X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's ba-ack.
    Lemieux back in NHL after long absence

Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Nearly six years after Claude Lemieux retired, he's back to pester the NHL again.
    The San Jose Sharks recalled the 43-year-old forward from their AHL affiliate on Monday, adding a four-time Stanley Cup winner to a team already tied for the overall league lead.
    Lemieux probably will be in San Jose's lineup Tuesday night against Vancouver. He spent the past eight weeks riding the bus and playing against the next generation in Worcester, Mass., making sure his physical skills still matched his desire to complete a comeback that's been on his mind since shortly after he retired in 2003.

"The more I was told this was impossible, the more I wanted it," Lemieux said after his first practice with the Sharks. "I still feel that way. This is just the first step to life back in the NHL. ... I got into this with my eyes wide open, knowing that most folks out there would think that I'm out of my mind to attempt to do something like this."
    Lemieux once was hockey's archetypal agitating forward, beloved by his teammates and despised by everybody else during parts of 20 seasons with five NHL clubs. He also was among the best playoff performers of his generation, with 80 postseason goals that are still ninth-most in league history.
    Lemieux, who will wear No. 32 in teal, won titles with Montreal (1986), New Jersey (1995, 2000) and Colorado (1996), earning the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP for the Devils in 1995.
    Sharks coach Todd McLellan, who's over two years younger than Lemieux, is expected to have Lemieux in uniform against the Canucks in San Jose's final game before the All-Star break -- nearly 24 years after his NHL debut in 1985.

"The excitement is probably about the same," Lemieux said, recalling that first game with the Canadiens. "The only difference is I know what to expect, and back then I didn't know what to expect. I've done this before, and it's going to help me through the process. I worked very hard to get to where I'm at today. It's what I wanted, a chance to live this dream again, and it's great to be here."
    Lemieux's career petered out after 32 games and seven playoff appearances with the Dallas Stars in 2003. He lived in Phoenix after his retirement, dabbling in real estate investment, appearing on a reality show and briefly serving as president of the ECHL's Phoenix Roadrunners.
    But a comeback already was on his mind when he played briefly in Switzerland in 2004 before the league's lockout season. After nearly starting a return in 2007, he got his wife's approval to try it last fall.
    "With the lockout, I thought I'd missed my opportunity, but I missed being out there," Lemieux said. "I missed the camaraderie and the chance to do something you love. To know that you've got to get up in the morning and be some place, and you've got a job to do ... it's just the best life. I'm very thankful that I can do this again."
    Sharks general manager Doug Wilson is no stranger to reclamation projects after adding Jeremy Roenick and Sandis Ozolinsh to his club last season. He also provided a chance to Lemieux, who joined the Worcester Sharks in late November and signed a two-way contract in late December.
    With Wilson monitoring every shift on television, Lemieux had three goals and eight assists in 23 games with Worcester, racking up 24 penalty minutes and a plus-2 rating.
    "Historically, people that can come back and help you later in their careers usually have similar attributes," Wilson said. "A love for the game, a high level of intelligence, and ... being genetically gifted. He's gifted, and he's gone and put the work and time and energy in. He's not been given anything by us. If anything, we've given him a couple of [reasons] to say it's not been worth it."
    Lemieux won't be the oldest player in the NHL, not with Detroit defenseman Chris Chelios turning 47 later this month. But his comeback is even more remarkable because of his lengthy absence from the game.
    Montreal coach Guy Carbonneau played with Lemieux during parts of six seasons with the Canadiens in the 1980s.
    "I'm very surprised, even shocked," Carbonneau said after the Canadiens' practice Monday. "Chris Chelios is 46 years old, but the fact that Claude stopped playing three or four years ago, it shows the kind of character he has. I'm happy for him. When I first heard about it, I didn't think it would be possible, but it just goes to show that nothing is impossible."
    Although the Sharks led the overall NHL standings with 71 points entering Monday's games, their fourth line hasn't been impressive or productive since Roenick was sidelined last month with a shoulder injury. If Lemieux sticks and Roenick returns soon, the Sharks could match Roenick and Lemieux with enforcer Jody Shelley on a line that would be among the NHL's most entertaining, if no longer its most talented.
    Lemieux replaces young forwards Brad Staubitz and Tom Cavanagh, who were sent back to Worcester so they can play through the All-Star break.
    "Claude deserved it, he earned it, and I really can't stress it enough that the guys down in Worcester are happy for him," Wilson said. "They know he put in the work. He's happy to be here, it's that simple."
    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• DMac needs to be in uniform the next time we play those SOB's.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• and I can't believe Chelly is about to turn 47!!!!
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Nick an Pavel pulll out of All-Star game. No Wings in the game.

Comment

• Good.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Wonder if they'll name one or two Wings to replace them? Otherwise, nobody from the Detroit market will watch.

Comment

• The All-Star game is garbage anyway. I didn't watch when they basically played the Wings starting lineup.

Comment

• Babs will be there to represent!!!
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• I didn't know Barbara Streisand could skate.
                    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Rock i could stare at that picture all day long.....
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Already named replacements, and they are not Wings.

Comment

• thats a great looking John Deere'
                          If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• From the Freep:

An NHL spokesman told the Free Press the league did attempt to get another Wing, though he didn't know whom, but the most logical choices are defenseman Brian Rafalski and forward Marian Hossa.
                            It is neither unusual for players to pull out of All-Star Games because of injuries, nor for players to decline last-minute invitations to be a replacement as many make other plans well in advance. San Jose forward Patrick Marleau and Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas were added to the Western Conference roster in place of Lidstrom and Datsyuk.

Comment

• Sid the Kid is out, too. I've come to the conclusion the NFL is the answer to the question, "What if an entire sports league was run like the Lions?"

Comment

• Now Pavel and Nick are suspended for a game beacuse they did not play in a stupid exhibition.

Comment

Working...
                                X