Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
    Air travelers will soon be able to use their tablets and other electronic devices from gate to gate, the Federal Aviation Administration announced Thursday.

The agency said it has determined that airlines can safely expand passenger use of portable electronic devices during all phases of a flight, and it is providing airlines with guidance for implementation, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said during a morning news conference.

Although implementation will vary among airlines, Huerta said the agency expects all carriers to prove they can safely allow the gate-to-gate use of personal devices by the end of the year. The change follows recommendations from an advisory group that issued its report last month.

Under the new regulations, passengers will be able to read e-books and watch videos on their devices without having to turn their devices off during takeoff and landing. Instead of having to turn cellphones off, passengers will be able to keep them on airplane mode, which prevents phones from being able to send or receive data, calls and text messages.

Phone calls remain banned by the Federal Communications Commission. The FCC had considered lifting the ban before opting in 2007 to leave the rules in place.

Electronic devices will still need to be held or put away during takeoff and landing, the agency said.

"We believe today's decision honors both our commitment to safety and consumers' increasing desire to use their electronic devices during all phases of their flights," said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx in a statement. "These guidelines reflect input from passengers, pilots, manufacturers, and flight attendants, and I look forward to seeing airlines implement these much anticipated guidelines in the near future."

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), who has also pushed for easing the restrictions, praised the FAA's announcement as a win for travelers.

"This is great news for the traveling public -- and frankly, a win for common sense," said McCaskill, chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee's subcommittee on consumer protection. "I applaud the FAA for taking the necessary steps to change these outdated regulations, and I look forward to the airlines turning around quick plans for implementation."

The decision was also celebrated by companies that sell these electronic devices. Paul Misener, Amazon's vice president for global public policy, was a member of the committee that advocated for changing the rules. The committee also included representatives from airlines, industry groups and aircraft manufacturers.

"We've been fighting for our customers on this issue for years - testing an airplane packed full of Kindles, working with the FAA, and serving as the device manufacturer on this committee," Amazon.com spokesman Drew Herdener said in a statement. "This is a big win for customers and, frankly, it's about time."

The U.S. Travel Association also praised the decision, saying that easing the prohibitions during takeoff and landing would make the traveler's experience more enjoyable without interfering with safety or security.

"The travel community is grateful, because what's good for the traveler is good for travel-related businesses and our economy," Roger Dow, the association's president and chief executive, said in a statement.

Here are the FAA's top 10 things passengers should know about expanded use of a personal electronic device (PED) on airplanes:

1. Make safety your first priority.

2. Changes to PED policies will not happen immediately and will vary by airline. Check with your airline to see if and when you can use your PED.

3. Current PED policies remain in effect until an airline completes a safety assessment, gets FAA approval and changes its PED policy.

4. Cellphones may not be used for voice communications.

5. Devices must be used in airplane mode or with the cellular connection disabled. You may use the WiFi connection on your device if the plane has an installed WiFi system and the airline allows its use. You can also continue to use short-range Bluetooth accessories, such as wireless keyboards.

6. Properly stow heavier devices under seats or in the overhead bins during takeoff and landing. These items could impede evacuation of an aircraft or may injure you or someone else in the event of turbulence or an accident.

7. During the safety briefing, put down electronic devices, books and newspapers and listen to the crew member's instructions.

8. It only takes a few minutes to secure items according to the crew's instructions during takeoff and landing.

9. In some instances of low visibility -- about 1 percent of flights -- some landing systems may not be proved PED tolerant, so you may be asked to turn off your device.

10. Always follow crew instructions and immediately turn off your device if asked.
    All fine and dandy. I just want to know when they are going to green light the already approved carry on of pocket knives. I don't like traveling in strange cities w/o some protection for myself (and my girls when they travel with me 1 out of 10 times).
    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• You can put it in your checked luggage and still have your blade with you in a new city.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
        You can put it in your checked luggage and still have your blade with you in a new city.
        I know this. That is why I specifically wrote "carry on." I routinely fly for my job and I use a carry on all the time to avoid checking a bag and the increased chance of lost luggage.

Comment

• I'm ok with the general public not having knives at hand in an airplane. Check your weapon or leave it home
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
            I'm ok with the general public not having knives at hand in an airplane. Check your weapon or leave it home
            Sorry...we'll soon get to carry again, by law.

