No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The back-up QB is always the most popular guy...unless he's crap.

Denard deserves to start if he can play at full capacity. Just have Gardner at the ready.

I think Gardner will still start the next game unless DR is 100%. They need to make sure the nerve damage isn't an issue.

Comment

• Gardner is the QB of next season. Debated us the QB of now. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        Gardner did settle in today. It makes you wonder why Hoke had him at wideout in the first place.

The thinking was that we needed a big WR out there to get jump balls and needed to find a way to get Gardner on the field.

I think if they'd known that Funchess could be as good as he's been (and he's still under-utilized, IMO) then they wouldn't have gone that route.

I also think that since Bellomy had a good spring, they thought he would be a capable back-up. That was exposed last week. He never really looked good in mop-up duty either, so maybe they should've given Gardner more snaps in recent weeks.

It looks like a bad plan in hindsight.

Too bad Tater couldn't accept being a role player. He would have been very useful as insurance.
        Last edited by *JD*; November 3, 2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• My take on Gardner today - Has an unorthodox delivery, but plenty of arm strength - hence that great TD to Drew Dileo. And is a very well known as a dangerous runner, although unlike smaller DR takes those long strides.

Comment

• Gardner gained a lot of confidence today. That said, the gophers are pretty bad.
            Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
              The thinking was that we needed a big WR out there to get jump balls and needed to find a way to get Gardner on the field.

I think if they'd known that Funchess could be as good as he's been (and he's still under-utilized, IMO) then they wouldn't have gone that route.

I also think that since Bellomy had a good spring, they thought he would be a capable back-up. That was exposed last week. He never really looked good in mop-up duty either, so maybe they should've given Gardner more snaps in recent weeks.

It looks like a bad plan in hindsight.

Too bad Tater couldn't accept being a role player. He would have been very useful as insurance.
              In all situations your second best QB should be the backup and thats it. Don't try to find ways to get him on the field in other positions. You need a backup, especially with Robinson, the way he plays he's much more likely to get hurt.

Comment

• i can't wait for basketball to start
                i can't wait for basketball to be over
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Gardner has been easily the best outside reciever this year. So it wasn't a terrible plan IMO.
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

In all situations your second best QB should be the backup and thats it. Don't try to find ways to get him on the field in other positions. You need a backup, especially with Robinson, the way he plays he's much more likely to get hurt.
                    Yeah this is truth. Looking back, Hoke messed up there, in that particular situation. He probably would admit it too.
                    Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                      Gardner has been easily the best outside reciever this year. So it wasn't a terrible plan IMO.
                      It would have been possible to have Gardner prep for at both WR and backup QB. At a cost of reps at both positions but probably the best route to go with 20/20 hindsight.

Comment

• And let's not forget, times that Gardner has gotten action in games and even in spring games he hasn't looked exactly......good. It was probably one of those things where they competed similarly in practice, so the thought of moving Gardner to WR which is a huge upgrade and keeping Bellomy as a backup wasn't so bad. It's easy for the armchair guys to come out now and say that, but they weren't at practice.

Comment

• I agree it was an easy thing to do. But ultimately wrong. I wouldn't worry about Hokes decision making based on that situation though.

Comment

Fair enough. I don't know if it was Borges or Hoke who had the idea. Gardner has been pretty good at WR, although he's had some big drops.

I think with Funchess emerging as a reliable, big, target makes it more plausible to just keep Gardner as a QB for the rest of the season, or at least get him 2nd string reps in practice.

Comment

• A nice start for the Wolverines. 100-62 over Slippery Rock. TIMMAY led the way with 25 points, 10 rebounds and 3 assists.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                                Fair enough. I don't know if it was Borges or Hoke who had the idea. Gardner has been pretty good at WR, although he's had some big drops.

I think with Funchess emerging as a reliable, big, target makes it more plausible to just keep Gardner as a QB for the rest of the season, or at least get him 2nd string reps in practice.

I always thought Gardner would be a better passer then Shoelace, not sure either would ever be NFL starters at the position. Gardner looks good at WR i think he will get better the more he plays. :-)
                                Life of a Lions fan, hope and shattered dreams !!! 8-)

Comment

Working...
                                X