Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
    It is true that Howe did not like the Harkness family and he had some disparaging remarks after he retired then resurrected his career.
    And that, at the end of the day, is what this is about.

Because at some point, clearly, the Wings ownership got over themselves and properly acknowledged a significant player during one of their championship eras. Despite the bad blood, they built a bridge and got over it.

Thirteen YEARS later, and Illitch simply cannot bring himself to do the same. Did Fedorov kill Mike's dog out of spite the night before he left or something? Because there's absolutely nothing in what I have been told that would suggest being worthy of holding that long of a grudge.

Comment

• Feds has only been out of the league a few years. It's not like we've waited 13 years to hang the number up there. Shanny's number isn't in the rafters either and he's equally deserving.

Like I said, Fedorov is one of my all time favorite players but if the Wings organization wants to wait before it gets raised then we wait.. That number most certainly will never be worn again in Detroit so it's not going anywhere.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• What are your guys thoughts on Osgood? I've always been on the side that he was just lucky to have been on the Wings teams soaking up wins but that last cup run had his stamp all over it.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
          What are your guys thoughts on Osgood? I've always been on the side that he was just lucky to have been on the Wings teams soaking up wins but that last cup run had his stamp all over it.
          Good goaltender with moments of derp. I'd shy away from the league Hall of Fame but no reason that he shouldn't be in the Red Wings HoF.

As for retiring his number? Ehhhhh. I wouldn't throw a protest if it was, but I don't think it's a crime if it isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            And that, at the end of the day, is what this is about.

Because at some point, clearly, the Wings ownership got over themselves and properly acknowledged a significant player during one of their championship eras. Despite the bad blood, they built a bridge and got over it.

Thirteen YEARS later, and Illitch simply cannot bring himself to do the same. Did Fedorov kill Mike's dog out of spite the night before he left or something? Because there's absolutely nothing in what I have been told that would suggest being worthy of holding that long of a grudge.
            Well, Howe's number was retired in 1972 the year after he retired. He joined the Aeros in 1974. At the time it was unheard of for a retired player to reactivate. I am wondering if it would have taken longer to retire Howe's number if he would have gone to the WHA right away?
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
              Good goaltender with moments of derp. I'd shy away from the league Hall of Fame but no reason that he shouldn't be in the Red Wings HoF.

As for retiring his number? Ehhhhh. I wouldn't throw a protest if it was, but I don't think it's a crime if it isn't.
              Yeah its a tough call.. He did win us the one cup saving our asses in the playoffs in 07-08. He and Dallas Drake were amazing that postseason.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• The thing about Osgood is one that tends to affect a ton of "borderline" Hall of Fame players.

If you go solely by the numbers, Osgood SHOULD be in. But he never really passes the dreaded "eye test", nor is he helped by the narrative that he was more carried by the Red Wings talent level more than the other way around (that 2008 playoffs outstanding).

For me, if I was a Hall of Fame voter, I'd say "no." But that's more because I'd have VERY high standards for induction. To me, the Hall of Fame should represent those who were above and beyond the rest of their era. To me, that says there are only three Hall of Fame goaltenders from this most recently past era; Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur... which is apparently an absurdly low number for those voting to the HoF.

Comment

• Dats in the lineup tonight.

Comment

• Yeah chemi I'm with you on HoF voting. Osgood won us that last cup but he was never a goalie that was in the running for a Vezina or something else to show he was one of the games elite
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I'm with Chemi as well. I think too many players get in. I don't think Ozzie deserves to be in. Love the guy but don't think he's HOF status.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I am against Chemi just on general principal that we disagree more than we agree.;)

I say he should be in and has the numbers and the rings to prove it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                          Love the guy but don't think he's HOF status.
                          I never got over the Wings losing to the Sharks way way back in 94 (I think) and Osgood was crying in the locker room because he gave up a soft goal to give it away. Never really liked him at all

although he did make up for it in 08 when he carried us.. but I still didn't like him
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• although I liked him over Manny Legace. WTF were we thinking?
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Losing to the Sharks Killed me. We were so good that year and the Sharks were the Sharks. I was up north turkey hunting with friends at their cabin in Atlanta MI. We went to a local bar and watched the game. So disappointed and pissed.
                              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Yup.. that was a good team. Not sure which lose was worse that year against the Sharks or the following where we just got manhandled by the Devils. That was one of the worst Finals i've ever seen
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X