No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really wanted to watch this game, a good measuring stick. Seemed we were playing the Blues every other game, and the one game vs Chicago the Wings lost but played well. Then I accidently hit the Red Wing flagship on the radio on my way home in the car (right when the score of 4-2 was announced) :-(

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
      Exposed in the third

5-2 ANA 2 mins left

I do not recall ever seeing DET look so small.
      Froot's about the only one who doesn't see the Wings for what they are... a team on a slow decline into irrelevance. They don't have the cycle of talent they had before and an aging core of players.

Fact is, this team is slightly worse than the team that went down in 5 games in the first round last season.
      Last edited by chemiclord; February 15, 2013, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• This is the worst team since 1990-91. Having said that... the game has changed so much with the rules, parity, this watered down Gary Bettman's NHL, I still say just get in (the Playoffs) and see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
          This is the worst team since 1990-91. Having said that... the game has changed so much with the rules, parity, this watered down Gary Bettman's NHL, I still say just get in (the Playoffs) and see what happens.
          To win in the playoffs the way the Wings would have to, they'd have to get a bunch of contributions from players playing well above themselves and Howard would have to play out of his mind come playoff time.

Basically, they'd have to pull an L.A. Kings. Just because is possible doesn't mean it's likely nor that isn't stupid to try it that way.

If that's Holland's plan... someone needs to make sure that he hasn't been abducted and replaced by a Pod Person.

Comment

• Fuck, I just seen Datsyuk didn't played tonight with the dreaded 'upper body injury', day to day (?) could be 2-3 weeks. I sure hope its not a concussion, without him is like Pittsburgh without Sid.

If that's Holland's plan... someone needs to make sure that he hasn't been abducted and replaced by a Pod Person.

Signing Mikael Samuelsson and Kyle Quincey is puzzling? We've been screaming for young legs and grit, and still go on and on with guys like Dan Cleary and Miller? Holland admitted we need some young legs, yet they just do not seem like they intend to do much about it. Over all, I think this club has performed pretty well, considering half the team is injured.

Comment

• Howard needs to start stealing some games here.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                Howard needs to start stealing some games here.
                Well Mrazek gets the start today so at least we have a goalie in there that can steal games.

Sammuelsson is back in too, oh and of course Nyquist got sent back down to make room for him...there's no way Cleary could ever reduce his ice time, he gets put in the top 6 and plays like shit and does nothing productive so Babcock is like: "Okay let's put Danny boy on the PP as well."

And some stupid journalists are writing articles saying he should win the Jack Adams this year...well I call bullshit on that one.
                2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  Froot's about the only one who doesn't see the Wings for what they are... a team on a slow decline into irrelevance. They don't have the cycle of talent they had before and an aging core of players.

Fact is, this team is slightly worse than the team that went down in 5 games in the first round last season.
                  No actually I see the team for exactly what it is, they aren't slightly worse, they are much worse. Apparently you haven't been reading my posts. Thats what happens when you lose the best defenseman of the last 25 years. Its bound to happen, but it surely doesn't mean they are doomed or that they could really do much about it. Its the cycle of sports teams and the Wings have avoided it for years. They overreached last year on the free agents offering them absurd contract and both of those guys still wanted to go to Minnesota for personal reasons.

You were the one who couldn't see how much the loss of Lidstrom was going to mean to the team. You read your boy Moss's column on how they could easily replace Lidstrom and you rubber stamped the opinion.

They will not be irrelevant. Right now they are a team in transition and they will make the playoffs.
                  Last edited by froot loops; February 17, 2013, 07:07 PM. Reason: because chemiclord loves him some strawman

Comment

• You're perfectly content with the Wings staying in this holding pattern for 2-3 more years while they go nowhere.

Once the struck out on Suter and Parise, it was time to blow it all up and start over. This team, as they are... is in fact doomed. They can't win the Cup without a shit ton of luck, and they aren't getting younger to start the next era. They're just slowly wasting away, delaying the inevitable.

