No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still think they have to get rid of Hoke.

Comment

• Michigan hires OC Nussmeier away from Alabama
      January 8, 2014 9:46 pm ET

Doug Nussmeier will be among the five highest-paid coordinators in college football. (USATSI)
      Doug Nussmeier will be among the five highest-paid coordinators in college football. (USATSI)
      Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will become the new Michigan offensive coordinator, a source told CBS Wednesday. The move was driven by a strong recruiting effort by coach Brady Hoke and Wolverines AD Dave Brandon that included a robust financial commitment to Nussmeier, who now will be among the five highest-paid coordinators in college football, according to the source.

MICHIGAN MOVES
      Michigan dismisses offensive coordinator Al Borges
      The 43-year-old Nussmeier replaces Al Borges, who spent three seasons at Michigan, where the offense has backslide statistically in each of those seasons, going from No. 42 to No. 78 down to No. 87 this season. Wolverine fans will hope that Nussmeier can make as fast an impact in Ann Arbor as he did in Tuscaloosa. Under Nussmeier's guidance, Bama set records for offensive touchdowns scored (68), total points (542), total offense (6,237) and passing touchdowns (31) in the 2012 season--his first with the Crimson Tide. Despite a rebuilt offensive line, Bama ranked No. 6 in the nation this season in yards per play (7.15) and were ranked third in the nation in that stat in games against ranked opponents (7.59).

While some might see this as a lateral move, going from one powerhouse to another, it's not a stretch to see the upside in the move for the Oregon native, especially for what it could do for his stock as a potential head coach. The Wolverines, 7-6 in Hoke's third season, ranked just No. 87 in total offense, No. 67 in scoring and No. 102 in rushing in 2013. However, Devin Gardner, who sat out Michigan's 31-14 bowl loss to Kansas State in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl with an injury, returns for 2014 along with a lot of young talent including dynamic sophomore TE Devin Funchess. Nussmeier also has some Big Ten roots, having spent three seasons at Michigan State as the Spartans QB coach.

Prior to coaching at Alabama, Nussmeier ran the offense at Washington and established himself as one of the sharpest offensive coordinators in the country. In 2011, even though UW had to replace a first-round pick at quarterback (Jake Locker), Nussmeier's offense scored 57 touchdowns and 434 points, the second-highest totals in school history (behind only the Huskies' 1991 national championship team). And in his three seasons at UW, his offenses got statistically better each year.

A former NFL QB, Nussmeier also has earned a reputation as one of the country's best developers of quarterbacks. Among his proteges: Bama's AJ McCarron, Washington's Jake Locker and Keith Price and Michigan State's Drew Stanton and Jeff Smoker. Nussmeier also coached QBs for the St. Louis Rams in 2006-07 and helped Marc Bulger, a former sixth-round pick, make it to a Pro Bowl.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• He bought himself more time with that hire.

Also respect a guy confident enough to hire a subordinate talented enough to replace him if things go bad.
        Last edited by Kstat; January 8, 2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Alabama OC Doug Nussmeier has accepted the same position at U-M and will be among college football’s five highest-paid coordinators. And Doug Nussmeier reportedly will wear TWO headsets at Michigan.Was a John L. Smith guy - AND Yes I DO like that!

Comment

• Nussmeier also has earned a reputation as one of the country's best developers of quarterbacks. Among his proteges: Bama's AJ McCarron, Washington's Jake Locker and Keith Price and Michigan State's Drew Stanton and Jeff Smoker. Nussmeier also coached QBs for the St. Louis Rams in 2006-07 and helped Marc Bulger, a former sixth-round pick, make it to a Pro Bowl.

Nussmeier can make as fast an impact in Ann Arbor as he did in Tuscaloosa.
            Odds already being place that the young (43) Nussmeier will replace Hoke within 2 years.

Comment

• Kirk Herbstreit - Michigan hire is a HOME RUN! lmaof STFU !!

Comment

• Not sure you could find a more proven college OC than this guy. Could be an extremely important hire for UofM.

I'm still not a Mattison believer though. I wonder if he'll get axed as quickly if the defense doesn't look any better next year.
                Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• any chance this guy will be allowed to moonlight in Allen Park
                  The only logical explanation is:
                  I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• I like the hire. ... But if he has success, I can see him being hired as a head coach for some crap program (like Virginia or Rutgers, etc). If he doesn't have success, won't that most likely lead to Hoke and everyone being let go?

I predict he won't be at U of M that long.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                      $$$$$

Great hire
                      Borges was actually making more than Nussmeier.
                      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Michigan hires OC Nussmeier away from Alabama
                        January 8, 2014 9:46 pm ET

Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will become the new Michigan offensive coordinator, a source told CBS Wednesday. The move was driven by a strong recruiting effort by coach Brady Hoke and Wolverines AD Dave Brandon that included a robust financial commitment to Nussmeier, who now will be among the five highest-paid coordinators in college football, according to the source.
                        Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                        Hmmmmm.

This article leads me to believe that Nussmeier will be among the five highest paid coordinators in college football.

Are you saying they are saving money with this hire?
                        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                          When Borges was at Michigan and Nussmeier was at Bama.

Comment

• The report is Nuss will be making about 800k at mich. Last year he made 590 and Borges made 650.
                            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                              I feel bad for Al. You can't say he ever really had "his" type of offense in his 3 years at Michigan.

Not that he was any good, but he didn't get much of a chance.
                              You lost me at... "I feel bad for Al"
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I love the Austin Hatch story, so happy he made a comeback.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X