Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
    Officiating will be huge. They gave the Stars many questionable calls last night to get them back in the game, and they let Morrow cream Lidstrom long after he'd gotten rid of the puck.
    Ya, what was up with that? Mac gets two penalties for interference in the first two periods then in the third they put the whistles away? That was entirely a bullshit non call.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
      We need Franzen back for this series.
      He's doubtful for game 1. :-x

Did anyone else hear that Draper lost 3 teeth on that goal?
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

That is just like your picture. Amazing.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

The Hockey News picks the Penguins in six!

DETROIT RED WINGS vs. PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
          NUTS AND BOLTS
          Detroit - Home | Stats | Roster | Schedule | Transactions | Injuries
          Pittsburgh - Home | Stats | Roster | Schedule | Transactions | Injuries
          Regular Season Record:
          Detroit - 54-21-7, 115 pts
          Pittsburgh – 47-27-8, 102 pts
          Playoff Scoring Leaders:
          Detroit - Henrik Zetterberg, 21 (11G, 10A); Pavel Datsyuk, 19 (9G, 10A); Johan Franzen, 15 (12G, 3A); Jiri Hudler, 13 (4G, 9A); Niklas Kronwall, 12 (0G, 12A).
          Pittsburgh - Sidney Crosby, 21 (4G, 17A); Marian Hossa, 19 (9G, 10A); Evgeni Malkin, 19 (9G, 10A); Ryan Malone, 15 (6G, 9A); Sergei Gonchar, 11 (1G, 10A).
          2008 Playoff MVP
          Detroit – Henrik Zetterberg. Aside from the fact he leads the Red Wings in scoring with 21 points in 16 games, Zetterberg is as proficient a defensive contributor as he is on offense.
          Pittsburgh – Sidney Crosby. Sure, he’d probably like to have more than four goals in 14 games, but his skill and vision are key factors in elevating the play of those around him.

Why They’re Here
          Detroit – Depth remains the Red Wings calling card. Imagine a team losing its top scorer (Johan Franzen, 12 goals) through the first two rounds and barely skipping a beat. It also helps to have experience and the Red Wings have plenty of that to go around, too.
          Pittsburgh – Not enough credit is given to coach Michel Therrien, who has instilled in his offense-oriented team the value of two-way hockey. The Penguins don’t have the same marquee value on its blueline as Detroit, but the Penguins team defense is solid.

Special Teams
          The Penguins rank second on the power play after three rounds with a 24.6 percent success rate, while the Red Wings are fifth at 21 percent. Both teams have an 87.3 percent penalty-killing efficiency rate, but the Red Wings have five shorthanded goals compared to one for the Penguins. Edge: Pittsburgh

Forwards
          At first blush, one is tempted to suggest no team in the NHL has as potent a 1-2 punch as Crosby and Malkin, but the reality is, through the playoffs, Zetterberg and Datsyuk have been every bit as lethal; and they have more experience. Hossa has proven himself to be a valuable trade deadline addition, but Franzen can counter Hossa’s effectiveness if he is able to return to health. Although 19-year-old Jordan Staal of the Pens is a horse, Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby have the edge in checking experience. Edge: Even

Defense
          There is no question the Red Wings have a deeper and more experienced blueline beginning with soon-to-be-named Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom. Brian Rafalski is a two-time Stanley Cup winner with New Jersey and a solid two-way performer, while Niklas Kronwall, finally healthy at this time of year, is another two-way threat who likes to hit. Brad Stuart has re-emerged as a dependable D-man with the Wings. On the other side, Sergei Gonchar is unquestionably Pittsburgh’s best defender and certainly worthy of praise. After that, defense is done by committee. Edge: Detroit

Goaltending
          When Dominik Hasek went down, the Red Wings were very fortunate to have a backup goalie many teams would love to have as their No. 1 – Chris Osgood. Given the fact he has two Stanley Cup rings already and was the starter when Detroit won its second straight Cup in 1998, Osgood has lots of experience, so there are no surprises for him. Marc-Andre Fleury, meanwhile, is new to all of this. He was 1-4 coming into this year’s playoffs, but has been nothing short of sensational through the first three rounds. Edge: Detroit

