No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I could really shut down the Gremlins, VW's, Vega's, and Pinto's with it. Ha!"
    --------------------------No way buddy. I had an orange Gremlin. That thing was a rocket.
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptainBlue View Post
      I got the Edge. I love it so far. It's nice to not have to worry about car problems anymore.

Sent from my XT1080
      I'm sitting on the patio.
      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
        "I could really shut down the Gremlins, VW's, Vega's, and Pinto's with it. Ha!"
        --------------------------No way buddy. I had an orange Gremlin. That thing was a rocket.
        My sister's Gremlin always did a little cough/backfire between first and second gear.
        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• !

Originally posted by DanO View Post
          "I could really shut down the Gremlins, VW's, Vega's, and Pinto's with it. Ha!"
          You obviously never encountered a a Corvair Spyder!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
            Yessir. This one is the V-dub flavor. The engines mated to Corvair transaxles I believe had to be setup to rotate the opposite way, or the transaxle had to be flipped over to turn the wheels the correct way. I just got a wild hair growing and decided to mate it with some 50+ year newer technology and engineering.

I was condisdering an S-10 frame and chassis (cheap parts!), after seeing some people use those under vw beetles to build v-8 bugs.

carmensbugs.proboards.com/thread/8/v8-super-beetle-project

But I am thinking of going a different route because I am skeptical I could ever get it to sit low enough to look right. Fiero seems like a great candidate - rear engined, much more modern suspension and features.

It should be a lot of fun. I am sure I will spout many choice words normally reserved for Lions games in the process. But I will get to put my sawsall and welder to lots of use!
            That was a great link, but a sad one, on the V8 Beetle. The poor guy worked on it for years, then had to sell it just as he was about finished with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
              That was a great link, but a sad one, on the V8 Beetle. The poor guy worked on it for years, then had to sell it just as he was about finished with it.
              Agreed. Life can be a bitch sometimes. I came across it looking for frame / chassis ideas before I decided to ditch everything vw for my build.

But yeah.... I am sure he was more bummed than he let on. He seemed to take it better than I might have.
              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Thanks for buying American branded.
                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                  Thanks for buying American branded.
                  You're welcome. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptainBlue View Post
                    You're welcome. I wouldn't buy anything else.
                    Sent from your Japanese phone?

Edit: Ok maybe the phone is American. But have you only got American made stuff in your house? You not got a sneaky wee Japanese clock-radio in a room somewhere?
                    Last edited by Marko69; January 12, 2015, 02:47 AM. Reason: Finding out the XT R2D2 C3PO Jedi knight 1080 is 'Merikan.
                    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Apparently the Edge is made in Ontario, so you should thank those Canucks too, eh! :D
                      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Oh no...

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                          Sent from your Japanese phone?

Edit: Ok maybe the phone is American. But have you only got American made stuff in your house? You not got a sneaky wee Japanese clock-radio in a room somewhere?
                          I try first to buy American. I try. Which is more than most of my compatriots do.

F China

Just found this timely article after posting the above statement.

Buy American, Watch Your Taxes Go Down

You remember Cliff Claven, the postman from the popular television series, Cheers? He’d philosophize and pontificate and come up with the most interesting factoids. Well, Cliff Claven was played by talented comedian and actor John Ratzenberger. I recently had the opportunity to interview him about buying American made products. And with only a few shopping days left until Christmas, that’s exactly was Ratzenberger wants us to do.

Ratzenberger is touring the country promoting the concept of buying American. In fact, he and entrepreneur Mark Andol have created a website,*madeinamericastore.com, which educates the public on the advantages and necessity of buying American and also sells American made products. Currently on special for the holidays are gift boxes of made-in-America products designed for children, men, and women, respectively.

