No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, I just posted down there in the 'Mighty Michigan ' Fourm how great Hudler is playing. Cal*Gary put away Vancouver last night after being down 3 goals.

Though that is not a surprise, I always liked his play - unlike Filppula who isnt doing shit for Tampa, but blowing good scoring chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
      BEER!!!
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Ex duck HILLER vs ANA

show time

I only bought game 7 tix for this round. Here's to round 2 NOT going 7.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

WTF man. I just looked at the FA pool for next season. It's horrible!

Mike Green is it. How the F did we let guys like Hudler and Flippula walk and we sign guys like Weiss and.. well Weiss
          Because at the time Hudler and Flippula played positions that Babcock and Holland already had pet veterans playing. And heaven forbid those poor veterans get bumped by younger guys who were playing better.

"It's a man's league." -Ken Holland

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post

I do think the league has to do something about the guys getting run at the end of the games when it's obvious one team doesn't have a chance. You're going to lose some good players to injury unnecessarily.
            Pretty simple way to solve it (at least if you're willing to be draconian about it and there was no such thing as a Player's Association, I suppose).

Take for example, how the last Montreal/Ottawa game ended. Now picture the Senators being able to say, "Okay... Carey Price, YOU get to serve the suspension. Have a seat."

Or... "Okay, Mr. Crosby. Thanks to your goon teammate boarding an opponent late in a 4-1 loss, the Rangers have decided YOU get to sit the next four games. Have fun!"

Cheap shots would end overnight.

Comment

• While it would work that's just retarded.

I say we get a goon
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

While it would work that's just retarded.

I say we get a goon
                It's a solution to the problem. Getting a "goon" is even dumber. It wastes a roster spot and simply puts targets on Wings players backs in an ever increasing exchange of retaliation.

As "fun" as we all like to pretend those Avs/Wings brawls were back in the day, those were the culmination of several years of bad blood and cheap shots back and forth where a LOT of players could have been badly hurt.

Steve Moore's career was ended early because of the "goon" mentality. Donald Brashear's career was almost ended in a similar fashion. The NHL couldn't let that continue. The endgame for THAT particular mentality was GOING to end with the headline of:

"[Insert player name here] Pronounced Dead on Arrival After Gruesome On-Ice Attack."

Ironically, putting the clamps on fighting has managed to quell a lot of the bloodlust. But now the problem, as many have noticed, is that teams are starting to take their shots at the end of games when it becomes like Who's Line Is It Anyway On Ice?... where the penalty minutes don't count and the points don't matter.

A less draconian measure (which I'm personally much more in favor of), would be for "major" penalties and "game misconduct" penalties to carry over to the next game that team plays.

For example, take Prust's little spear attempt from the end of his last game that started a minor brawl. The game misconduct he got would carry over for roughly 8 minutes of the next game, shortening the Montreal bench for that period. He'd be allowed to play in that game once the penalty expired. If he was deactivated, then the player replacing him on the roster would serve the remainder of that time.
                Last edited by chemiclord; April 26, 2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  Because at the time Hudler and Flippula played positions that Babcock and Holland already had pet veterans playing. And heaven forbid those poor veterans get bumped by younger guys who were playing better.

"It's a man's league." -Ken Holland
                  Or instead you could actually look at what really happened. Hudler got 4 million a year deal the summer we were chasing a replacement for Lids and Stuart. I think that the two D we were going after took to long to sign and we missed keeping Hudler.

Filppula on the other hand signed a 5 million a year deal for 5 years that we pretty much paid Weiss. Now you could say their limited activity away from the top two lines stunted their growth. But neither one had demonstrated that they were worth the money in the end. Fillpula especially had every opportunity, playing in the top lines two years before leaving.

Maybe they are playing better because they feel they need to be more involved now. That more is on their shoulders. That was never going to happen with the wings. Not with Dats, Z, and the mule(noting his injury problem began around then). Brunner is a perfect example of Holland and Babs giving younger more raw players a chance to succeed and to play more. They just ask that the players push for their spots. Those two didn't.
                  AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

While it would work that's just retarded.

I say we get a goon
                    It is a retarded solution and it would not work.

I agree. Get a goon!:D

Edit: That can score.
                    Last edited by Malto Marko; April 26, 2015, 10:19 AM.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• GREAT game yesterday. I was wrong. The Wings did not cave they played a great game. Take this next one and let's move on boys.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Anybody who watched the 2009 Finals should not be pining for Jiri Hudler. His awful defensive gaffes killed them.

Comment

• I always thought penalties should carry over to the next game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                            I always thought penalties should carry over to the next game.
                            Well, for minor and double minor infractions, that would kinda be a little silly. For major penalties, I could see an argument both for and against.

But at the very least, if you get a game misconduct, that 10 minutes of sit-down time shouldn't be negated because you decided to take a run at someone with 10 seconds left in the third period of a blowout. While it's true that if you get a game misconduct that you're also likely looking at a suspension, that's not always the case.

Making the team bear the brunt of the bullshit in the next game would likely make quite a few coaches reconsider running out their goons near the end of games to "send a message."

Comment

• Officials are well aware of the clock and if someone gets run resulting in a game misconduct very late in the game as you described, you can bet the official will also assess another game to send their message.
                              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                                Officials are well aware of the clock and if someone gets run resulting in a game misconduct very late in the game as you described, you can bet the official will also assess another game to send their message.
                                Are you sure about that? I don't think the officials on-ice have that power. The LEAGUE can suspend someone after games, but that doesn't really impact the team on the ice (assuming coaches anticipate the possibility when they send their goons out, just deactivate the suspended guy, call up someone else, continue as normal). I don't think they have the ability to just tack on another penalty in the next game (or if they have, I've never seen it).

My thinking is that coaches who apply goons might give it a little pause if they fear that doing so would mean they'd have to run with a shortened bench for roughly half a period the next game.
                                Last edited by chemiclord; April 27, 2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X