NFL offseasons simulations and NFL Mock Draft games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL offseasons simulations and NFL Mock Draft games

Normally this would be Futureshock doign this but he has passed on (and you know the first thing he did up there was find the season the Lions won the SB and watched it). This year the Lions draft seems very tied to who they get in FA. So that is what I did and I suspect once a week and dialing up more often in later March until the draft. I ponied up to run on the Ultimate GM site for the FA sim and then the draft. Below is the result of what I did

Restructed
    Tracy Walker

Resigned
    G Jonah Jackson 5.425 million cap hit/4 years

Cut
    WR Tom Kennedy

Signed
    Edge Danielle Hunter 10.5 million cap hit/5 years
    CB L'Javius Sneed 10.15 million cap hit/4 years
    WR Josh Reynolds 5.8125 million cap hit/3 years
    DL A'shawn Robinson 3.6 million cap hit/2 years
    K Wil Lutz 2.625 million cap hit/4 years
    TE Irv Smith 1.8 cap hit/2 years

For the most part I wanted to limit the contracts to 4 years and under, because I think once you start hitting 5-6 years and beyond that is wher you start running into trouble. Hunter I did go to the 5th year, because I believe he is a force multiplier for the DL and Secondary. That being said I also wanted to get a top level CB to deepen the depth in the seconday and now you have Sutton as a CB2 and now you have Jacobs and Vildor as some nice depth and if you go CB in the draft they don't have to come in and start from Day 1. Reynolds was a bit higher and a year longer than I wanted but I wanted to keep him as he has very good chemistry with Goff. And i am not going to quibble over a slight overpay. Robinson is a guy that can plug in against the run. Smith was signed a TE because I can picture someone wanting Brock Wright in FA and the Lions are not going to put a first or second round tender on him. Lutz is the tyoe of FG needed for a legit SB contender.

I had about 32 million in cap space after FA I figured wanting 8-10 million for the rookies which leaves 10-15 million for other signings/post June 1st cuts and the rest (7-14 million) for season use/extensions/roll over

Draft

1) Graham Barton OL
    2) Kris Jenkins DL
    3) Khryee Jackson CB
    3) Brenden Rice WR
    5) Marshawn Lloyd RB
    6) Omar Speights LB
    7) Dominic Lovett WR

Barton is a future starter on the line. He has average arm length so probably at G. He went from C (430 snaps as a freshman) and started the next 3 years as Duke's LT. He would be a possible Ragnow replacement. Jenkins can play inside and outside on the defensive line. He still has some pass rushing upside. He as is also a potential starter. Jackson is a press corner that has all the physical traits (6'2 4.44 40 with above average arm length and span). He is very comfortable playing press man---less so in zones but that can be taught. With his addition and Sneed suddenly the CB room looks a lot deeper and competitive than last year. I was beyond thrilled to see Brenden Rice (Jerry Rice's son) there @92. He is prototyope outside WR (6'2, 212 4.38 40) and yes while snaps might be hard at first (with Sun God, Jamo and Reynolds ahead of him) he also is very good KR and PR when he played at Colorado. With Raymond as a FA . A willing blocker and Pretty good YAC guy makes him a multi threat guy. Marshawn Lloyd has very good speed and is a small compact guy (5'7 217). Comfortable running inside and outside. Willing blocker (though tends to cut more in pass pro than to put a head in the stomach....that is correctable). Good pass catcher. He would be like a blend of Gibbs and Montgomery and might pose a real challenge to Netflix. Speights is very much a coverage LB with good instincts there. He is smaller and can be pushed past the pocket in his rush. Possibly a good ST with his instincts and pretty good LB speed (4.65 40). Lovett is a pure value pick here. He has speed though small (5'7) and creates seperation by extending his arms when he catches. His slight build (177 lbs) pretty much makes him a slot guy/returner.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Should’ve called it the “Future Thread”

Ive got to say, I tried some sims and this shit isn’t as fun when all the good players are gone. Winning is so awesome it’s taken the draft day fun out of things!
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

I really like Brendan Rice as a middle round option. Another guy that seems like a Holmes/DC fit and probably will go in that 3-4 range.

