New Members - Welcome! Check in here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't believe I left that one out.
    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• LFIJ, does any of this ring true?

In a previous article I outlined the basics of teaching English in Japan: how to find a job, how much you’ll make, what’s expected of you, and so on. So, you’ve found a job, you’ve…
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
        Hello everybody. I have been reading forums for a long time. I think I may have had an account when Harrington was qb. I had to vent because I couldn't stand the guy. I have been all in with the Stafford pick after his first game against thw Saints in 09. But now i am seeing simmialiar quotes from Stafford that ha sme discouraged. Anyway, I live in Seattle area at the moment, may be moving back to Detroit area in year or 2.

Sorry my man, only one of us is allowed.
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
          Just glanced through it, and yes it does. I'll try to read through the whole thing later.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
            Just glanced through it, and yes it does. I'll try to read through the whole thing later.
            "Leave your fan on overnight and you will die"? Huh?

Comment

• Japan covers about the same size as the state of Montana, but, with no offence to Montanans, packs a lot more punch in that area.
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
                "Leave your fan on overnight and you will die"? Huh?
                Probably talking about kerosene heaters.

7. Kerosene heater - 石油ヒーター (せきゆ, sekiyu means oil/kerosene)

Now, with kerosene heaters you can expect the electricity bill to be very low, though you will have to buy the kerosene. The nice thing is that kerosene is typically quite cheap, especially when compared to electricity, and kerosene heaters are commonly used throughout Japan. Personally, I worry too much about the nasty chemicals so I choose not to use them, but plenty of people do use them. If you also choose to use one, be SURE to allow air circulation in your home, such as opening a window. I know, this sounds like defeating the purpose of heating your home, and I would agree, but you don't want to die from carbon monoxide poisoning or anything.

*Note: the word for kerosene is 灯油 (とうゆ, touyu), rather than 石油, but the gas heaters all use 石油 in the name. *Also, some heaters are actually called Gas heaters (ガスヒーター) and appear to use the same gas that typical gas stoves use.
                From this page: http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2010/...-in-japan.html

Comment

• That makes sense, thanks.

Comment

• No problem. Like the guy in that article said, having to open a window to use them seems to defeat the purpose.

I've never used them as I really dislike the smell. The kotatsu tables they talk about are nice, but I usually just have the wall-mounted electric heater running. I looked into doing central heating when we built the house, but it was prohibitively expensive and no one had experience installing it anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                      No problem. Like the guy in that article said, having to open a window to use them seems to defeat the purpose.

I've never used them as I really dislike the smell. The kotatsu tables they talk about are nice, but I usually just have the wall-mounted electric heater running. I looked into doing central heating when we built the house, but it was prohibitively expensive and no one had experience installing it anyways.
                      If I was blessed with more cash in my bank account, I would've flown over there and installed that central heating at the "new build" stage for you. I loved that thread. My brother and my dad loved it more!
                      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Maybe one of us will win the lottery and we could do a remodel thread. :D

I just hope Kay posts more pictures soon once she's recovered from yesterday's fright.

Comment

• I had to look up "kotatsu table". That is used to keep you warm while you are dining?

Comment

• I think it's what people used traditionally to keep warm in the winter. They would gather in one room and sit around the kotatsu table. A lot of older people you talk to here have very fond memories of sitting around the table with their families in the winter.

With all of the other heating options available now, they're not as necessary. We have one at home, and Kimiko likes to sit at it while she's on her computer.

Comment

• Interesting. So then, for sleeping, they would go to a cold bedroom and jump under a pile of blankets? Or would they just sleep under the blankets at the table?

Comment

• Sleep under a pile of blankets. Nowadays a lot of people have electric carpets or just use their wall-mounted units all night.

Comment

Working...
                                X