Non-football related stuff that really makes your day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats KC!

I have always wanted to run a marathon but unfortunately, I stopped running a while back and have not gotten back into it.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• "Completed the Frederick (Maryland) Marathon yesterday, 26.2 miles in 4:42:54."
      ----------------------------Did you walk the whole way??? :-)

Good job kck. BTW, does anyone know where the term marathon came from?

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• A gas station in Toledo, Ohio?
        "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Yep, it comes from the ancient battle of Marathon, Greece. Athens was on the verge of being attacked, but a small army fought off the much larger Persian host. Legend has it that Pheidippides, a greek Messenger, ran from the battle site at Marathon to Athens (ca. 25 miles) to proclaim victory. According to the somewhat doubtful legend, he proclaimed one word, "victory", then died.

I can kind of relate, that's how I felt at the end too.

Then the Brits came along and their queen wanted to watch the Marathon in the 1908, so they made it 1.2 miles longer just so Queen Victoria could watch the start from Windsor Castle (thanks a lot!). Her interest was great for the sport, but bad for the runners -- the longer distance stuck, and became the customary distance.

PS this morning, exactly three days after the race, is the first day I can walk up and down stairs without agony. I already have plans to run my next one focusing more on finishing time (and for the Alzheimers Association) in October.

Comment

• Interesting stuff, kck-sum. I have been to Windsor Castle. I wonder why they could not just shorten the other end of the race, rather than extend the start back to the castle?
            Last edited by bimmer84; May 6, 2009, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• Talked to guy in the gym today, he's running a 100 mile event this weekend. They don't run it all at once they start on Saturday and when they finish on Sunday they will have run 100 miles. - pretty abusive if you ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by kck-sum View Post
                Yep, it comes from the ancient battle of Marathon, Greece. Athens was on the verge of being attacked, but a small army fought off the much larger Persian host. Legend has it that Pheidippides, a greek Messenger, ran from the battle site at Marathon to Athens (ca. 25 miles) to proclaim victory. According to the somewhat doubtful legend, he proclaimed one word, "victory", then died.

I can kind of relate, that's how I felt at the end too.

Then the Brits came along and their queen wanted to watch the Marathon in the 1908, so they made it 1.2 miles longer just so Queen Victoria could watch the start from Windsor Castle (thanks a lot!). Her interest was great for the sport, but bad for the runners -- the longer distance stuck, and became the customary distance.

PS this morning, exactly three days after the race, is the first day I can walk up and down stairs without agony. I already have plans to run my next one focusing more on finishing time (and for the Alzheimers Association) in October.

kck-sum

Excellent cause to run for. ALL of us are susceptible to that horrid disease.

Let me know if you are taking donations.
                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• "Yep, it comes from the ancient battle of Marathon, Greece. Athens was on the verge of being attacked, but a small army fought off the much larger Persian host. Legend has it that Pheidippides, a greek Messenger, ran from the battle site at Marathon to Athens (ca. 25 miles) to proclaim victory. According to the somewhat doubtful legend, he proclaimed one word, "victory", then died."
                  --------------------------Very good kck although my recollection was he ran from Athens to Marathon and the distance was 26 miles. Sounds like you know it much better than I however.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• surviving an intense 4 day move from a 3rd floor apt to a (rented) house. You never ever realize how much crap you have until you have to pack it all and move it. Thankfully fam stepped in Saturday for all the big stuff, but I had to pack (and move) the conents of the entire garage, and much of the rest myself.....

Good thing is more space, backyard and deck for kids to play on/in, a 1 car garage, and ample functional space. We really want to buy but without a long term secondary income it's not gonna happen yet....

add this event into the past three working weekends of web server suddenly crashing and a file/SQL server migration, and sick kids... it's been a doozy..
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• COOP,

Whats up stranger?

Congrats on another successful move.

Let the kiddies run now.
                      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Moving is hard. But making a new place a home is fun! Congratulations!
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                          A gas station in Toledo, Ohio?
                          hehehee its true.. born and raised in Toledo

Comment

• Congrats on getting out of the apartment Coop and into something more spacious for the kids.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Congrats on the move Coop. Hope youre happy in your new digs. And congrats to you KC. Running marathons for both personal and charitable reasons is very admirable.
                              "You got champagne taste but you only have beer money. That's not gooood!" Herm Edwards.

Comment

• Congrats Coop!

Comment

Working...
                                X