Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
    Federov wanted the "C" to be a stipulation of the contract and the Wings were not going to take the C away from Yzerman to give it to Federov.
    Funny thing is Yzerman being such a great guy and captain. He probably would been willing to give it up to keep fed. Which all it would have done is proved he was a better fit for it.
    AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• I said it was rumored.

It was reported locally a few times but am not sure there would be any hard documentation to verify it. I do remember getting into conversations with other Wings fans over the outrageousness of the thought.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• The only time I've heard that is from Malto Marko. I've never heard that anywhere else. And I remember that whole period extensively, it was argued extensively in here during that season and that was never mentioned.

If he did or didn't it doesn't matter, he was a flaky guy, it might have come up. But in the long run it doesn't matter. He was one of the top three contributors along with Yzerman and Lidstrom during the three cups. His number deserves to be up there. There might be some hard feelings on that negotiation, but that is in the past, let it go.

remeber if you here it, it doesn't mean it happened. In a PR war the Red Wings have a lot of ink.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          The only time I've heard that is from Malto Marko. I've never heard that anywhere else. And I remember that whole period extensively, it was argued extensively in here during that season and that was never mentioned.

If he did or didn't it doesn't matter, he was a flaky guy, it might have come up. But in the long run it doesn't matter. He was one of the top three contributors along with Yzerman and Lidstrom during the three cups. His number deserves to be up there. There might be some hard feelings on that negotiation, but that is in the past, let it go.

remeber if you here it, it doesn't mean it happened. In a PR war the Red Wings have a lot of ink.
          If anything I think maybe Fedorov wanted the captaincy after Yzerman retired and the Wings wouldn't agree to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptainBlue View Post
            If anything I think maybe Fedorov wanted the captaincy after Yzerman retired and the Wings wouldn't agree to it.
            Feds wasn't here in 06.

And to whoever it was asking about Filppula being hurt: He sprained his MCL a couple of months ago when he was playing overseas...it's fine now, or at least no one is saying it still is hurting him and he won't be ready.
            2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

• Originally posted by lions&tigers&wings...yea View Post
              Feds wasn't here in 06.

And to whoever it was asking about Filppula being hurt: He sprained his MCL a couple of months ago when he was playing overseas...it's fine now, or at least no one is saying it still is hurting him and he won't be ready.
              I know, but it doesn't mean they didn't discuss it ahead of time.

Comment

• My recollection of the whole thing is that Wings were willing to guarantee the C when Yzerman retired but, Federov thought that would be way longer than he wanted. He would have been OK with a year or two but Stevie was good enough to be around for 5 or 6 more years and he was not willing to wait that long.

Details of negotiations are hard to substantiate usually both parties wish to remain silent on the issues.

This issue was leaked (or, for those who think it is bogus, made up) to substantiate why a contract was not agreed upon/reached but was also acknowledged as not being the major factor for Federov leaving.
                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Toronto has just fired GM Brian Burke...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Cat View Post
                    Toronto has just fired GM Brian Burke...
                    Bout time, can't believe he was hired there in the first place...that guy is such an idiot. That Kessel trade was one of the worst ones to be done, if not the worst one since the last lockout.
                    2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

• Some nights Federov looked like Superman, other Clark Kent. That series with NJ he was unreal, by far the best player, but Federov was a baby. He was jealous of all the love for The Caption - Yzerman. Also had Anna messing with his fragile psyche, there is a reason you get in Scotty Bowmans dog house and not for lack of talent - Shawn Burr, Aaron Ward, Paul Coffey, Dino Ciccarelli.

Too bad, one of the all time greats for sure. Probably the fastest Red Wing ever, I do remember people saying he would love the Southern Cal lifestyle, didn't work out so well. I don't think I would retire his number.

Comment

• A lot of dimestore psychology. Out of all the warts you pointed out he was one of the three most important part parts of 3 cups. His production warrants his number be retired.

Comment

• "Some nights Federov looked like Superman, other Clark Kent"

That might be Sergei's biggest crime. Because he could make a few plays look so effortless, when he didn't produce, people assumed he wasn't trying.

Comment

• His production warrants his number be retired.
                            But the holdout, not reporting to camp after the Wings were the Cup champs in 97, and then sitting out the first half of the season was bad. Then he 'did' bolt for Anaheim after the Ducks swept the Wings in the first round, that is where Red Wing fans will never forgive him for that. Just saying, close call, but I still wouldn't retire it.

Comment

• He wasn't under contract. A holdout is when you are under contract. They told him to find an offer and come back to him.

Comment

• They did try to lowball him after the "first" Cup victory. I remember thinking that what the Wings were offering wasn't even close to what other free agents were getting with other teams and they weren't as valuable considering he helped carry the team to a Cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X