Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
    That's silly, Mark. Why would a player return to a franchise if he knew he was not going to be treated in a manner that matched his skill level? These guys are not dogs.
    I don't think I even hinted that the coaching staff thinks he is a dog.

The coaching staff has a problem. They have a ton of talented players and when a certain group of players are statistically inferior, he has to shake up the lines to create a change.

When a coach has you penciled in as a starter and finds out you are not available to him that year, it becomes a problem he does not forget.

If I remember correctly, that line has a problem with the plus minus stat. Huds has a -6 and Modano has a -7. The FA acquisition vet got the benefit of doubt over the younger player that dissed the org by taking the money and running.

Additionally, Modano has a better blue line shot on the PP.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• It's going to take time for Modano to work into our system. I can see it taking him a good half a season to really start clicking here. He still has good speed and great instincts he just looks like he's gonna need a little time.

I really look to the playoffs for him to show what a great pickup he is. I dont care if he nets 20 goals or kills in assists in the regular season but they need to find a good combo so he can start making the transition better.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I like seeing Ericcson and Lids paired up together. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that he steps his game up.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I don't think Lidstrom needs to step up his game.

Comment

• Nice game last night. Howard looked strong after a small layoff. Ericsson also looked good. Abdelkader needs to stay in the lineup.

I'd actually look into trading Hudler. If we could get the rights to Radulov from Nashville that would be ideal.

Comment

• Mike Millbury is impressed:

Red Wings' work ethic unparalleled
              Dan Cleary is committed to the Red Wings' two-way game. (Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

I wandered to the couch after a night watching the Bruins toy with the Buffalo Sabres. It's hard to fathom how Buffalo has fallen so quickly and interesting to see the positives in Boston (Tim Thomas, Jordan Caron, increased offense, balance) that appear to make them a contender.
              As I parked my keister on the sofa, I tuned into the lone remaining game on the NHL schedule: the Red Wings visiting Calgary. It was a close tilt, at least on the scoreboard. It finished 3-2 in favour of the Wings, but it really wasn't indicative of the control that Detroit had in this game.
              Let's get this out of the way first. The Flames need to do something to change their mindset or their personnel. It's not that they didn't work. They were pushing themselves in the skating department and looking for ways to ignite their team ... hence Jarome Iginla searching repeatedly for a fighting partner. Even that didn't work out for the Calgary. It simply appears that this team's stuck in the "woe is me" mode. Enough about that.
              Backchecking masters
              Before I even swallowed my first cashew, the Wings had grabbed my attention for one singular reason. Their work ethic is second to none. It looks like they invented backchecking.
              Darren Helm, Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader, Dan Cleary - who knew 10 years ago he would become a role model for commitment and passion - all appeared on the screen at some point, not in pursuit of a loose puck in a goal-mouth scramble, but on the damn backcheck! They actually appeared to enjoy it.
              This reminds me of a story. I coached Zigmund Palffy for a spell on Long Island. Talented but spoiled; it was a real challenge to get him to pay attention to his defensive responsibilities.
              In an overtime game against the Sharks, I can recall Palffy making a dazzling attempt to score. As luck would have it, the puck went wide and started a rush for San Jose that prompted Palffy to get back hard on defence. This shift, at the very end of overtime, was full of end-to-end action and Palffy was involved on both sides of the puck. The shift, and the game, ended (no shootouts yet) with Palffy doubled over with exhaustion.
              He didn't have the energy to linger on the ice with his teammates and headed to the room.
              I followed about 10 paces behind and I could hear Palffy mutter to himself, "This backchecking is f#$!ing killing me!" That got a chuckle out of me. The point here is Detroit doesn't have that mindset.
              Gruelling, but rewarding
              Somewhere along the line, the Wings have made backchecking something less than a chore. For Detroit, backchecking is an opportunity to get the puck back.
              That is a far different approach than Palffy's for who backchecking was like taking out the trash - a chore to be endured, but hardly relished.
              What a difference this makes to a club! Detroit's urgency to come back seems rooted in the chance to recover the puck and try to score again. It's a marvellous mental slight of hand and a joy to watch. And boy, when the Wings do recover the puck, there is no better team in the league in managing and protecting it.
              Yes, they're back, these Wings. Skilled. No question. But for a guy who toiled for Don Cherry's "Lunch Pail" Bruins, it's the art of hustle that impresses me most. Good on 'em.

Comment

• Good to see you Bill-- hope all is well in O-terry O
                If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• NICE READ!!
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FCRhodes View Post
                    I don't think Lidstrom needs to step up his game.
                    lol
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Jad read that article, but he could only think about how the Wings needed an enforcer.

Comment

• Thanks Stee.....In rereading the article it occured to me he didn't know the correct score. He had the wings winning 3=2...hmmm

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          Jad read that article, but he could only think about how the Wings needed an enforcer.
                          We do.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Every year they need one.

Comment

• Babcock didn't seem real impressed with their work ethic when they lost those two early games back to back.
                              I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Well, Babcock is rarely impressed with anything, to be honest. He can be quite the perfectionist, as I am told.

Probably what makes him as effective of a coach as he is.

Comment

Working...
                                X