Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
    Went to see Northman yesterday.

I loved it. It had flaws for sure but I didn't care. Its a worthwhile movie experience for the visuals and the exploration of Viking culture alone. If you like your movies to explore themes, this has it: fate versus choice, masculine vs feminine in desperate times, the role of religion and rituals.

If this sounds at all interesting .. please see it in the theater. We need more movies like this.
    From a plot line though - this isn't all that different than Conan the Barbarian.
    Boy sees father butchered.
    Boy seeks vengeance.
    Boy goes through tribulations until reaching manhood.
    Boy still seeks vengeance.
    Boy gets his vengeance in the end.

Only real difference is who he keeps around him - and the mythos that surrounds Conan - and well Arnold......

Comment

• Conan was made 40 years ago. It's OK to use the same type of plot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

From a plot line though - this isn't all that different than Conan the Barbarian.
        And Hamlet. And Lion King.

Supposedly they all originated from a Viking folk tale.

But, yeah, the story is not unique.

Comment

• There’s only so much movies can do unless the bad guys start winning a few. If Scar ruled the kingdom in Lion King it would have been a pretty depressing movie
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• My son wanted to go see this when he visited this past weekend, but man, there is so much Viking shit on streaming platforms right now that I passed. They are all pretty much the same story, but are usually an entertaining watch.

I 'll wait for this one to hit the streaming platforms.

BTW, if you want to have some fun with the Viking genre, I highly recommend this one (on Netflix). A tongue in cheek, Viking comedy/parody.

I binged it in a weekend a while ago and may watch it again. Worth the time

Storyline

Edit
            Set in 790AD, Vikingane features the daily challenges of people living in a small Viking village, from power struggle, brother rivalry, gender equality, to betrayal and friendship. "It's the story of people from our time, but living during the Viking era. Of course everyday choices have far more dramatic consequences and that makes for great comedy material

​​​​​​https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5905354/
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• With this plethora of TV choices there has to be a spot for a series based on A Knight's Tale. It doesn't have to be a remake of the movie but it would be great.

Comment

• I wasn't even looking at Northman but it got great reviews.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• To everyone in the forum, especially CGVT, May the 4th be with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    To everyone in the forum, especially CGVT, May the 4th be with you.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Speaking of Star Wars… TV series/ Star Wars related:

I’ve heard positive things about “The Northman.”
                      Also, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”… heard that’s incredible.
                      I might have to get to the movie theater more often now. “Dune” is the only movie I’ve been to in a movie theater since Covid began.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Star Wars….I was talking about this with my son the other day. From a franchise perspective….of 9 movies, maybe, 3.5 of those movies can be considered “good”. ….The clone wars cartoon was also very good.

Everything else is trash (including the last 3 movies). The series (plural) have all been terrible…and Disney seems to be running the ship into the ground.

The Fast and The Furious franchise has produced as many quality movies as Star Wars has (and will soon exceed SW in total number of movies).

Discuss

Comment

• Then problem is people want to view them as high brow art, they are just popcorn movies. Enjoy them as such. The whole point of franchises like Star Wars and Indiana Jones was to bring the spirit of the old serials, low brow art. The people who looked at The Last Jedi and had a conniption about the film totally validates CGVT's view. Somehow over the last 30 years a large segment of people took to viewing Coming Book Guy as an aspirational character in the same way white collar stock bros saw Gordon Gekko or Jordan Belfort as heroes.

Disney is utilizing the franchise as it should. People spend money on the films and it drives sucscriptions to Disney+. Buying Lucasfilm at 4 billion was a tremendous bargain. Gotta provide content. I'll say this, those movies are a lot better use of time than the time wasted on a 4 month draft buildup. I will ride with Jar Jar Binks over the extremely hokey, three day draft coverage. That is TV at it's worst.

Comment

• "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Disagree Froot & CG…….. Star Wars is a true story. Based on Facts. Says so at the start……., “A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away”

But then Disney came along with made up shit and ruined it.
                              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Skywalker: “Those bastards at the chinese forgot the chopsticks AGAIN with the delivery!”
                                Kenobi: “Use the forks, Luke.”

(say kenobi part in authentic voice)
                                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

Working...
                                X