No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By that logic the Wings should also retire the numbers of Chelios, Osgood, Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Larionov, Holmstrom, Shanahan, and maybe 50 other former Red Wings

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      Thats a shame because without him they might not win any of the three cups, he carried that 2002 team. You put petty squabbles behind if you're a class organization. Fedorov's number should be retired period.
      Wrong. A one legged Yzerman carried the 2002 team and the 1998 team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johann View Post
        By that logic the Wings should also retire the numbers of Chelios, Osgood, Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Larionov, Holmstrom, Shanahan, and maybe 50 other former Red Wings
        No, because Fedorov was better than all of them on the team. Its not really close.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptainBlue View Post
          Wrong. A one legged Yzerman carried the 2002 team and the 1998 team.
          Absolutely false, in 2002 Yzerman had be Federov's wingman because he couldn't do all that much. Yzerman credited Federov with carrying Steve during the playoffs. Go back to the drawing board with your argument. Put 91 up in the rafters.

Comment

Absolutely false, in 2002 Yzerman had be Federov's wingman because he couldn't do all that much. Yzerman credited Federov with carrying Steve during the playoffs. Go back to the drawing board with your argument. Put 91 up in the rafters.
            WTF is Yzerman suppose to say? Without Yzerman we don't make it out of round 1.

Comment

No, because Fedorov was better than all of them on the team. Its not really close.
              if he was a better player than the rest is irrelevant, your argument was that with out Fedorov they might not win the cup (which I do agree with) but the same could be said for the other players mentioned as well. One of the downsides in playing for a true dynasty team is that simply winning championships is really not enough to justify retiring a number.

Comment

Without Yzerman we don't make it out of round 1.
                This.

Comment

• Please, what say is correct, you guys are arguing just to argue.

Comment

WTF is Yzerman suppose to say? Without Yzerman we don't make it out of round 1.
                    Yzerman doesn't have to say anything, but he did. He wasn't lying, Fedorov carried Yzerman and that team

Comment

• Originally posted by Johann View Post
                      I love that the Wings have such high standards for whose number they retire (unlike the Pistons for example)

What?

Dumars,Thomas,Rodman,Johnson,Laimbeer,Lainer & Bing....
                      (Daly,McCloskey & Davidson)

I have no problems with any of those choices.
                      "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• I personally would not have Johnson on there, and I'm on the fence with Rodman.

Comment

• Rodman left the Pistons and went to the Bulls, in my opinion leaving to play for a division rival excludes a player from having their number retired

Comment

Thats a shame because without him they might not win any of the three cups, he carried that 2002 team. You put petty squabbles behind if you're a class organization. Fedorov's number should be retired period.
                            Nope.

He had a FA contract with Carolina Hurricanes that dictated that if they reach the Stanley Cup Finals, he gets most of his salary in cash.

Wings matched that contract to retain him.

They went to the Finals and won.

Federov complained that his salary was too low (because he already banked most of it) and decided he was not going to contribute any more.

When that contract expired, he was given a very generous offer and accepted less to go to another team.

This pissed off the Illtiches and I do not blame them because their offer was not only fair, but a league leading contract.

His number should be forgotten because he is really the best talent that ever came to the NHL but, did not realize how much of an impact he could have had on the league or game.
                            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• To hear Federov tell it, the Illitches lowballed HIM first, and told him if he could find a better deal, he was welcome to do so.

And he did.

By the second time the contract came around, he was done doing their work for them, and left.

I don't blame him if that's true.

Comment

• Well, I would suggest it was his Agents responsibility to find a better deal, not the Players.

Fact is,his salary after he left was less than he would have made than with the contract extended to him by the Wings.

A big mistake by the Player and the Agent.
                                Last edited by Malto Marko; January 8, 2013, 05:54 PM.
                                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X