He gives an example as to why, if we want to experience economic growth, it is important to buy American. “If you buy a T-shirt made in China for $4-5 cheaper than you can get here, you will eventually put the American T-shirt company out of business.” This company will then no longer pay for a business license (tax), collect and pay sales taxes, or pay income taxes to the state and to Uncle Sam. Lower tax revenues eventually lead to economic decline. It also leads to the missing tax dollars being made up by the rest of the population.

“It’s a domino effect,” Ratzenberger says. “I know a lot of truckers in Los Angeles. They used to take a truck load of merchandise back east and return with a full load of merchandise to be shipped out from L.A. to points around the world. You know what they’re telling me now? They’re coming back empty.” This is a reduction in the trucker’s pay. Therefore a reduction in the amount of taxes he pays. Everyone is affected. If there are fewer truckers on the road, there’s less need for truck stops and fuel and junk food too.

Ratzenberger grew up in Bridgeport, Ct., a manufacturing town. He started out as a journeyman carpenter. In fact, he helped build the stage at Woodstock. “All my heroes were people who could make things. Manufacturing is our strength. It’s the people who get up in the morning and put their hands to something that make America strong. But they are eliminating shop courses in schools and people are losing skills.” Ratzenberger feels that this must change or our country will suffer.

Ratzenberger claims the tools made by American manufacturers, such as the Estwing hammer, will last far longer than its Chinese counterpart. He says, “I can spot a Chinese hammer from yards away just by the way the metal glints off the sun. Those hammers chip and break in no time at all. Whereas an Estwing hammer can be handed down from one generation to the next.”

You get what you pay for.

Products made in China are of poorer quality. Not only that, but Ratzenberger adds, “There are no laws in China covering environmental issues. They do whatever they want. One third of all our air and water pollution comes from China. They have no EPA. In America we have found ways to protect the environment but these methods cost money. As a result, we must charge higher prices. But investment in American-made products will pay off in a cleaner, safer environment and a stronger economy.”

When going into a big box store this holiday season and thereafter, Ratzenberger encourages Americans to ask where the “made in America” section is. “And if they don’t have one,” he adds, “walk out!”

Bonnie Leeis an enrolled agent admitted to practice and representing taxpayers in all 50 states at all levels within the*Internal Revenue Service. She is the owner of Taxpertise in Sonoma, Calif.
                          Last edited by Panoptes; January 12, 2015, 09:20 AM.
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                            Oh no...

Oh shit. Apologies. Did that have the potential for a full blown fuck off debate about purchasing?!

Keep buying American people, I'll keep squeezing out the haggis farts.
                            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/ea-sends-awesome-gift-package-to-cheated-10-year-old-lions-fan-194252386.html

EA sends awesome gift package to cheated 10-year-old Lions fan

By Chris Morris 2 hours ago Plugged In

Content preferences

Done

. View photo

(Credit: EA)

After Sunday's not-quite-a-catch cost their team a spot in the NFC title game, Dallas Cowboys fans feel pretty cheated. But so does a young Detroit Lions fan, who was treated to a dose of poor sportsmanship the week prior during a fan event at the Cowboys/Lions game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

The contest? Musical chairs. The prize? A copy of Madden 15 for the PS4. The victim? A 10-year-old boy named Roman, who clearly won the event only to watch a terrible hostess punish him for wearing the wrong jersey:

It was all well and good until the hostess noticed his allegiance to the Lions and ordered another final round, one that Roman lost.
                              While the hostess did say on stage that both Roman and his competitor would be named winners, it didn't stop the video from going viral.
                              "I'm sorry," she says, after hurling herself at Roman to ensure he didn't win the second round. "I can't have a Lion's fan win all by himself."
                              Sure, she was pandering to the crowd, but there's a fine line between team loyalty and being a complete jerk.
                              The incident managed to capture the attention of Madden maker EA Sports, which stepped in to make things right for Roman:
                              That?s a copy of Madden, a new PS4 and an autographed mini-helmet from Lions receiver Calvin Johnson.
                              Well played, EA. Now see what you can do about fixing the NFL's insane catch rules.
                              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• ^NICE!!!
                                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X