No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You would have Americans who don't agree with the party that controls government stop paying taxes too?

I guess I don't follow the logic. As far as I can tell, if you are unsatisifed you can expess that satisfaction with the party in control at the voting booth. By writing your representative. Its not an analagous situation.

Comment

• You are asking fans of successful teams to make the decision not to participate in the current system.
      Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Tell me then, how do you think its going to change? What year do you envision this change happening? I don't see it.

Help me see it Deano.

Comment

• So, I take it that you've already written the spartie A.D., Froot.

Comment

• I think we will have a 2 (the plus-one) or 4-team playoff in the new system in two years.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
              So, I take it that you've already written the spartie A.D., Froot.
              Where did I say I want a playoff? I'm decidedly ambivalent on it and have been for years. If you are keen on watching the bowls and supporting college football, you are endorsing the BCS. Just acknowledge it and dispense with the "Can't we all agree there needs to be a playoff?" sentiment. Everyone wants world peace as well.

pANDs

That 4 team playoff within the next two years is a hoot. Thats been forecast for the last 10 years with no movement.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                Its not sour grapes, its the truth. In what scenario do you see a playoff system come around? Here's the answer, when people stop paying attention and paying money. Thats the only real scenario where this transformation takes place.

Demanding that fans whose teams that are in BCS bowls not buy the shirts and hats and go to games and watch the bowl games on TV is ridiculous.

I'm not demanding anything. You guys are having reading comprehension issues. I'm saying you should drop fake, phony " Can't we all agree there should be a playoff?" statement. Because you don't really mean it and you shouldn't. As a Michigan and Alabama fan you are getting extra benefits, its good to be you!!! Acknowledge your good fortune!!!!

It has nothing to do with MSU being left out. They are ranked 17th, they have three losses. There has never been a time in college football in which that resume would get an at large berth in the Sugar Bowl. Yeah it stinks that Michigan is going and MSU is the much better team, but that bowl game is about where you should expect a 17th ranked team with three losses.

But you won't hear me arguing for a playoff. In fact you've never read me in here arguing for a playoff system. Whats uncomfortable for you is I'm acknowledging the elephant in the room that you don't want to acknowledge. The BCS is great for you, you don't want it to go anywhere. Why would you?
                and there it is!
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Well they are the better team. They proved it on the field the last 4 years.

Comment

• Your chip is showing
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Thats your default post when intellectually you cannot sustain an argument to refute what I am saying.

Comment

• Whatever you say. Classic Sparty chip.
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Again, you can't refute what I say so you mimic WhoDean.

Comment

• If this was some argument borne out of spite because of a Spartan chip, it makes no sense that I would dredge up Southern Hypocrite quotes from 2006. I was arguing for Michigan in the national championship game then. The thing is you guys love the BCS a lot more than you want to admit. Saying you want a playoff at the moment is phony, meaningless lip service. Dispense with this kabuki charade that you actually want a playoff.

Comment

• Who the hell is rationalizing anything? Michigan is going to the BcS over a bunch of other schools because Michigan is a more popular program and is a bigger draw for the bowl game that most of the other programs. Outside of qualifying for selection, the bowls don't give a rat's ass about how good the football team actually is. If the team is qualified for selection, they are good enough.

MSU isn't going to a BcS bowl because THEY DIDN'T QUALIFY. MSU didn't finish high enough in the standings. That isn't Michigan's fault. Did MSU get punished for losing the Big Ten Title game? Yep, they sure did, just like almost every team that loses a conference championship game does. This is nothing new and has been happening since the inception of the system.

Your claim that somehow fans can cause the system to change is laughable. Fan polls have shown for over a decade that fans overwhelmingly want a playoff over the current system. But do you really expect LSU and Alabama fans to boycott the BcS title bowl because the system is stupid? Do you really think you could ever get that to happen?

Any change to the system is going to have to start from the conference commissioner level, and likely will be driven by BcS school Athletic Directors. But I could write Dave Brandon 10 million emails about how stupid the BcS is and all it would accomplish is that I'd likely get a restraining order filed against me.

Fans are never going to get the system changed. The system will only change when the conferences decide they want a different system, or if the government gets involved on the behalf of the schools getting excluded from the system.

Comment

• There is a bias and everyone admits it. It's not huge but it helps when things are close.

Anyone disagree? It's not really a big deal.

Playoffs would be better IMO but not just because of this but also the whole SEC championship and countless past atrocities to the spirit of fairplay and countless future ones on the way with the BCS system.
                                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

Working...
                                X