Coaching
          Once again, if experience counts, the Wings are standing tall with Mike Babcock who guided the Mighty Ducks to the final in 2002-03. Babcock’s teams are fast, play a solid puck possession game and are very disciplined. It would have been easy for Michel Therrien to assess his talent and go with a strictly run-and-gun style, but he understands the value of defense and has managed to get that message through to his players. Edge: Detroit

X-Factor
          Based on previous playoff experiences, we pretty much know what to expect from the Red Wings’ stars. But what about the Penguins’ top guns? This is, after all, just the second year of post-season action for Crosby, Malkin and Staal. Have we seen their best yet? If I was the Red Wings, I’d be concerned Crosby only has four goals to this point. He could be on the verge of exploding. Edge: Pittsburgh

Prediction
          This has the potential to be one of the best Stanley Cup finals in years. Or, if Detroit’s experience is the deciding factor, it could be over in four games. Given the fact the Penguins have not lost at home in this year’s playoffs, we don’t see that happening. And when you have the best player in the world on your team – Crosby - that can also be a deciding factor. Pittsburgh in six.

Comment

lol
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

OMG!! Somebody please kill Gary Bettman!
              The NHL and cable TV partner Versus are talking about introducing "puck-tracking" technology as early as the 2008-09 season, executives from the network and the league told USA TODAY.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2008-05-11-McCarthy_N.htm
              I am the lizard king - I can do anything

Comment

X-Factor
                Based on previous playoff experiences, we pretty much know what to expect from the Red Wings’ stars. But what about the Penguins’ top guns? This is, after all, just the second year of post-season action for Crosby, Malkin and Staal. Have we seen their best yet? If I was the Red Wings, I’d be concerned Crosby only has four goals to this point. He could be on the verge of exploding. Edge: Pittsburgh
                We know what to expect out of the Wings' stars, but since we don't know if we've seen their stars' best, the edge goes to Pitt? Crosby has only four goals, therefore he's gonna go off on the Wings? Ohhhkie Dokie
                ------------
                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

Oh my.

There is credibility given to Pittsburgs ability to win at home but, no credibility for the Wings ability to hold home ice or win on the road?

Speculation is OK. They can pick whomever they want.

We shall see who hoists the cup.

They may however, have inside information as to how the league has decided the officials should show favors.
                  I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by L-kxng View Post
                    OMG!! Somebody please kill Gary Bettman!
                    The NHL and cable TV partner Versus are talking about introducing "puck-tracking" technology as early as the 2008-09 season, executives from the network and the league told USA TODAY.
                    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2008-05-11-McCarthy_N.htm
                    Oh, yuck. Next they'll have a little FOX ice-skating robot in the corner of the screen.
                    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Wings are taking this thing in six.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I was a newbie to watching hockey on TV back when fox was doing the puck track and was one who liked it. I can, however, now understand why the hockey purist hates it.

HD broadcasts make puck tracking technology obsolete IMO.
                        ------------
                        <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Franzen cleared to practice, could return soon

May 22, 2002

Helene St. James' Red Wings Blog

I just found out Johan Franzen has been cleared to practice and will do so tomorrow, indicating he'll play Saturday when the Red Wings host the Penguins in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals.

Franzen hasn't played since Game 1 against Dallas because of headaches, but he has been headache free now for a handful of days. He skated today after regular practice was over.
                          “Based upon the news we got today, we are hopeful to see him sometime during the series, but he’s doubtful for Game 1," general manager Ken Holland told me.

Franzen skated with the black aces today, and afterwards Mike Babcock sounded very hopeful Franzen would soon be in the lineup again.

"He's ready," Babcock said. "He's tipping pucks to the back of the net, he's flying around at a hundred miles an hour. He's ready to go, we've just got to get the OK."

Comment

• Have fun!

My high was 277.1. You want to catch it high but not too high, or it'll soar in an arc and won't skid.
                            I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• If the Freep had any guts, they would have run the "Bloody Pingu" version of this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
                                Have fun!

My high was 277.1. You want to catch it high but not too high, or it'll soar in an arc and won't skid.
                                nah I like the high arc better he lands with his head buried ;)
                                I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008

Comment

Working...
                                X