No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's an osmosis sort of rule, and it should always be employed because it's more about breaking down barriers than influencing any one particular hire. People who don't think about it deeply say, "Why should they have to interview someone else if they already know their candidate?" The answer is because of who makes up NFL front offices--ex players, who know the guys they hung with. If it's a permanently closed circle where you're always hiring the guys you hung with or guys you believe to be like them, you never actually talk to people outside of that tribe. The NFL is making teams at least talk to black candidates--after all, the League is like 66% black--so they can actually hear what those guys have to say and their perspectives, and hopefully break down prejudices. Our own front office is Exhibit A, and the number of both black coaches and GMs has increased significantly since inception of the Rooney Rule. It was just a question of getting GMs to think outside their own little boxes.
    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• Bill Martin admits that the U-M is a house divided.

Bill Martin landed a hot coach who seemed like a good guy, too. He turned out to be a poor fit for college football's winningest program.

About the only thing that would have been more perfect (if in poor judgment) is if Martin had been willing to name names.

Comment

• Bill Martin admits that the U-M is a house divided.

Bill Martin landed a hot coach who seemed like a good guy, too. He turned out to be a poor fit for college football's winningest program.

About the only thing that would have been more perfect (if in poor judgment) is if Martin had been willing to name names.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger
          Whew. I thought you meant "Michigan." Hey, I know it'll never happen, but how about Dungy at Michigan? He's from Jackson, after all.
          Jackson native and former NFL head coach Tony Dungy spent time on "The Dan Patrick Show" on Friday, and laughed hard when he was asked about the head football coaching opening at Michigan.
          Patrick and Dungy, now an NFL analyst, had a long conversation about the NFL and briefly touched on Michigan's opening.
          Patrick: Did Michigan call you about their job?
          Dungy: They did not. (laughing) And I’m kind of glad. I grew up about 20 miles from there. And my dad is a big, big Michigan man. But I’m glad they didn’t call me.
          Patrick: But what if they do call?
          Dungy: If they call, I would have some recommendations for them of other guys that would do a great job for them. (more laughing)
          Later, Patrick asked Dungy about the Stanford opening and the Miami Dolphins opening. Dungy responded, "I'm done coaching, Dan."

Comment

• Originally posted by TK0001 View Post
            My prediction is the next coach will be Jim Harbaugh. Fuck it.
            Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

DON'T SLEEP ON THE WOLVERINES!

Comment

• We're going to have to start calling him Hamlet Harbaugh. To Blue or not to Blue, that is the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
                We're going to have to start calling him Hamlet Harbaugh. To Blue or not to Blue, that is the question.
                And the answer is "not to blue"

Thought this was interesting...

"Texas Christian coach Gary Patterson, thought to be among the potential candidates to take over Michigan's football program, was asked Thursday by a Dallas-Ft. Worth radio station about the Michigan job. "No, I haven't been contacted," Patterson told 105.3-The Fan. "I've got a great job here.
                "TCU has a chance to be maybe the No. 2 or No. 1 team (next season), depending on what poll, in the nation. Maybe we are one of those people (elite programs) now. That's what I've been trying to build the program to get to. Michigan has a great tradition and is a great university. I'll cross that bridge when I get there."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110106/SPORTS0201/101060468/Reports--Hoke-hasn’t-signed-extension--U-M-interested-in-Northwestern-coach#ixzz1ANOIFC3r"

Why the hell hasn't he been contacted, he at least seems willing to entertain the idea. Plus I bet he hates OSU a bit after that AD stuff. Just a thought.
                Last edited by LionsWolverines; January 7, 2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Too bad. "Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                    Bill Martin admits that the U-M is a house divided.

I guess my response to this is,"So What"?

Once he was hired, it didn't matter who wanted him and who didn't. He had the job, all he had to do to keep it was do it well.

The division may have helped get him fired, but I think that was more a result of his performance on and off of the field.

The "house divided" may make the next hire more difficult, but I doubt it. Hell, there are alums and boosters that want Sabin fired in Alabama, Miles fired at LSU and just about every coach at every university with a football program fired.

It's not a big deal.
                    Last edited by CGVT; January 7, 2011, 01:50 PM.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Has Brandon even talked to ANYBODY at this point?

Comment

• I think this guy is on the short list...

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                          Has Brandon even talked to ANYBODY at this point?

Comment

• And he'll bring his assistants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                              Has Brandon even talked to ANYBODY at this point?
                              He isn't saying.

You will probably hear something when the selected individual is on his way into town to sign the contract.
                              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Harbaugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X