Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    I actually blame the rookies staying in GR on Holland more than Babcock. Holland has handed out some RIDICULOUS contracts over the last several years kind of forcing Babcocks hand.

Sammy, Clearly, Tootoo, Weiss.. Trading for Quincey. The multi year to Sammy was one of the dumbest deals i've seen in awhile.
    I WILL offer this caveat...

It's very possible that Holland was the one forcing the hand with the older players. I remember Holland's little "man's league" rant earlier in the season. If he was the one that was pushing the young guns down to GR to keep them stashed away, then Babcock would not be to blame at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
      Overly large image snipped
      Oh come on, man. You know I don't pull that shit.

If I am wrong, I cop to it. I don't think I am. It's not like Nyquist just exploded the minute he got steady playing time. It's not like Jurco came out of nowhere. Or Tatar. Whenever these younger players got opportunities (especially over the last two years), they were objectively and subjectively better than the guys they replaced.

These guys were then immediately buried at the end of the bench (or thrown back to GR) the moment the veterans were deemed fit to return. There needs to be a better reason for that than "paying your dues." That's just stupid. And I don't want to think Babcock and Holland are stupid.
      Last edited by chemiclord; March 23, 2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Cheniclord is right.

Comment

• Cummy Burton. What a guy. After hockey was over, Cummy returned here to Sudbury. He sold cars for a while then He worked for me as a sportscaster. He had so many hilarious stories about his up and down career with the Wings. He always roomed with Gordie Howe and when they were on the road..he would always tell hotel reception not to transfer any calls to the room for Burton because he needed his rest.....i know it took me a while to get it too.....of course there were never any calls for him, just as he always said "The Big Guy"
          Cummy is one of the truly good-hearted people you could ever meet......I still see him every now and then....He has alzheimer's and the deterioration is quite noticeable. Last year he was finally voted into the Sudbury Sports Hall of fame. I was furious that he was overlooked for so long and I made my position very clear to the selection committee.
          (More on Cummy when I have time to write ...I think you will enjoy it.)
          Last edited by The Cat; March 25, 2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Cummy Burton...

By 1973 I had moved out of broadcast programing and into journalism. Cummy was still in the job I hired him for and he was in Toronto for the NHL draft. I was there on other business and we hooked up at around ten pm. Cummy was already a few sheets to the wind. As we walked through the lobby of the hotel, Cummy ran into Bill White who had been one of the Stars the previous fall in the first Canada-Russia series. Cummy had such a great personality that after just a few minutes he got White to tell him how much the Blackhawks were paying him. Anyway Whitey had to go and told Cummy he should go see Gordie who was in the upstairs lounge. Now remember, Cummy is feeling really uninhibited. We walk into the bar and he walks over and wraps his arms around Gordie who is seated with three distinguished men in their three thousand dollar suits. Howe stands up and greets Cummy with a big smile and says Cummy you sit at that table for a few minutes with your friend. Cummy is llistening in ad realizes Gordie is in negotiations to renew his endorsement contract with CCM. Cummy saunters over and says, "I don't know what he wants, but I'll do it for half." I took Cummy's arm and sat him down at our table. A few minutes passed then Gordie came to sit and I could tell after a few minutes He really did care for Cummy. I was introduced and slobbered all over myself that I was actually sitting with one of my sports heroes. Cummy started in to tell a story, and Gordie said "now Cummy that's one of those times we want to keep to ourselves." Gordie bought a round and left after receiving a few more pats on the back and arm around the shoulder. I have never once heard Cummy refer to Howe by either his first or last name. Just, "The Big Guy." And if you didn't know who he was referring to, you either didn't know hockey, or you didn't know Cummy.

Comment

• Can you believe the next three games...Montreal, Toronto and Tampa...Add the game we just played with Columbus and this is better than playoff hockey. The challenge is to have the best record in the last ten games....The way I look at it...Of the teams competing for the final playoffs this I their Stanley Cup.

Comment

• I give credit to Holland for keeping the youngsters down in Grand Rapids until they are more than ready. When the Wings promote a player, I know that they will know the Red Wings style and be able to play both ends of the ice.

Comment

• Is it me or did Kronwall look like the worst player on the ice last night.
                  He was directly responsible for one goal, and could be argued for actually two of them. Not to mention he was bailed out by Howard on a couple more giveaways....

He was atrocious. Howard was pretty bad as well, but I blame the defense more than I do him. Some of those goals were the result of bad defense and not so much Howards play. The more I watch this team the more I get excited for the future with these young guys playing. They look awesome, and this team will be a scoring powerhouse once they are healthy next year with Zetterberg, Dats, and Weiss. The defense though needs some serious help and unfortunately there won't be much in free agency next year. All of the decent defenseman that will be free agents are at the end of their careers too.... i.e Danny Boyle. You know it's a weak class when Quincey is one of the best Defenseman in free agency. So I would think a trade is necessary to improve.

But for whom at what cost. I think Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist should all be untouchable. That doesn't leave a whole lot in bargaining outside of the likes of Abdelkader, Miller, Helm, Glendening, Pulkkinen, Mantha, picks... I wouldn't give up Mantha unless it was for a superstar either.... like Weber.

Mantha has played in 57 games this year and has 57 goals and 63 assists for 120 points. That's some serious numbers. It'll be exciting to see how he does in the AHL next year. But he's a big dude with a game that people compare to Getzlaf. That wouldn't be to shabby! No way we give up this guy unless it's for someone like Weber.
                  Last edited by Habib21; March 28, 2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Habib21 View Post
                    Is it me or did Kronwall look like the worst player on the ice last night.
                    He was directly responsible for one goal, and could be argued for actually two of them. Not to mention he was bailed out by Howard on a couple more giveaways....

He was atrocious. Howard was pretty bad as well, but I blame the defense more than I do him. Some of those goals were the result of bad defense and not so much Howards play. The more I watch this team the more I get excited for the future with these young guys playing. They look awesome, and this team will be a scoring powerhouse once they are healthy next year with Zetterberg, Dats, and Weiss. The defense though needs some serious help and unfortunately there won't be much in free agency next year. All of the decent defenseman that will be free agents are at the end of their careers too.... i.e Danny Boyle. You know it's a weak class when Quincey is one of the best Defenseman in free agency. So I would think a trade is necessary to improve.

But for whom at what cost. I think Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist should all be untouchable. That doesn't leave a whole lot in bargaining outside of the likes of Abdelkader, Miller, Helm, Glendening, Pulkkinen, Mantha, picks... I wouldn't give up Mantha unless it was for a superstar either.... like Weber.

Mantha has played in 57 games this year and has 57 goals and 63 assists for 120 points. That's some serious numbers. It'll be exciting to see how he does in the AHL next year. But he's a big dude with a game that people compare to Getzlaf. That wouldn't be to shabby! No way we give up this guy unless it's for someone like Weber.
                    It was not you.

I did not see the game but, asked my brother if he did.

His first response was Ya, Kronwell played like shit!
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Nyquist's great goal
                      [ame]http://youtu.be/4f8__aC9R_Q[/ame]

Comment

• AWESOME!
                        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Bah. Cleary was obviously a better option.

Can't wait for him to return so we can send Nyquist back to GR. /sage nod

"It's a man's league" - Ken Holland.

Comment

• I can't wait to go back and see who was pimping the Cleary signing at the beginning of the year.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                              I can't wait to go back and see who was pimping the Cleary signing at the beginning of the year.
                              Ken Holland for one.

Comment

• Babcok is the one who was responsible for sending Nyquist back to GR earlier in the year. Don't let him off the hook.

Comment

Working...
                                X