No announcement yet.

Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to do that when Mrs. SLF and I get our SS stuff periodically. I am always amazed at how we made it on what we made when we first moved to Seattle.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Originally posted by Larsky View Post
      I owed so much that I never could envision making any meaningful dent in it. Then one day I just got tired of it, made a plan, et voila, sixteen short months later, debt go bye-bye.

One of the fun things in the whole exercise was looking at my annual income since I entered the workforce in 1989 or so. I can't believe how poor I was, and for how long. Now that I have a bit of cash flow, I'm finally learning how to make it flow in better....er....directions.
      I was in the same boat only my plan took 5 years to execute. And I hear ya on the cash flow. Now I'm actually saving and am addicted to it. Somewhat. I've also, for the first time since paying off my debt, allowed myself some extravagances I didn't used to such as pedicures. Next up is buying a house but I'm reluctant. Even though I know it's the smart thing to do, I'm not ready to be poor again.
      "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

You aren't poor Rom. You are diversifying your wealth!

(I joke but it's somewhat true. Buying a house, especially if you get a decent rate, is really largely a change in accounting categories.)
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Congratulations to anyone that can be debt free in this Economy!
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

alot of it is being frugally intelligent, but alot of it is I have been blessed with being able to walk this earth with my best friend who knows what a dollar is worth. We paid off the house and pay cash for everything else.......in this day and age it is a rariety
            If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

Originally posted by romster View Post
              I was in the same boat only my plan took 5 years to execute. And I hear ya on the cash flow. Now I'm actually saving and am addicted to it. Somewhat. I've also, for the first time since paying off my debt, allowed myself some extravagances I didn't used to such as pedicures. Next up is buying a house but I'm reluctant. Even though I know it's the smart thing to do, I'm not ready to be poor again.
              Just look at it this way . How much equity is that rent payment getting you over the next 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? I bought my 1st house 10 years before I ever got any sort of car payment including a used one!

Not to mention my current house has more then doubled in value since I bought it.

We started out with an older 2bd mobile in a park because it was all we could afford but at the very least I wasn't paying someone else's mortgage. Then we moved up to a 2bd mobile w/land then a doubled wide. Now we have a huge 4bd house on an acre and another smaller 4bd I rent out that is almost paid for by tenants (<5 years 20K owed)

I'm constantly on my kids to never ever borrow money and pay interest for any depreciating assest until they have minimum 50% equity in a home!
              Last edited by King Cole; June 7, 2008, 10:26 PM.
              I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008

Comment

Originally posted by THE STEE View Post
                alot of it is being frugally intelligent, but alot of it is I have been blessed with being able to walk this earth with my best friend who knows what a dollar is worth. We paid off the house and pay cash for everything else.......in this day and age it is a rariety
                Well said Stee.

Comment

Rommy, now is the time to buy a house. It's like buying stock at it's lowest value knowing it's eventually going to go up substantially. The interest rates are low. You aren't getting anything for the rent your paying and you can get into a house for not much more than you are paying for rent currently.

If I had the funds I'd buy as much property as I could because it's only going to go up. I need to hurry up and win the lotto.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Originally posted by King Cole View Post
                    personally I think we all myself included are a bit too anal with the spelling and grammer. It's a flippin message board not a letter to your congressman or CEO of a company. Lighten up
                    It's more like a letter from the Detoit City Council........
                    The only logical explanation is:
                    I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Originally posted by King Cole View Post
                      I'm constantly on my kids to never ever borrow money and pay interest for any depreciating assest until they have minimum 50% equity in a home!
                      That's a pretty good rule to have. In fact, you could even simplify it to "Never borrow money and pay interest for any depreciating asset."

You could publish that one sentence as "Personal Financial Responsibility for Dummies."
                      "To alcohol! The cause of—and solution to—all of life's problems." —Homer Simpson, 1997

Comment

• Larsky, congrat's on giving credit cards the heave ho! Good for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by King Cole View Post
                          personally I think we all myself included are a bit too anal with the spelling and grammer. It's a flippin message board not a letter to your congressman or CEO of a company. Lighten up
                          Nothing wrong with pointing out a spelling or gramatical error to someone, since our lone function for communication in here is writing. If nothing else, alerting someone to persistant errors may save a fellow forumite an embarrassment somewhere along the line.

I suppose it's a waste of time, however, to spend your critical eye on Socal or Jdog.
                          ------------
                          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• grammatical, that is. ;)
                            ------------
                            <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• I freaking hate the Grammaticas!!!
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Martin (Pronounce Mar-teen) and Bill.

WTF is up with that?
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X