Lessons to learn and a storm to weather - but a great, great year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons to learn and a storm to weather - but a great, great year

First things first. This was never, ever, ever going to be The Year. Not with that defense! And frankly, you can't win it all by gambling all the time unless you have an all-timer like Mahomes under centre. We've done so well to get this far... but sooner or later, both the D and even Goff were going to get found out.

As, of course, was Dan Campbell himself. These aren't just completely uncharted waters for this organisation (we had no shot at all in the 1991 NFC Championship Game - we certainly had a shot last night), but for our Head Coach too. It's a learning curve; he has to reflect on his mistakes and what he can do better, as all the players and staff do.

The danger now is that the media and (some) fans end up blaming him for what just happened. These being the Lions, that narrative could take on a life of its own, leaving players questioning him (and this team is nothing without every player believing in their leader 100%) and the local press turning against him, especially if next season starts badly. It could spiral very quickly. That's what happens at snakebitten teams who appear to be 'cursed': it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, that Sispyphean boulder constantly proving immovable.

The '91 Lions were young - very young actually - and seemed to have a fantastic future. But Wayne Fontes wildly overreacted to one whupping by one of the greatest teams of all time, ditched our offense and OC altogether, and the rest was unhappy history: exacerbated by horribly weak ownership and an HC who became a parody of himself, hated by his own ludicrously messed around, chopped and changed players. That sort of thing must not happen again.

Instead, we have to take the (many, many) positives, move on, and realise it's not just about giving the city and state its pride back. It's about building a team which all things being equal, is supposed to win Championships. Really, that's how the Red Sox and Cubs ended their interminable droughts. Until it finally happened, even in their best years, neither had ever been obviously the best, obviously dominant. Merely "they have a shot if everything falls their way". But for all but one team in any postseason, everything doesn't fall their way.

In our case, turning from huge overachievers into major contenders, even favourites, is gonna require a much better defense and probably, an upgrade at quarterback. Clearly, it's also gonna need Campbell to dial it back somewhat. It's very plausible that the only reason he risks so much so often is because he knows how fragile the D is; therefore, it's been "score as many we can as quickly as we can". But against objectively superior opponents, who've been in contention for several years now and have the experience to handle these occasions, that can and just has led to overreaching ourselves.

The first call to go for it was understandable - but still objectively wrong, because it risked giving the home team life and getting their fans right into it, instead of calmly moving three scores ahead again. The second call to go for it was flat out crazy: specifically because it showed no feel for the circumstances of the game at all. Across all sports, trying to force things never ever works.

When that second call was made, we desperately needed to calm down and get back to basics. A field goal tying things up would've given San Fran something to think about. Instead, we all but handed the game to them on a plate in a situation when risking it all was flat out not necessary. And even then, we actually took way too long to score on that final drive. The right thing to do would've been take an FG much earlier, preserving the three timeouts instead of fatally giving one away.

Something else too. Ending 'The Curse' actually requires everyone in the organisation to accept, even embrace, that plenty of people believe one genuinely exists: meaning that one thing going wrong can turn all too fast into everything going wrong amid horrible anxiety terrifyingly fast. Again, that was part of how the Red Sox and Cubs ultimately got over the hump, the former especially.

Because what just happened to the Lions is not normal for organisations used to winning... or even just those who win every now and then. A drop on 4th down followed by a freakish completion which wouldn't happen in 100 tries followed by the return bouncing off a Lions player into the endzone followed by a fumble followed by the same player as earlier again dropping it (this time embarrassingly) followed by an incredible chance to down it at the 1 yard line being screwed up followed by another failure when stupidly gambling on 4th down. The first six of those all happened one after another: BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG, and a 17-point lead had vanished in the blink of an eye.

Hands up all those who were really confident we'd win at half time? I know I wasn't. I thought we still needed another two touchdowns. Many HCs would've gone too conservative and passive in that situation, and ended up losing late in grim, fateful fashion. Campbell simply went too far in the other direction.

Life, like sport, is all about balance. Knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. Probably the hardest thing in the world for any team leader and final decision maker in sport is to establish and maintain that balance - because everyone in life makes mistakes all the time, least of all in the white hot heat of an atmosphere like that. That requires intuition, guts, ruthless rationality and detached objectivity all at the same time; it also requires reading what's happening and responding to it, not just sticking to your guns in all circumstances. Bloody-mindedness is one thing. Outright stupidity is quite another.

I'm proud of every single person at the organisation for everything that's been achieved to this point - and will always believe it was Martha Firestone Ford who started this long journey when she cleaned house in 2015. Yes, she then got key decisions wrong, very wrong even; but the culture started changing right there. She got those decisions wrong for the right reasons: wholly unlike her late husband, she wasn't prepared to accept going .500 and getting a wild card every now and then.

