Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fontes91 View Post
    If you haven't seen it and have Netflix, watch 30 for 30: of Miracles and Men

It's about the Soviet Red Army hockey team that includes a large piece about the '80 Olympics, but all of it is from the Russian point of view. Lots of great interviews. Very interesting stuff about players that wanted to play in the NHL but were not allowed, including Tretiak.

From the onset of the documentary there are interviews with Fetisov and it ends with him holding the '97 cup in Moscow. For any hockey fan, imho, a must see.
    Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
    I like the comment from the figure skating coach - which went something like this.
    "It's not my place to comment on a coach in another profession........ but yeah, they screwed up pulling Tretiak!!!!"
    Take this communist talk to the political thread.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Yes comrade
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• I'm as American as the greatest of champions, Kyle Rote Jr.

So take it back, damn you. Take it back.

Kyle freakin' Rote Jr, man. You messed with the Rote!

Comment

• Tretiak was sounding a little uncle Rico. "If coach would have put me in the fourth quarter, we would have made state. No doubt in my mind."

Also, if there is something as adorable as a young Larionov, i would like to see it. Who's the cutest professor, you are, yes you are!
          Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• I don't know if Bim frequents this thread or not but, this proves there is relevancy to fighting in hockey.
            Attached Files
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Nice right cross

Comment

• I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Fetisov is making the rounds right now, was on the Daily Show the other night.

Comment

• Hey, Marko... wanna tell me again that people in the NHL aren't paid to be irritants and troublemakers?

Because the players themselves would argue otherwise.

More winter Friday nights than not through my first few years of high school, I was in my usual seat at the local arena, three or four rows up behind the home team's bench. On the ice, the Ontario Hockey League's Ottawa 67's, a group of—boys, really, aged 16 to 20. A handful of them would go on to be drafted by NHL…

Fighting deters jack shit.

Comment

• Let it go. He has his opinion and you have yours and they will never, ever change.

Comment

• Fight fight fight!
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Zidlicky has been really damned good in our offense. I really wasn't expecting much more than some depth on defense but he's been awesome. Only giving up a third rounder is a bargain compared to what most teams mortgaged.

Nice trade Holland
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• After the stinker against Philly they lay a beat down on the penguins...Who can figure this team out?

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                              Hey, Marko... wanna tell me again that people in the NHL aren't paid to be irritants and troublemakers?

Because the players themselves would argue otherwise.

More winter Friday nights than not through my first few years of high school, I was in my usual seat at the local arena, three or four rows up behind the home team's bench. On the ice, the Ontario Hockey League's Ottawa 67's, a group of—boys, really, aged 16 to 20. A handful of them would go on to be drafted by NHL…

Fighting deters jack shit.
                              I don't think I ever said that there were not players in the NHL that were paid to be gritty.

We disagree on whether or not the players should police themselves when it comes to dirty hits.
                              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Though I never watched the Broad Street Bullies live, (I was too young). I can't imagine anybody stupid enough taking a cheap shot at Bobby Clarke - 90% of the team (or himself ?) would be in line too kick his ass. I do remember remotely the Bruins and Islanders having very tough teams and tough guys in the late 70s (nobody messed with Clark Gillies, Terry O'Reilly, Wayne Cashman).

I would have to say around the mid-eighties things started to change with players started wearing helmets and maybe every team have three or four good players who could also be enforcers. Then by the end of the nineties it was what ? maybe one or two enforcers on a team. And then the euros were already comming in to the NHL (who don't fight).

In hindsight, I do agree with chemic, (in only the last last 20 years) you can take a cheap shot and you don't really have to pay any repercussions.It's like boxing to me, I used to love it at one time - now I don't even have a thought about it. With visors becoming mandatory, Gary Bettman will have a job well done. Well almost.....Just add more teams!! A lot more!

Comment

Working...
                                X