Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    It's just amazing that Weiss, Ericsson and Howard take up almost a 1/4 of our cap space and they're all pretty unmoveable.

Weiss makes almost 5 mil until 2018
    Ericsson 4.2 until 2020 (Kronwall 4.7)
    Howard 5.2 until 2019
    I'm actually willing to see what Weiss can do under Blashill. I have a feeling that Babs wasn't a fan of Weiss and he got some poor treatment because of it. He did go on a a tear for awhile last year before becoming a ghost and then being benched by Babs. I think he still has some hockey in him, and now being further removed from his injuries, I think he can be productive. Only time will tell. New coach means everyone starts fresh.... I think he will prove himself. If not, then we can buy him out next year and have a shorter amount of time and less cap hit too. Win Win.

If Mrazek continues to play as well as he can, without the horrible swings from one night to the next..... Howard will be traded next summer and we'll sign a lower cost backup goalie. But Howard is good to hold onto for now.

Comment

• Agreed on pretty much all of that. I do want to see how Weiss reacts to Blashill but I still think he's garbage. The only upside that i can see is Babs was using him as a winger instead of center last season.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
        Congrats to Sergei and Lids on their election to the hockey hall of fame!
        Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        Well deserved for both, now raise #91.
        Agreed.

......and even though I was pissed as swarm of bees being disturbed from their hive when Federov walked, I think it will be time to retire his number and put it in the rafters with the rest of the Red Wing greats.

.....with that said, I was happy to see the profile of the guy they drafted. We need to get bigger.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Even of they don't retire #91 it is highly unlikely we ever see that number again.

Weiss is an interesting subject. By most accounts that I've read Babcock was the guy who liked Weiss and campaigned for him. But with injuries it never happened with him and when he was healthy he was a scratch. When they sent him down to GR, Blashill apparently worked some magic with him. Hopefully he can salvage something.

Comment

• Hmmmmmmm.

Brad Galli ‏@BradGalli [ame="https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/615984195479977984"]6m6 minutes ago[/ame] So now the Red Wings are about to buy out Stephen Weiss? Here's the latest: updates including @HeleneStJames' report. http://www.wxyz.com/sports/hockey/red-wings/red-wings-apparently-decide-against-buying-out-stephen-weiss-contract …

Edit: Done deal. He has been bought out.

Last edited by Malto Marko; June 30, 2015, 04:19 PM.
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Looks like the Wings are interested in making some moves. Mlive is saying we're pursuing Mike Green. I am a little surprised we did it this year vice next year.

If the freed up money lands us Green or Franson then so be it but that dead money 4 years from now is going to hurt. Weiss' contact was just nasty.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Is Weiss the Josh Smith of the Red Wings?

Comment

• Wings also resigned Brendan Smith 2 yrs 5.5 mil (total). That's pretty cheap considering he's a damned good skater who was playing a vastly different role under Babcock then what his skills equate to.

He's the person Blashill can impact IMO
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                    Is Weiss the Josh Smith of the Red Wings?
                    Winner winner chicken dinner.. Couldn't have said it better
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• It's kind of funny hearing Chicago wanting the world for Sharp in a trade and now it f'ed them since they had to trade Brandon Saad because top their cap situation. Saad is a restricted FA and he's not going to want to rot in Columbus.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Well eating for 4 years sucks. But it could be worse, its about 1.6 million a year. That's a good player in terms of money, but nothing so huge that it will cause the wings issues.

The Wings are at an advantage here. Their high paid stars are not getting a new contract realistically and if they do it will be at nearly the same rate as now. If they continue with Howard is contract is good for several more years. None of the new guys has stepped up to be more than a 2-3 million a year players so they should be affordable at the end of this year and next when we need to.

Outside going strong in FA there isn't big contract that we need to worry about so our salary should be pretty flat and dropping to a point as Z, Dats, and the Mule head out. Even more if we trade Howard and use Peter as our starting G (though typically the Wings have enjoyed a good 1-2 at goalie, though Howard is being paid premiere goalie money).
                        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• The Weiss buyout and Dats being out until November makes it a stronger case for Dylan Larkin to be in the bigs to start the year
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                            The Weiss buyout and Dats being out until November makes it a stronger case for Dylan Larkin to be in the bigs to start the year
                            Have to agree. I don't think they would have bought out Weiss if they didn't think Larkin could move up. Funny how we just got done talking about how Blashill could probably turn him around..... and sure as shit they buy him out. Next time we need to talk about how much we love Andersson and maybe they'll let him go....... I LOVE CLEARY......

Comment

• I think Ericsson is so awesome!!!
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Mike Green for 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X