Like the thought process for the FA - but I'm skeptical that they will spend on one high end FA, much less 2 (or 3 if you lump in Jackson). Holmes seemed to indicate as much or at least hint at not chasing big money guys, but we'll see if that holds true.
      Last edited by Mainevent; February 19, 2024, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I’d take that CB from Chicago in FA. He had a good year
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

The reason Jaylon Johnson doesn’t have an extension done with Chicago yet is he is reportedly asking to be the highest paid CB in the league. The GM has already said JJ is not going anywhere, so assume he gets franchised if they don’t work out a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
            Should’ve called it the “Future Thread”

Ive got to say, I tried some sims and this shit isn’t as fun when all the good players are gone. Winning is so awesome it’s taken the draft day fun out of things!
            It's still fun though but this is the first time in a very long time that it feels FA will really dictate the draft.
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
              I really like Brendan Rice as a middle round option. Another guy that seems like a Holmes/DC fit and probably will go in that 3-4 range.

Like the thought process for the FA - but I'm skeptical that they will spend on one high end FA, much less 2 (or 3 if you lump in Jackson). Holmes seemed to indicate as much or at least hint at not chasing big money guys, but we'll see if that holds true.
              I actually expect Goff extension to get done before FA so they have an idea what cap implications are down the line. But that wasn't an option in the game. That was the other reason I wanted to keep contracts 4 years and under.

I remain skeptical that Holmes goes for more than one high priced guy. I went after Hunter from Day 1. Sneed was still out there after Hunter signed so went after him. I am not sure Sneed is the Lions type.

But last year Holmes turned the safeties from a big weakness to a big strength and I could see that happening at CB.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                The reason Jaylon Johnson doesn’t have an extension done with Chicago yet is he is reportedly asking to be the highest paid CB in the league. The GM has already said JJ is not going anywhere, so assume he gets franchised if they don’t work out a deal.
                Highest paid CB? Come on bro. He’s up and coming for sure but highest paid. No way
                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

PFF had Johnson as the #1 cover corner in the league and 2nd in their overall rankings behind Sauce. Ratings and rankings can be different where you look, but being the top paid guy is often more about timing than it is anything else.

Whether that type of massive deal or not, the point is he's not some nice CB that's going to be hitting the market. He one of the top players at his position about to hit his prime. Chicago is not letting him walk and he's going to get paid, this year or next.
                  Last edited by Mainevent; February 19, 2024, 01:37 PM.

Comment

There is no chance the Lions could get Jaylen Johnson for anything less than being the the top paid CB. Even if they wanted to pay him that, they would have to pony up something in a trade to get him. Basically, it's a Lloyd Christmas chance.

Comment

All reports I've read on Jackson put his contract close to $10M/yr. Honestly, I don't really know, but I would definitely be on board for $5.5M. If he's closer to $10, then I'm expecting to lose him

I'm expecting that we'll sign a good but not great vet CB, someone with only a couple good years left like Gilmore and then draft a future CB1.

I'm hoping that the Eagles decide to cut Slay in June and save themselves $11M -- and of course we jump on that and bring him home. Slay, Gilmore and a 1st round CB to add to Sutton and our CB room will be looking really good.

Oh, and I second Jaadam's suggestion that we rename the thread to something like Future Lions 2024 or something.

Comment

The one good thing that gives me hope on Jackson is that it's a fairly deep pool of interior OL - that might keep the price down a bit. But as is always the case, all it takes is one team to really like a guy - Ben Powers and Nate Davis got $10M+ deals last year, so JJ could certainly be in that range.

By the same token, since it is a deep class, the Lions should have a number of options to look at for a vet replacement, especially if they want to plug the hole for a year or two while they develop younger replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by El Axe View Post
                          All reports I've read on Jackson put his contract close to $10M/yr. Honestly, I don't really know, but I would definitely be on board for $5.5M. If he's closer to $10, then I'm expecting to lose him

I'm expecting that we'll sign a good but not great vet CB, someone with only a couple good years left like Gilmore and then draft a future CB1.

I'm hoping that the Eagles decide to cut Slay in June and save themselves $11M -- and of course we jump on that and bring him home. Slay, Gilmore and a 1st round CB to add to Sutton and our CB room will be looking really good.

Oh, and I second Jaadam's suggestion that we rename the thread to something like Future Lions 2024 or something.
                          Well that is the cap hit.not the total value. I think his total was like 30 over 4....and was before he hit a really good FA G market.

Comment

I could handle having Big Play Slay back in the D but we'd definitely need to draft a future CB1.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Anybody still interested in Mike Evans at all? He's just finished his 10th straight (out of 10 years played) 1k + yard season. Still a huge threat and the kind of player the Lions lack offensively. I dunno
                              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

Working...
                              X