Comment

• You think they are going nowhere because they struck out on Parise and Suter. I don't believe in blowing up things, I thinks its nice fodder for sports talk radio and Jeff Moss types, but its highly unlikely to give you a better shot. When you blow something up, it makes you irrelevant instantly.

In fact Lion fans bought into this blow up theory when they agreed with the decision to hire Milton Millen and are still suffering for that decsion. But at the time he was blowing it up, NBT and I were the only ones protesting it. The common retort was, "Were you happy with 9-7?" As if blowing it up was better ticket to the Super Bowl. Here's a hint, it isn't.

Eventually they will figure it out, no need to blow it up, really a foolish strategy.

Comment

• And they are NOT "much worse." Losing Lidstrom hurt (and I NEVER claimed otherwise no matter what you want to pretend), but I do believe they'll prove to be a little better offensively. They'll be a 5-6 seed this year, lose in the first round... probably 7-8 next year lose in the first round... then finally they bottom out 3 years down the road.

I ask, "Why waste time in this holding pattern?" I have no doubt Holland will get this team to bounce back... why not start NOW?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          You think they are going nowhere because they struck out on Parise and Suter. I don't believe in blowing up things, I thinks its nice fodder for sports talk radio and Jeff Moss types, but its highly unlikely to give you a better shot. When you blow something up, it makes you irrelevant instantly.

In fact Lion fans bought into this blow up theory when they agreed with the decision to hire Milton Millen and are still suffering for that decsion. But at the time he was blowing it up, NBT and I were the only ones protesting it. The common retort was, "Were you happy with 9-7?" As if blowing it up was better ticket to the Super Bowl. Here's a hint, it isn't.

Eventually they will figure it out, no need to blow it up, really a foolish strategy.
                          So many non sequiters... where to begin...

Probably first and foremost... Ken Holland is not Matt Millen, for one. I'm glad to know you think so little of Holland and his accomplishments that you compare him to the worst GM in the history of ever.

Teams that try to blow it up and fail is usually because of front office incompetence. Holland is not incompetent. Why wait?

And yeah... if your ceiling is 9-7... you damn well DO blow it all up. Because 9-7 isn't good enough. The Millen Error doesn't change that, either. Not good enough is not enough. And you keep trying until it IS. What I hate about the Millen Error wasn't the attempt, but that Ford stuck with Millen for about 5 years after it was demonstrably obvious he couldn't cut it.
                          Last edited by chemiclord; February 17, 2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Why wait? It sounds like you are talking a fire sale. If they offer something great for your players. What if you don't like what they are offering, do you take it just because you've determined to Why Wait?

Thats why they don't work. Front offices are put in a bad situation, they have no leverage when you've decided. Why Wait?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              Why wait? It sounds like you are talking a fire sale. If they offer something great for your players. What if you don't like what they are offering, do you take it just because you've determined to Why Wait?

Thats why they don't work. Front offices are put in a bad situation, they have no leverage when you've decided. Why Wait?
                              Fire sale? I guess if that's what you want to call it. Sure.

I'd rather call it, "No one is off the table. If someone wants to blow me away with an offer for Datsyuk or Zetterberg... come at me, bro." It also means, "Let's bring up this talent we've been stashing in Grand Rapids rather than waste time on players like Kyle Quincey and Todd Bertuzzi."

But I can guarantee you Holland doesn't want to do that, because there would be open revolt in the Red Wins fanbase who think they still have a chance in hell, who think the playoffs and Stanley Cup contention are this team's birthright.

Comment

• "No one is off the table. If someone wants to blow me away with an offer for Datsyuk or Zetterberg... come at me, bro."

There is always a great chance you will not like the return you get for those guys. So if you do make the trade then you are incompetent, but if you don't make the trade you are badgered because you're not blowing it up. When you talk about incompetent front offices, some of the incompetence comes from the fact they traded or had to trade established players and got 50 cents on the dollar. Ask the BlackHawk fans how they liked the Chelios trade.

The reason Ken Holland is thought of as a good GM is because he's the one trading the 50 cents for the the dollar.

Comment

Working...
                                X