No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemiclord, in one breath you're criticizing the people who were panicking over the loss of Lidstrom (although I never heard anyone really panic about it), and in the next breath you're freaking out about the slow start and the fact that they missed out on Suter and Parise. I think acquiring one of those players would have been a panic-move. Holland knows what he is doing. No team is going to be able to do what the Wings did over the past 15-20 seasons ( in this salary cap era), not even the Wings. Now he has to hold on to the few stars he has, try to build around them, and hope they get a hot playoff run going.

Comment

• All you have to do is make the playoffs, get some hot goaltending and then anything can happen in the NHL.
      Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        There's no need to panic, and you are in panic mode judging by your posts.
        Panic mode? I'd have to assume that the lean years aren't inevitable and can be thwarted if something is done RIGHT NOW to be panicking.

I'm not panicking. I'm asking, "Why wait when the lean years ARE inevitable?" Because they are inevitable. It's coming, whether it's three wasted years down the road or right now.

Might as well get it over with now.

And I'm not freaking out about shit. This isn't a "slow start" at all. This is what the Wings are; a low playoff seed that will hover around .500 or a little above all season. How can I be freaking out over the Wings being exactly what they are?

I'm just not clinging to the delusions that this team, as it stands, has a realistic chance in hell of winning the Cup. I'm not hanging onto the hope that they can pull an L.A. Kings and go on a magic run as a low seed.

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        Actually yes it does matter, if you are going to trade Zetterberg or Datsyuk for some prospects and a 1st rounder I want you as an opposing GM. I hope Holland finds a guy like you to trade with, I'd trade the prospects and a 1st rounder for the Zetterberg/Datsyuk type player.
        So Kyle Quincey takes a first rounder... but NO ONE would offer up a first and a prospect for Datsyuk? Okay, pal. Whatever you say.
        Last edited by chemiclord; February 19, 2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
          So Kyle Quincey takes a first rounder... but NO ONE would offer up a first and a prospect for Datsyuk? Okay, pal. Whatever you say.

No, no, no. You are having a problem with reading comprehension. I'd rather find the guy who is willing to trade the Zetterberg/Datsyuk player for a 1st round pick and prospects. That type of trade is bat shit crazy. The Wings should be getting far, far more for a player like that.

If I'm Ken Holland I'd love to be trading partners with you.

Comment

• Hey, YOU'RE the one that said a first rounder and a prospect.

I'm the one that just wants to be willing to hear offers. No one should be sacred.

Comment

• Nope, you specifically said 1st rounder and some prospects. Thats where I got it from. And you said it didn't matter for who. If I'm a GM I'll gladly give up some prospects and a 1st rounder for Datsyuk. Holland is probably hoping for some jabrones to give him a chance at a player for such a small cost. With that type of wheeling and dealing they'll be occupying the cellar in not ime. But Why Wait?

The problem with your viewpoint is absent a trade, you'll think they didn't listen to any offers.

Comment

Nope, you specifically said 1st rounder and some prospects. Thats where I got it from. And you said it didn't matter for who. If I'm a GM I'll gladly give up some prospects and a 1st rounder for Datsyuk. Holland is probably hoping for some jabrones to give him a chance at a player for such a small cost. With that type of wheeling and dealing they'll be occupying the cellar in not ime. But Why Wait?

The problem with your viewpoint is absent a trade, you'll think they didn't listen to any offers.
                They're going to occupying the bottom of the league ANYWAY. That's the problem with your viewpoint. You think this is just another case of recycling the talent and keeping the engine running.

THE TALENT IS NOT THERE THIS TIME, at least not enough. The lean years are coming. That much is inevitable. The only question is when and how quickly will they climb out of it.

Comment

Nope, you specifically said 1st rounder and some prospects. Thats where I got it from. And you said it didn't matter for who. If I'm a GM I'll gladly give up some prospects and a 1st rounder for Datsyuk. Holland is probably hoping for some jabrones to give him a chance at a player for such a small cost. With that type of wheeling and dealing they'll be occupying the cellar in not ime. But Why Wait?

I said specifically, and I quote, "Hell it doesn't even matter to me that I get "X" for "y"." YOU are the one insistent on me making hypothetical specific deals as a strawman.

They're going to occupying the bottom of the league ANYWAY. That's the problem with your viewpoint. You think this is just another case of recycling the talent and keeping the engine running.

THE TALENT IS NOT THERE THIS TIME, at least not enough. The lean years are coming. That much is inevitable. The only question is when and how quickly will they climb out of it.

Comment

• they're doomed, got it

Comment

• You keep saying that. I'm not sure you know what it means.

Comment

• You've clued me in, thank you for that.

Comment

• What? That after a twenty plus year run, there's a dip in the teams fortunes in the near future? A dip that they'll quickly recover from with some good moves that you should have every faith that one of the most successful front offices in the history of professional sports will make?

Damn, if that's "doomed", it makes me wonder why people are so worried of impending doom.

Comment

• Hey, we have all survived the Mayan calender so, who knows what else can happen?

.......oh ya, the young Korean loose cannon.
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• While I'm not on board with trading Dats it actually could happen if Holland thinks he's going to leave to play in Russia after next year like people are saying. Get some young talent while they can i guess
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                                While I'm not on board with trading Dats it actually could happen if Holland thinks he's going to leave to play in Russia after next year like people are saying. Get some young talent while they can i guess
                                I'm not specifically on board with trading any one specific person. I'm also not making up mock trades on Real GM to show how "smart" it would be.

What I AM preaching is that it's time to take a good, long, realistic look at the future of this team. Not pipe dreams, not a curtain call for the past, but to take a look at what the Wings have... what they are GOING to have... what they are GOING to lose, and what they can realistically do to keep the winged wheel rolling.

The answers I have reached don't look too good. I look at the prospects in the organization, and I just don't see enough there. Yes, there ARE players like Brunner and Smith and Jurco who have tons of promse... but it's just... not enough, man.

The Wings have gotten along because they've been able to grow their core from within. As it stands, they'd have to fill the rest of that core in FA, and that's a dangerous go even with the most "can't miss" player (See also, Parise and Suter in Minnesota... and before Froot starts on some aha rampage, those two were ALWAYS going to be gamble, but it represented the best gamble the Wings had to make another Cup push with their current core of aging players).

So, yeah... I DO think it's time Holland asks himself, "What can I get for Datsyuk? Zetterberg? Franzen?" Players who are nearing the end of their run, and aren't going to be a part of a Stanley Cup team as it stands now. Does that mean, pull the trigger on the best offer? I suppose not (even as I've said stuff like "something" > "nothing). But hell, if say... Philadelphia wants to blow me away with two firsts, a second, and a couple 2nd or 3rd line prospects for Dats... then I'd strongly consider that deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X