Comment

• oh well

Comment

• I carry a knife on me at all times (my father in law is a knife maker, just comes with the territory), and I had a meeting with a client at the government center. My arms were full of loose prints, plus two large framed items. I walked two blocks like this because the lot was full, got up to the door, saw the metal detector, and thought "Oh shit."

I told the guard I had the blade on me, see if I could get in anyway, he told me no dice. Had to carry all of that back to the truck, drop off the pocket knife, haul all the items back to the main door, and in through the detector. One of the guards apologized to me, said "Rules were rules." I think he felt sorry for me.
                AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Yep...hate when i forget i have one on me at the wrong time(s).

Comment

• I carry two pocket knives with me at all times (tools of my trade) and have only lost one in 40 years. Had to leave it at the gate at the Silverdome in 1991.

Now, I remember to leave them at home when traveling or in the car when going into a secured building that scans.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• "Sorry...we'll soon get to carry again, by law."
                      -------------------------Good. The easiest "prey" are those who the bad guys know have nothing to defend themselves.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Remember, before some folks get all revved up in their escape from new york/ snake plisken style fantasies, that we are talking about only being able to carry the pocket knife on while flying commercial. Not someone who is running the gauntlet in the road warrior.

Comment

• Gee, too bad he didn't have a pocket knife to defend himself.....

Reports: TSA employee killed in LAX shooting

Suspect in custody

Author: By Michael Martinez CNN

Published On: Nov 01 2013 12:45:55 PM EDT Updated On: Nov 01 2013 02:21:42 PM EDT
                          LIVE: Gunshots reported at LA airport

(CNN) - One Transportation Security Administration employee was killed in Friday's shooting at Los Angeles International Airport, NBC News and CBS News reported.

A suspect has been shot and is in police custody. The shooting prompted evacuations at LAX, a law enforcement source close to the investigation told CNN's Miguel Marquez.

Airport officials also confirmed the arrest in a tweet, adding that there were "multiple victims." NBC News reported that at least two other people were wounded.

The incident began when a person with a firearm approached a checkpoint at Terminal 3 Friday morning and opened fire on Transportation Security Administration agent, a former Los Angeles Police Department ranking officer who arrived at the scene shortly after the incident told CNN. The gunman wore camouflage gear, a source told CBS News.

Multiple shots were fired, and the TSA agent and the gunman were taken to hospitals, the source said.
                          Authorities evacuated parts of the airport after the shooting. The incident led to a "ground stop" for arriving planes, said police and the Federal Aviation Administration.

Airport officials said a police incident began about 9:30 a.m., airport spokeswoman Nancy Suey Castles said.

Passenger Robert Perez, who was getting ready to fly Virgin Air, was taking a nap in the terminal when panic erupted, he told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.
                          "I heard a popping sound, and everybody was diving for cover," Perez told the station. "The TSA said there was a shooting in the terminal and evacuate the building."

At least 100 people came down a staircase. "Everybody started to panic," Perez said.

Fox Sports national columnist Bill Reiter was also at the airport during the gunfire. "After the initial burst of gunfire and hiding, people started jumping over one another, jumping off chairs, pushing each other. Chaos & fear," he said on his Twitter account.

The passengers were directed to board a bus and were taken to a smaller terminal, Perez told the affiliate.

Alex Neumann was at a food court, waiting to travel to Miami, when the incident unfolded. He said Terminal 2 was put into lockdown.
                          "People were running and people getting knocked down. There was luggage everywhere," Neumann told CNN. "Mayhem is the best I can describe it."
                          Several police officers moved about the airport with guns drawn, he said.
                          The Los Angeles Fire Department is assisting with a "multi-patient" incident at Los Angeles International Airport, the department said Friday on Twitter.

Firefighters were laying down tarps on the street at the airport, which appeared to be triage tarps. Several ambulances were at the airport, and at least one person was loaded into an ambulance.

The area around the airport was jammed with cars as police shut down access to the airport Friday morning.

President Barack Obama has been briefed on the incident, White House spokesman Jay Carney said. He didn't have any additional information about what had happened.

Comment

• Didn't even read it, Tony. Don't wish to. Fact is for every "anti" weapon post you make I can find one of the opposite.
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I also take delight in TSA agents being killed Tony. That made my day.
                              Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• gee frank, stretch a meaning much? Not one bit of my post took delight in the agent being killed. It was bitterly sarcastic though as to the efficacy of a pocket knife as a self defense weapon.

Comment

Working...
                                X