X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where da heck is smoove B?
    If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• He's getting ready for our Salmon fishing trip.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Nice work CGAL...I mean CGNJ...
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• CG got his medals the same way I got all of mine.....bought them at the Army/Navy surplus store :D

Comment

• <Homer> Mmmmmm shots !!! </Homer>

admit it, you cried because you miss your hair

Congrats on the move !
            The only logical explanation is:
            I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Well, the wife comes home from work recently and proclaims that the front end suspension on her vehicle (2002 PT Cruiser) is making really bad noises and needs to be fixed. I took it for a test spin and sure enough, I am thinking tailgunner must have hit a curb or pothole because the alignment is poor and it really rattles when you hit the slightest bump.

We take the car into the dealership as it had to go there for an emergency visit back in January when the ignition switch bound up and made starting the car impossible. I manage to force it (after about 20 minutes of messing around with it) and took it right in for repair. Cost to replace the ignition cylinder $275.00. When they filled me in on the anticipated cost of repairs, they also suggested that I have the control arms replaced as the mechanic said they were going bad. I asked why they put the car on the hoist because it was not in for that type of repair and the answer was the mechanic heard noises as he brought it in to repair it and hoisted it to see what the problem was.

Well, we took the vehicle back in to the dealership thinking that the repairs suggested back in January are now a total necessity. We asked them to look up the records and quote us on the necessary repairs. The quote went like this: Control Arms both sides, $700.00, Bushings $90.00, Front end alignment $49.00. Total cost at about $860. including sales tax but not including ball joints, should they decide they need to be replaced. Ball joints would be an additional $250.00.

When my wife heard the cost, her response to the poor young lady who was the Repair Advocate was "Bite me! That is way too much. (then turning to me) Let's find a mechanic that will do it cheaper."

I came home and started researching the cost of the parts. Murrays Auto (a local Auto Supply shop that stocks parts at reasonable prices) told me they had to order the parts but, cost for both would be $280. payable in advance. I then inquired as to how much ball joints would cost and was informed they were $49.00 each for the unlimited warranty ones but would not need them because the control arms come complete with ball joints.

I ordered the parts and then got on the line to my brother asking him if he would help me replace them (He has a huge garage that no kidding, you could fit 15 cars in it and possesses about every tool ever invented by man). He said ya, no problem, I have a few things to do this week but let's get together next week. I told him that was no problem as I had to wait a week for the parts to come in anyway. He then asks me if I got bushings for it. I told him I did not. He said, you will need to get bushings if you are going to replace the whole arm.

A few days later (about 5 days before I expected them to come in) Murrays calls me to tell me my parts are in. While I have them on the line, I ask the price of the bushings. I am told that the part is listed but there is no price for them so that means they can not get them. Great! I call another parts store and they inform me the horizontal bushings are $9.95 and the vertical ones are $14.95. I ask if they have them in stock and they reply that they have the vertical ones but not the horizontal ones as they rarely wear out.

OK, so I scour the internet to try to get a schematic of the suspension system so I can see what they are talking about so I am sure I get the proper parts. Alas, I find someone who gives a link to the entire manual but, it is in a format I had never seen before. I download the manual and attempt to open it in notepad. Wrong move! Everything looks like it is in Chinese.

I google the format to find it is a new format that allows documents to be transferred to cell phones and PDAs. I download the exe file for PC's and install it. Try to open the manual and Shit! it keeps opening in notepad.

Somewhat pissed, I march off to Murrays to pick up the parts that have come in. When I pick them up, I ask to open the boxes to inspect them. To my surprise, not only did they come complete with ball joints but also had the vertical and horizontal bushings. I remarked that I was unaware that the bushings also came with the arms and that must be why they were not available for purchase from Murrays. The guys response was that they are so difficult to get in and out, you are better to replace the whole thing instead of fighting with just the bushings.

Bottom Line, for under $300 I will be fixing the vehicle that the dealership wanted almost three times that amount for.

I asked the wife if my diligence and frugality in getting the job done deserved a little special "thanks" and she responded that the only thanks deserved was actually due my brother for helping me, it was my responsibility. Naturally, her idea of how to thank my brother was way different than the thanks I was looking for.

Now all I have to do is get an allignment and the total job cost about $340. I haven't decided yet if I should encourage her to get the allignment on her own as it really is the responsibility of the primary driver to keep the vehicle in good repair (but thinking this over, I am guessing it will cause a rift that would likely last months and I would be hearing about it for years).

I saved a heap of cash but it would have been a home run if it would have come with a little lovin.
              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• there is always Dan-O ............
                The only logical explanation is:
                I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• I finally recieved all my fathers medals from his service. now working on getting the father in laws so we can put these two patriots side by side.... a man will never die -until and unless he is forgotten......
                  If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• Nice work Malto...
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Good job, Mark. You're so fortunate to have someone to call on for help. Most of us, especially me, would be at the mercy of the dealership.

