really moving forward. Why pull the plug on that.
          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Originally posted by DanO View Post
            They have to sign him. They are really moving forward. Why pull the plug on that.
            Amen
            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Goff has earned it.

Roster construction is very important if the Lions are going to go all into Goff. Such as the OLine needing to remain a strength. Goff operates at his best when he is given the opportunity to drop back and read the defense. I would hope the Lions can invest more draft resources into the OLine in 2024 to help out the depth/ long term upside of the unit. Extend Sewell too.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Goff has been better than could possibly have been expected. The only thing I'd really like to see is to have him work on his body. He probably has tried in the past ... but I've always figured that he'd be that much better if he was even a bit stronger or more athletic. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe he's tried and it just isn't him.

As for signing him ... yeah I guess they have to. If they move on, it's much more likely they'd end up with worse than with better ... unless Hooker really pans out
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

In my dreams the Lions extend him for a Geno Smith like contract, but that's clearly not happening.. Like Froot says, QB contracts always end of higher than you expect. And if he keeps playing like he has, you are probably talking 4 years/$180M or something in that range.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                    Goff has earned it.

Roster construction is very important if the Lions are going to go all into Goff. Such as the OLine needing to remain a strength. Goff operates at his best when he is given the opportunity to drop back and read the defense. I would hope the Lions can invest more draft resources into the OLine in 2024 to help out the depth/ long term upside of the unit. Extend Sewell too.
                    I was thinking the same thing about OL. I’m not wanting them to wait to see who drops but if they find a can’t miss tackle or OG that’s destined for pro bowls I hope they trade up for them. Keep the OL stacked
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

This isn't a blank-check situation in my mind.

Goff does a great job playing within himself. He runs the offense and doesn't turn over the ball a whole lot...but if things aren't going well, he doesn't have the ability to put the team on his back.

Goff is kind of a guy who's near the bottom of that 2nd tier of QBs. What is that worth?

Comment

I don't think it's that hard to triangulate. The top guys are getting $50M+ average annual deals. Daniel Jones got $40M. Goff will get deal between $40-$50M annual per year. And if he keeps playing like he has, it will be closer to the top end of that than the bottom, unless he takes a rare hometown discount.

The interesting thing to me will be the number of years. I can't see him taking less than 4, but who knows.
                        Last edited by Mainevent; October 2, 2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
                          This isn't a blank-check situation in my mind.

Goff does a great job playing within himself. He runs the offense and doesn't turn over the ball a whole lot...but if things aren't going well, he doesn't have the ability to put the team on his back.

Goff is kind of a guy who's near the bottom of that 2nd tier of QBs. What is that worth?

WTF???? Bottom of second tier. Thanks for the guffaw Nick.
                          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

It's an honest estimation.

I see him at the bottom of the top 1/3 of NFL starting QBs...he ranks between 9-12.

Comment

Simply being stable with Goff will stack some division titles for us while Minnesota starts over at QB, while GB lives in denial about Love, and while da Bears flubberbus around and do stupid shit. Now is not the time for us to roll the dice on a new QB.
                              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Working...
                              X