Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
    I believe he played much better in the begining of the season than he did towards the end. It might be due to playing through an injury but Top is partially correct that it disgusted me to hear him tell how happy he was to play in Detroit then bolted when he found out he was not going to get a premium contract.

I know the Lions were not in a hurry to resign him but I do not think he got a much better contract than was being talked about offered by the Lions.
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    When you're a team as poor as the Lions, trying to lowball a player is going to come across as much more of an insult than a team with recent success.

Hometown discounts only go so far.
    And it may have been because the Lion's weren't in a hurry to sign him that negated any hometown loyalty he had.
    "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
      When you're a team as poor as the Lions, trying to lowball a player is going to come across as much more of an insult than a team with recent success.

Hometown discounts only go so far.
      New management did one year contracts to make sure that they could contribute.

Lions were not lowballing, they were offering a contract that was equal to his performance for the last contract.

He did not deserve a premium contract and again....I am suggesting he took less to play with Pitt than was offered for him to remain a Lion.

With that said, Russ Thomas was the king of lowballing contracts. I still hate that jackass because every guy he dumped put more money in his pocket but he did not get to spend it because he died before he could.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• The thing is if Larry Foote was Jack Knee who hailed from San Diego and was an Aztec we wouldn't have given this much thought. I've said it before, he wasn't noticeably better than Paris Lenon, statistically he wasn't better. He got a free pass because he was vociferous in wanting to play for the Lions, he came from Pittsburgh and was from the Metro area/Michigan. On the field he wasn't a difference maker.

Comment

He did not deserve a premium contract and again....I am suggesting he took less to play with Pitt than was offered for him to remain a Lion.
          I'd dare say roughly 90% of players will take less money to play for a contender than take more money to play for a basement dweller if they have the choice.

Comment

I'd dare say roughly 90% of players will take less money to play for a contender than take more money to play for a basement dweller if they have the choice.

I'm not going to say that Foote was wronged. He wasn't. But don't blame him for coming to Detroit then bailing when the Lions themselves weren't exactly eager to bring him back.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              The thing is if Larry Foote was Jack Knee who hailed from San Diego and was an Aztec we wouldn't have given this much thought. I've said it before, he wasn't noticeably better than Paris Lenon, statistically he wasn't better. He got a free pass because he was vociferous in wanting to play for the Lions, he came from Pittsburgh and was from the Metro area/Michigan. On the field he wasn't a difference maker.
              Paris Lenon made stops 10 yards after the line of scrimmage. His 120 tackles that year look good on paper, but that is just because the rest of the team couldn't. I would argue he had more time to "perfect" the Lions D or just playing with the team in general, and he got outplayed by an over aged veteran who walked on the team as an experiment.

Anyone see the clip during preseason last year as Paris Lenon fell for a pump fake and jumped spastically in the air taking himself out of a scrambling play? He needs to go back to arena.
              AAL - Glover Quinn

Comment

• Just read in the Free Press that the Red Wings have signed Patrick Eaves to a 1 year deal for $750,000.
                Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by maxw3ll View Post
                  Paris Lenon made stops 10 yards after the line of scrimmage. His 120 tackles that year look good on paper, but that is just because the rest of the team couldn't. I would argue he had more time to "perfect" the Lions D or just playing with the team in general, and he got outplayed by an over aged veteran who walked on the team as an experiment.

Anyone see the clip during preseason last year as Paris Lenon fell for a pump fake and jumped spastically in the air taking himself out of a scrambling play? He needs to go back to arena.
                  Larry Foote was exactly blowing up tackles at the LOS either Hoss. I can remember about two. Lenon may have mastered the 10 yard tackle but Foote wasn't even matching that. He just wasn't that good.

Comment

• Larry Foote was making his tackles 5 yards off the LOS.

Comment

• more proof the team is improving
                      The only logical explanation is:
                      I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                        Larry Foote was making his tackles 5 yards off the LOS.
                        I guess, somebody has to keep stats on this sort of thing. To me the Foote signing was a big nothingburger. Although as always with the Lions, letting him go is an iffy proposition when you see who they have to give plays to in his absence. He may be a Youtube sensation and he might be Lady Janes best spokesman but relying on Zach "the Pain Train" Follett seems a little risky. And do they have anybody waiting in the wings should one of these three chaps get hurt? The Donald Bly signing has focused the attention on the very thin secondary, but LB corpse is not too far behind on the concern factor.

Comment

• Foote was on getting long in the tooth, was playing MLB in a 4-3 instead of ILB in a 3-4 and had crapola players playing around him in Detroit instead of good to great players in Pitts.

Comment

• Why is my Red Wing thread hijacked? Red Wings have signed restricted free-agent forward Patrick Eaves to a one-year deal. It?s worth $750,000 Meanwhile, say good bye to Brett Lebda - The Toronto Maple Leafs signed unrestricted free-agent defenseman to a two-year contract Wednesday (good place for him to showcase his talent).

Comment

• I mentioned the Eaves signing earlier, hadn't heard of Ledba leaving though. Oh well.
                              Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Oh right, I missed that :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X