She's 98 now. There's still a window to make the dream of her and every Lions fan everywhere come true - but only if the right lessons are learned, and the close season features rigorous analysis and reflection as well as another excellent draft. I think we're still two seasons away from having a major, major chance: which includes getting the #1 seed and homefield throughout the playoffs. We're still - we always will be - a dome team. Certainly not as stereotyped as under Fontes or Caldwell; but on the road against quality opponents and very loud fans, we'll always be up against it and liable to come up short.

The record of dome teams on the road in NFC Championship games is quite apocalyptically awful. That's the biggest single reason the Vikings have such a disastrous record in those games. You have to get the top seed; and before anyone suggests it, no, the atrocious refs in Dallas didn't cost us it. The Niners would've played their starters had they needed to v the Rams - and they're a better team than the Rams.

So that should be the next target. As it is, we have a better platform from which to build than at any point in at least 32 years, and probably over sixty. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to the Detroit Lions for the wonderful ride this season has been. To Campbell himself above all. He completely embodies the spirit of the city: his passion, his drive, his courage has dragged us through sheer force of will to where we are now.

But where are now could vanish in no time if the right calls aren't now made. We've got this high up the mountain. Now it's about putting ourselves in the best possible position to take those last two monumental steps to the summit.
    Last edited by thebigfeller; January 29, 2024, 12:06 AM.

Signed,

The Lions PR Dept.
    Apathetic No More.

Comment

I like tacos.
      Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Is CJ on his way out of town?
        3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
        10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post
          I'm much more concerned about, for want of a better way of putting it, BJ. Because he's gonna be missed hugely.

Comment

I said at some point halfway through the season that the Lions need one more playmaker at every level of the defense, and I still think that's mostly true. They were getting by with smoke and mirrors pretty much all year, but once the illusion was figured out, it was boat race time and teams were scoring touchdowns pretty much every drive. A CB1 (maybe even a CB2 if Sutton can't shake off a horrid second half of the season), another DE and another DT. Unfortunately, the holes they need to fill are some of the hardest ones to fill.

They were gashed too often too easily by elusive QBs. They have to stop letting that happen; there are simply too many good dual-threat QBs in the league nowadays. Part of that is bolstering the talent on the defensive line, part of it is actually maintaining gap discipline. Hutch was terrible at giving up his gap trying to do too much, for example.

Offensively, they're gonna have to really think about the depth on the OL. Ragnow and Decker are getting long in the tooth, and the depth behind them really was shaky at best.

Comment

The tackling issues were bad tonight. Purdy should not be that hard to tackle.

The safety play needs to be much better, they had some big splash plays and are good in blitzing. But lord help the corner if he is looking for help over the top.

Tonight was weird because I think Chemiclord was right that the Niners kind of solved the Lion D. But not like most teams did throwing at will. There was a lot of weird broken plays. The Chef D is going to work over Purdy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post
                Am I the only one not that enamored with CJ? I'm ok letting him walk.

Comment

He is annoying. I'm not sure about letting him walk, but that's a question for another day. He didn't show much in his limited time with the Lions. By how much his mouth runs, he needs to be an All Pro to justify the talk.

Comment

He's no Darius Slay.
                    Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

This seems to be overlooked some, Goff missing Gibbs for a TD late in the first half was enormous. 28-7 would've made it really tough for the 49ers and the 4th down gambles might not have happened. The flow of the game would've been very different.

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        He is annoying. I'm not sure about letting him walk, but that's a question for another day. He didn't show much in his limited time with the Lions. By how much his mouth runs, he needs to be an All Pro to justify the talk.
                        There’s a reason why the Eagles let him go. I like having some rah rah guys but you got to back it up on the field

Comment

I am not a fan of trash talking players, but he made the secondary better when he came back from injury. They also got good play (overall) from a street free agent in Valdor.

As bad as the secondary play was this year, I think they actually over achieved. If they can add a #1 corner in the off season, they would be much better. I think Mosely will be an FA next year, but don't know what his injury status is or will be, but I think they were counting on him this year. Maybe he could be a piece that could help and I imagine he would not be very expensive.
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

I feel like I do not have a compass or direction this morning. I am in purgatory and have to wait for nine months to get a chance to get out again.

Yes, Dan Gambler should have kicked the FGs. Of course, points are points, and the Lion's defense held the 49ers to FG tries a few times. That is Dan, though, and you have to take the good with the bad.​
                            Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Originally posted by GALion68 View Post
                              This seems to be overlooked some, Goff missing Gibbs for a TD late in the first half was enormous. 28-7 would've made it really tough for the 49ers and the 4th down gambles might not have happened. The flow of the game would've been very different.
                              There are lots of plays they want back, there always are. Goff missed 2 TD opportunities, and frankly, JAMO should have come down with another ball; I can't blame Goff on that one. Goff did underthrow JAMO once but he was under pressure (Goff pressure)
                              Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Working...
                              X