Dale...I can imagine how meaningful it is to you to get those medals. Hope you are able to get your in-law's as well.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Agreed Deb, my little brother has been a huge help with lots of self-do projects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                          Well, the wife comes home from work recently and proclaims that the front end suspension on her vehicle (2002 PT Cruiser) is making really bad noises and needs to be fixed. I took it for a test spin and sure enough, I am thinking tailgunner must have hit a curb or pothole because the alignment is poor and it really rattles when you hit the slightest bump.

We take the car into the dealership as it had to go there for an emergency visit back in January when the ignition switch bound up and made starting the car impossible. I manage to force it (after about 20 minutes of messing around with it) and took it right in for repair. Cost to replace the ignition cylinder $275.00. When they filled me in on the anticipated cost of repairs, they also suggested that I have the control arms replaced as the mechanic said they were going bad. I asked why they put the car on the hoist because it was not in for that type of repair and the answer was the mechanic heard noises as he brought it in to repair it and hoisted it to see what the problem was.

Well, we took the vehicle back in to the dealership thinking that the repairs suggested back in January are now a total necessity. We asked them to look up the records and quote us on the necessary repairs. The quote went like this: Control Arms both sides, $700.00, Bushings $90.00, Front end alignment $49.00. Total cost at about $860. including sales tax but not including ball joints, should they decide they need to be replaced. Ball joints would be an additional $250.00.

When my wife heard the cost, her response to the poor young lady who was the Repair Advocate was "Bite me! That is way too much. (then turning to me) Let's find a mechanic that will do it cheaper."

I came home and started researching the cost of the parts. Murrays Auto (a local Auto Supply shop that stocks parts at reasonable prices) told me they had to order the parts but, cost for both would be $280. payable in advance. I then inquired as to how much ball joints would cost and was informed they were $49.00 each for the unlimited warranty ones but would not need them because the control arms come complete with ball joints.

I ordered the parts and then got on the line to my brother asking him if he would help me replace them (He has a huge garage that no kidding, you could fit 15 cars in it and possesses about every tool ever invented by man). He said ya, no problem, I have a few things to do this week but let's get together next week. I told him that was no problem as I had to wait a week for the parts to come in anyway. He then asks me if I got bushings for it. I told him I did not. He said, you will need to get bushings if you are going to replace the whole arm.

A few days later (about 5 days before I expected them to come in) Murrays calls me to tell me my parts are in. While I have them on the line, I ask the price of the bushings. I am told that the part is listed but there is no price for them so that means they can not get them. Great! I call another parts store and they inform me the horizontal bushings are $9.95 and the vertical ones are $14.95. I ask if they have them in stock and they reply that they have the vertical ones but not the horizontal ones as they rarely wear out.

OK, so I scour the internet to try to get a schematic of the suspension system so I can see what they are talking about so I am sure I get the proper parts. Alas, I find someone who gives a link to the entire manual but, it is in a format I had never seen before. I download the manual and attempt to open it in notepad. Wrong move! Everything looks like it is in Chinese.

I google the format to find it is a new format that allows documents to be transferred to cell phones and PDAs. I download the exe file for PC's and install it. Try to open the manual and Shit! it keeps opening in notepad.

Somewhat pissed, I march off to Murrays to pick up the parts that have come in. When I pick them up, I ask to open the boxes to inspect them. To my surprise, not only did they come complete with ball joints but also had the vertical and horizontal bushings. I remarked that I was unaware that the bushings also came with the arms and that must be why they were not available for purchase from Murrays. The guys response was that they are so difficult to get in and out, you are better to replace the whole thing instead of fighting with just the bushings.

Bottom Line, for under $300 I will be fixing the vehicle that the dealership wanted almost three times that amount for.

I asked the wife if my diligence and frugality in getting the job done deserved a little special "thanks" and she responded that the only thanks deserved was actually due my brother for helping me, it was my responsibility. Naturally, her idea of how to thank my brother was way different than the thanks I was looking for.

Now all I have to do is get an allignment and the total job cost about $340. I haven't decided yet if I should encourage her to get the allignment on her own as it really is the responsibility of the primary driver to keep the vehicle in good repair (but thinking this over, I am guessing it will cause a rift that would likely last months and I would be hearing about it for years).

I saved a heap of cash but it would have been a home run if it would have come with a little lovin.

Since its your "responsibility", give your brother a $300 "gift" for using his space and equipment and then because you are brothers and you have a good relationship with him, ask him to give you a kick back of 50%.

Use that $150 to go buy yourself something nice and when the Mrs. asks how and why you have this new something nice, just let her know that due to your networking and relationships, you earned a bonus that you were responsible for spending because you saved the family budget some money.

Good day!
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Nice pic and speech CG.

I take it it's been awhile? You've seemed a bit cranky lately.
                            "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• I am hearing your situation loud and clear maltus.
                              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by romster View Post
                                I take it it's been awhile? You've seemed a bit cranky lately.
                                There have been other issues but the lack of support on the home front does raise the most important issues.

Thanks for noticing and being tolerant with my bad moods.

I promise to try not to bring them into issue again.

Comment

Working...
                                X