No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, my brain is shot. I saw "half priced apps" and my first thought was of phones and ipads.
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
      lol!!

I waitressed and bartended back in the olden days, so I also tend to tip pretty well.

I also believe in being a good customer.

For instance, a group of us from work went to On the Border a couple weeks ago for their fantastic happy hour (half-priced apps, half-priced margaritas). The poor waitress we had was running back and forth for our group. One person would ask for water, she would return with it and another person would then ask for a pop....or more chips....or another margarita.

People: Have the courtesy to anticipate that you may want something in the next five minutes and order it at the same time as the others in your group!

As a restaurant manager I would like to know why it is okay to show up to a buisness 15 minutes before it closes and THEN stay another hour without spending any money? What other buisness will allow this?
      Your right! Matty Boy will save us all!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post

Interesting.

Over the years I have developed a strategy and Mrs. Malto takes great delight on how I interpret the strategy.

It starts off with an automatic 20%.

(Good tip)

If it takes an abnormally long time to be recognized, tip reduced.

(huge problem, ask for a manager, they would like to know)

If we are asked if we want a second drink before we order our food, drink costs are removed from the tipping base.

(Not sure why this would upset you. Servers are taught to ask at 1/2 full mark.)

If we are delivered anything (food, drinks, ketchup) and the server has a tray that has other peoples order on it, tip reduced.

(Understandable, however sometimes they are busy and trying to be efficent)

If we are asked how our meal is before we get a chance to get the first bite in our mouth or, just got it in, tip reduced.

(Should be 2 bites or 2 minutes, whatever comes first)

If the wrong item is delivered to the table, tip drastically reduced.

(My restaurant utilizes food runners. Not the servers fault)

If the server puts the wrong thing down in front of the diner at the table (and mind you, most often when we eat out, it is just Mrs. Malto and myself) tip reduced.

(See above)

A tip is always left but if major problems pop up, the minimum tip is 5% of the food bill.

(Again, any problems, ask for a manager. Most people seem embarrassed to speak to me. We can not correct problems we are unaware of.)

I feel this sends a message to the server that there was a problem with the service.
        (While I agree, sometimes people just have a rough day. I have no idea what is going on in their personal life. While that is not your problem, and should not affect your service, I deal with about 25 servers a day and I can tell you, I have had many who have had deaths in the family, marital problems and so on. People not in the service indusrty have the luxury of having bad days and not having their pay affected. I always try to give servers the benefit of the doubt. Unless of course it is rudeness. That is never tolerable)

*I put my responses in bold to be easier to read. I in no way have a problem with this system. Just my opinions.
        Last edited by MiamiTreo3; March 8, 2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiTreo3 View Post
          As a restaurant manager I would like to know why it is okay to show up to a buisness 15 minutes before it closes and THEN stay another hour without spending any money? What other buisness will allow this?
          Why would yours?

5 minutes before the kitchen closes they should be made aware the kitchen is about to close and you would like to get their order in before it does.

If they are not ordering from the bar, 15 minuets after closing I would politely inform them the place has closed and ask if they could allow the cleaning staff to access the area they are occupying.

If they are ordering from the bar, well, then they are spending money.
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I have a perception that servers at nicer restaurants are paid better than at outback or dennys. Thus if I am at a $40-$50 a plate place I am much closer to 20% than leaving $5 for a $12 meal.
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
              Why would yours?

5 minutes before the kitchen closes they should be made aware the kitchen is about to close and you would like to get their order in before it does.

If they are not ordering from the bar, 15 minuets after closing I would politely inform them the place has closed and ask if they could allow the cleaning staff to access the area they are occupying.

If they are ordering from the bar, well, then they are spending money.

We do last call for the kitchen 10 minutes before closing and for the bar exactly at closing time. At this point no sales are being made and people will sit and talk for up to an hour afterwards. It is considered rude to suggest these guests speed up their consumption. I constantly sit around and wait for them to finish and THEN clean up after them. If there is only 1 or 2 tables left I will allow my staff to leave and I clean up myself. I just think it is rude. I would like to go home after my 10-14 hour shift.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                I have a perception that servers at nicer restaurants are paid better than at outback or dennys. Thus if I am at a $40-$50 a plate place I am much closer to 20% than leaving $5 for a $12 meal.

Tips may be better but there is probably a lot less of them.
                30-$ 5 dollar tips=150
                4- $ 20 dollar tips=100
                Its how Mcdonalds makes so much money.
                Turn 'em and burn 'em

Comment

• By paid better I meant actual wage rate

Comment

By paid better I meant actual wage rate

I have never worked in fine dining, but I doubt it. Servers in Fl. are paid 4.26 and hour plus tips.

Comment

• I'm not trying to slag the finer dining wait staff. I think 20% is a good tip. I just tip beyond 20% at the lower end of the scale because the effort warrants more than me leaving $1.60 on an $8 tab. So I'll leave $3 or $4 if the service was good.

Comment

I'm not trying to slag the finer dining wait staff. I think 20% is a good tip. I just tip beyond 20% at the lower end of the scale because the effort warrants more than me leaving $1.60 on an $8 tab. So I'll leave $3 or $4 if the service was good.

You are one of the few.

Comment

• Along the same lines, some time I stop for breakfast before getting into work and the place I go has a breakfast special that usually runs about $3.25 including tax.

I always leave a buck.

Comment

• Permit me to add my two cents worth.

I have never quite gotten over the unfairness of tipping on a per cent of the bill basis.
                            Often, one can stop for a meal at a diner where the employee might work harder than the waiter at a five star restaurant. To tip 20 per cent for a seven dollar bill, seems quite low. I would leave a minimum of two dollars. Even that seems low when I consider the waiter where my bill is 100 dollars is expecting a 20 dollar gratuity.

Here's one we have all encountered My wife looks for it everytime...the very fine print at the bottom of the back page....Prices include a 15% gratuity. Some places post 20 per cent, So often the waiter gets double because so many people don't see the notice.

Comment

• Can't see the doc that shows mandatory gratuity.

.......and in the States, if you put the tip on your CC the House will deduct the CC fees, give the employee the rest then report to the IRS monies they paid that were received but should be on someone elses tax bill.

I am wondering how much that pizza guy got in cash?

Comment

• I recently went to a get together with some old work mates at a bar. They were aeting and had some beers. I drank water-no food. I left $2.00 when we left. What % is that? :-)
                                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X