No announcement yet.

Forumites and their Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From a shelter, eh? I am sure that's a nice fuzzy feeling you get from rescuing a life from certain doom...until...

You wake up, your slippers are gone, car keys missing, countless bottles of Old English strewn across your daughter's bedroom floor, there is a poorly spelled death threat written in lipstick on your bathroom mirror, your wife is suddenly 10 1/2 weeks pregnant, clump of burnt hair smoldering on your pillow case, turds (either large dog or small human) in your toaster, the mailman is found gagged and rocking in the fetal position on your lawn, your homemade salad dressing fetish video is released company wide, your 401k was transferred to a save Kwame fund, and the dog is nowhere to be found.

You can take the dog from the pound but you can't take the pound from the dog. Good luck and don't fall asleep with that convicted menace in your home.
    Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Congrats on the new addition. Those are cute dogs

LOL Trick

Sparky is doing well. Ben is starting to lose interest in the dog but maintaining calm, positive energy I am letting Ben know that I am the Alpha Dog and the Pack Leader and he must submit to my wishes.

Sparky is also listening much better than Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
        Congrats on the new addition. Those are cute dogs

LOL Trick

Sparky is doing well. Ben is starting to lose interest in the dog but maintaining calm, positive energy I am letting Ben know that I am the Alpha Dog and the Pack Leader and he must submit to my wishes.

Sparky is also listening much better than Ben
        No surprise.

Every day, Ben must be responsible for filling up the water dish (actually at least twice a day) an putting food in his dish.

It should be noted that by responsible, he should be either witnessing Dad doing it, or actually doing it himself. I guarantee there will be times he refuses to do it but, making him watch you do it because our housemate needs it, does sink it. Mostly sooner rather than later.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickalicious View Post
          From a shelter, eh? I am sure that's a nice fuzzy feeling you get from rescuing a life from certain doom...until...

You wake up, your slippers are gone, car keys missing, countless bottles of Old English strewn across your daughter's bedroom floor, there is a poorly spelled death threat written in lipstick on your bathroom mirror, your wife is suddenly 10 1/2 weeks pregnant, clump of burnt hair smoldering on your pillow case, turds (either large dog or small human) in your toaster, the mailman is found gagged and rocking in the fetal position on your lawn, your homemade salad dressing fetish video is released company wide, your 401k was transferred to a save Kwame fund, and the dog is nowhere to be found.

You can take the dog from the pound but you can't take the pound from the dog. Good luck and don't fall asleep with that convicted menace in your home.
          Only Trickalicious post I ever did not like. I understand the humor intended (That Bill Burr bit had me laughing my @$$ off), but honestly that is not my experience. Still waiting for the first time my adopted dog does anything worse than eat the cat turds. Not even seen the first "accident" in these four years. My rescued dog is beyond a good boy, and I am not going to say anything bad about my first (and non-rescued, who I took from his mother) dog - but I guess I just did. He was strong-willed is all. But my rescued dog is the best behaved dog I have ever encountered. And I doubt he is the exception to the rule.
          Last edited by dpatnod; July 12, 2014, 09:41 PM.
          Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Actually, to tell you the truth, I wish my rescued dog would steal my slippers......, or chase a ball or look at a chew toy with something more than a complete lack of interest or something. But he did not get to learn play, or to be a puppy in his first years. He is now just the most max chill, non-playing but most affectionate creature in the room making sure everyone knows that he is your buddy, and you are the boss, and hey - do you have any food?

My first dog actually pulled agreat joke on me when he was 9 months old that had me going "wow, props bro - you got me on that one. Smart bastard.". My rescue has no interest in mischief.
            Lions Fans.

Comment

• Also.....

Who told you about the sald dressing?
              Lions Fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                No surprise.

Every day, Ben must be responsible for filling up the water dish (actually at least twice a day) an putting food in his dish.

It should be noted that by responsible, he should be either witnessing Dad doing it, or actually doing it himself. I guarantee there will be times he refuses to do it but, making him watch you do it because our housemate needs it, does sink it. Mostly sooner rather than later.
                He does all of that plus locates & removes the "landmines" daily!

When he starts complaining I remind him that when I was his age I was doing chores 2x daily of the farm, which had cows, horses, pigs, chickens a dog & a cat. This included feeding & watering & cleaning out the barns/sty/coop on weekends.

He is also reminded that Michigan has WINTERS which means doing chores is twice as hard & miserable as a California summer!

Comment

• Beautiful and sad:

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• Ugh!

Breaks my heart.

Took me back to 10 years ago when I had to put down two beloved pets within a 9 month span.

Still hurts.

Comment

• I saw the title and clicked Back. Too painful!
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Tony, I understand. I normally avoid such sad stories but I thought the celebration they had with him was wonderful.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Mark, it sure does. I still miss Sonny so much, too.

On a positive note, the 10 year old Golden retriever I rescued three years ago (but was afraid to, due to her age) just turned 13. Reba really rescued ME.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• ....as Lola did for me.

Not a day goes by she does not put a smile on my face and has turned into such a great pet words can not express.

Wish she was a bit less independent minded so I could walk her without a leash but, still, 4 years later, she has to be leashed to be out otherwise she is off for a romp.

Comment

• Very poignant. Tuesdays With Morrie for the dog world.

Comment

• I couldn't make it through. It reminded me too much of Shadow. Love mo' Shad!
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X