No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In other news, Alabam just so happens to feel like spending thousands to upgrade Dr Phillips HS' (home of one dee hart)facilities. While using them during bowl week.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
      And look where it got him. He died.
      lol. wow its cold in here!
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
        So do figure skaters not have chance to be the best? Do figure skaters not compete? Is every figure skating gold medal fraudulent?

The formula for winning the championship pre-BCS and current BCS is simple: put good teams on your schedule and win. To whatever extent TCU or the like can't get good teams to play them, that's unfair and should be fixed. But you don't need a playoff to do that.

But regardless - there is plenty of competition (and corresponding commitment) available for the student athlete simply by winning their division and going to a bowl. That is a tremendous accomplishment. If its not enough, then let it come from the schools and the student athletes themselves. Us middle aged overweight guys don't have a say in this no matter how much we want a playoff and should stop pretending that we do.
        While the scores they get are subjective considering they are not competing directly with another skater, all the way up to the olympics they compete against each other in qualifiers. In any other sport there is a true system in place for competition to allow the best teams to have a chance at each other. In any other team based sports with that use goals to keep track of scoring they are the only ones without a straight play-off structure.

In a sport where there is no such thing as an ugly win, teams are given style points in NCAA FB. I don't know how anyone in the world can accept that.
        AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• High school sports don't have a national championsip.
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• There are always style points. The only difference between the NCAA ball tourney and the BCS are the number of teams selected.

There will be deserving folks that don't make it no matter the system. So get over
            Needing a playoff and enjoy the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
              High school sports don't have a national championsip.
              Please don't give Mark Cuban any more ideas for monitizing kids sports.
              Last edited by LightninBoy; December 22, 2010, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                lol. wow its cold in here!
                I just thought it was funny that K-Stat would offer a Vince Lombardi platitude to buttress his argument. Famous Sayings Attributed to Vince Lombardi <> Building Blocks of a Logical Debate.
                I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                  While we're at it, why do we even keep score? Why do we need a winner and a loser? Why isn't it enough for everyone to simply play hard and give your best? For a long time, it wasn't about winning or losing, it was how you played the game. What changed?
                  Lol
                  Forever One!

Comment

There will be deserving folks that don't make it no matter the system. So get over needing a playoff and enjoy the game.
                    First, i think it's obvious most of us enjoy the games as they are, but feel the system can be improved.

Secondly, a "deserving" 12-0 team who gets to do nothing is a lot different from a 10-2 team who gets left out because other 10-2 teams are better. I find it doubtful we'd ever have more than 4 undefeated teams in a given year, and those teams are the ones who should have a chance to win it all, instead of being told they can never win a NC because they chose to go to TCU and a bunch of journalists didn't think they were good enough.

The same statement by a team with a few losses doesn't carry the same weight.

I will have a great time watching auburn and oregon go at it, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like some other games to be worth watching. What if Conneticut wins? Cool an upset. What if they win and advance to play wisonsin because a tourney is in place? Now we start wondering if we have a cinderella on our hands. Much more compelling if you ask me.

Comment

• Have you seen TCUs schedule? Oregon state and Utah are the two best teams they played. And utah lost by a ton to Notre Dame the week after the TCU game.

Be honest with me now. Do you think they go undefeated in the SEC, Big 10, Pac-10, or Big 12? They certainly didnt show it through thier weak schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
                        Who said it only applies to college football?

It is. But that has no impact on the underlying motives of folks like kstat who want to change it. They want to be entertained by college boys.
                        There has always been an attraction to watching men compete and perform at higher levels than others are capable. It's that attraction that brought sport to its huge money making industry. So what lesser condition fuels Kstat's underlying motive that you don't possess yourself?
                        ------------
                        <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

High school sports don't have a national championsip.
                          That's more of a cost saver. But they also don't call a team the National champion. They call them the state champion.
                          AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

There are always style points. The only difference between the NCAA ball tourney and the BCS are the number of teams selected.

There will be deserving folks that don't make it no matter the system. So get over
                            Needing a playoff and enjoy the game.
                            There is always a limit. You can't have a post season without upsetting a few bubble people but that is real life.

But there is a big issue when the bubble team isn't team polled #65 but team polled #3.

The BCS is a poor attempt at crowning a championship on system designed more into fitting a couple extra national covered football games on to the end of the college season. If you don't care for a "champion" then the bowl system itself is enough, if you do then the BCS is not the way to accomplish it.

But lets not pretend that a two team play off isn't the ridiculous idea in the world and its the only sport in the college or pros that even comes close to it. Hell even a sport that doesn't need a play-offs, like motor sports (and only because all competitors compete at the same time and over the course of dozens of races) with Nascar have a play-off system.

While NCAA MBB could probably come up with a better system so there doesn't have to be an announcement day for which bubble teams got to get in and what seed everyone got. I am comfortable with the fact that these bubble teams are near .500 and not undefeated.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

Have you seen TCUs schedule? Oregon state and Utah are the two best teams they played. And utah lost by a ton to Notre Dame the week after the TCU game.

Be honest with me now. Do you think they go undefeated in the SEC, Big 10, Pac-10, or Big 12? They certainly didnt show it through thier weak schedule.
                              Hell no, they wouldn't go undefeated in any of those conferences, but the same can be said about all but 2 teams playing right now, but that isn't the point. I definitely consider them a top 8 team in the country, or I should say, worth giving a shot in an 8 team playoff.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
                                I just thought it was funny that K-Stat would offer a Vince Lombardi platitude to buttress his argument. Famous Sayings Attributed to Vince Lombardi <> Building Blocks of a Logical Debate.
                                oh no I thought it was funny as well..
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X