No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Well, it's an odd thing. When you have a team coming off a long series and a team with extended rest, the favor is initially in the team that's been playing recently.

IF the Wings can snag a game or two while the Blackhaws are still finding their legs... they have a chance."
    ----------------------I agree but they aren't taking the first two in Chicago.
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
      BTW, Selannes stick to Howards head and then another to Eaves at the end of the second was bush league.
      Funny. according to the Ducks' announcers, in each instance the Wings players "snapped" their heads back in order to draw a penalty. The Ducks TV announcers are by far the worst in the league.
      "We'll know for the first time if we're evil or divine. We're the last in line." - Ronnie James Dio

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
        What did Steve Yzerman do to help them win this series??
        Nothing. He retired a few years ago.

Originally posted by The Cat View Post
        Chicago in 6 or wings in 7.......interesting prediction Malto...hopefully the latter prevails....

BTW....I no longer can see a quote button....on the thread.....Is there a problem with my computer settings or what?
        Yup if Wings are sluggish and get started late, they will not be able to overcome but, if they start the series like a team on a mission I believe they will take it in 7.

about the quote button, you are wearing your glasses, right?
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Nothing. He retired a few years ago.
          Sorry Mark, Stevie will always be The Captain in my book. The term, with use of caps, should be retired IMHO for the winged wheel faithful. Hank is just the guy wearing the C
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Sorry Mark, Stevie will always be The Captain in my book. The term, with use of caps, should be retired IMHO for the winged wheel faithful. Hank is just the guy wearing the C
            There are a lot of people that felt that way also when it came to the term Mr. President and Roosevelt. Fact is, when the space is vacated, a new person gets to try it on for size.
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• People called Isiah Thomas The Captain.

Comment

• They called Zeke quite a few other things too.
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• As they did with Yzerman

Comment

There are a lot of people that felt that way also when it came to the term Mr. President and Roosevelt. Fact is, when the space is vacated, a new person gets to try it on for size.
                    I heard Stevie referred to as The Captain in national media especially sportscenter his last years. It was a title he earned.

The Wings had a golden age in their captains where from 45 to 73 their captains were
                    Alex Delvecchio
                    Gordie Howe
                    Red Kelly
                    Ted Lindsay
                    Sid Abel

Then we entered the desert with
                    Alex Delvecchio
                    Nick Libett
                    Red Berenson
                    Gary Bergman
                    Ted Harris
                    Mickey Redmond
                    Larry Johnston
                    all in one year.
                    The time from then to Stevie was occupied by the following

1982 - 1986 Danny Gare
                    1981 - 1982 Reed Larson
                    1980 - 1981
                    • Errol Thompson
                    • Reed Larson

1979 - 1980 Dale McCourt
                    1978 - 1979
                    • Dennis Hextall
                    • Nick Libett
                    • Paul Woods

1977 - 1978
                    • Dan Maloney
                    • Dennis Hextall

1976 - 1977
                    • Danny Grant
                    • Dennis Polonich

1975 - 1976
                    • Danny Grant
                    • Terry Harper

1974 - 1975 Marcel Dionne

So given that backdrop, and Henrik having only worn the C for one year, it seems premature to give him the highest full honorific as the team leader. Just my opinion of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      As they did with Yzerman
                      Thomas is not worthy of being in the same sentence as Yzerman with regard to leadership and character.

Comment

Same here. The Captain part in my handle is because of Yzerman. He was always my favorite Detroit athlete.

Comment

• He was when he was with the Pistons. He led that team to two titles. That franchise was backwater franchise until they drafted him. He made them a championship team. Yeah afterwards his career took a bunch of bad turns at different places but it doesn't diminish his contributions to the Pistons. And for your argument it doesn't matter. He was referred to it pretty prominnently with the Pistons. Its not like the moniker only came with Yzerman.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            He was when he was with the Pistons. He led that team to two titles. That franchise was backwater franchise until they drafted him. He made them a championship team. Yeah afterwards his career took a bunch of bad turns at different places but it doesn't diminish his contributions to the Pistons. And for your argument it doesn't matter. He was referred to it pretty prominnently with the Pistons. Its not like the moniker only came with Yzerman.
                            Yep.
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Hmmmmmm.

Got home from Work, fixed Mama her Mothers Day Dinner, fell asleep after cleanup.

Woke up at 9:45 and put the TV on the channel the game is on.

Fell back asleep to wake up with 17:35 in the first and Detroit ahead by one.

Fell back asleep to wake up in the second intermission.

Woke up after the game was over.

Re-broadcast started at 4 and am currently watching with 6:23 left in the second (the re-broadcast is an edited version with fewer commercials and they cut right to the 10:00 mark of the second). Filppia just scored to make it 3-1.

Glad to be able to catch the action.

Where are all the Ducks fans comments? Heck, it was only 7:00 when the coverage began there.

........side note. I am a traditionalist that does not like when the Star Spangled Banner gets embellished by the performer but, I thought the young lady that did it, knocked it out of the park!

I wonder what time Selanne has reserved for his tee time today?
                              I managed to wake up for most of the second period. I fell asleep again during the intermission. When I woke up again the Tigers game was on. Had to flip over to ESPN to find out who won the game.

What a comeback by the Wings. Down 3-2 in the series and the Wings kept fighting and ended up winning the series. I'm still in shock. Even if they had lost yesterday I would've been impressed with the way they get battling back. Nice to see Zetterberg get going in the final two games. That was huge.

It was a great series, nerve wrecking, but fun nonetheless.

Sorry Panoptes. We've got a seat saved for you on the Red Wings bandwagon for the remainder of the playoffs if you'd like.
                              Last edited by CaptainBlue; May 13, 2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• I remember Thomas as the leader of the "classy" bad boys that walked off court with 8 seconds on the clock against Chicago. He may mean more to you but to me he was more of a punk than a captain

Comment

Working...
                                X