Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Work Out Sylvester Williams

October 1st, 2020 at 2:47pm CST by Zach Links

Timmy Jernigan wasn’t the only defensive tackle to meet with the Broncos this week. The club also auditioned five other interior linemen, including former first round pick Sylvester Williams, per the league’s official record. Darius Kilgo, David Moa, Brian Price, and Niles Scott also took part in the audition.

[RELATED: Broncos To Sign Timmy Jernigan]

Williams, 31, has not lived up to his billing as the No. 28 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Still, he’s been mostly employed for the last seven seasons. Williams has played for the Titans, Lions, and Dolphins, and Chargers since leaving the Broncos. The Saints rostered him briefly last summer.

The 330-pound veteran appeared in five games for the Bolts last year, but wasn’t first-string for any of those appearances. The bulk of his 63 career starts came with the Broncos, followed by eleven starts with the Titans in 2017. He might not be a world-beater, but he does come with ample experience, including two Super Bowl starts.

It’s not immediately clear whether the Broncos are still in the market for a defensive tackle or nose tackle after signing Jernigan. But, at minimum, they should have a couple of candidates on their emergency list, which is pretty key given their rash of injuries this year.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Sean McVay didn’t get into the “he-said, she-said” with Jalen Ramsey

Posted by Josh Alper on October 6, 2020, 6:52 AM EDT

Getty Images

Giants head coach Joe Judge said on Monday that the Giants will not discipline wide receiver Golden Tate for Sunday’s postgame fight with Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey and that Tate was defending himself after Ramsey threw the first punch.

The two players have a history of bad blood stemming from the end of Ramsey’s relationship with Tate’s sister. They have two children together and Tate has publicly shared his bad feelings about the way Ramsey handled the end of their time together.

Rams head coach Sean McVay said on Monday that he’s spoken to Ramsey since the fight and said that he can’t allow circumstances that lead to “something bad happening for you or for our football team.”

“I didn’t get into the, ‘He said, she said,'” McVay said, via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. “It was really more along the lines of ‘Let’s be smart. Let’s make sure we don’t let this take away from what we just were able to accomplish as a team.'”

McVay said any team response to Ramsey’s actions would be handled internally and that he hasn’t heard anything from the league regarding discipline.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Nah, we can't use him...

Report: Damon Harrison set to visit Seahawks, Packers this week

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on October 6, 2020, 12:46 AM EDT

Getty Images

Free agent defensive tackle Damon Harrison is set to visit the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers in the coming days.

According to Josina Anderson, the former Detroit Lions defender said he’s visiting Seattle on Tuesday with a scheduled trip to the Packers on Wednesday.

Harrison is primarily a run stopping defensive tackle and the Seahawks currently rank third in the league in rush defense. They’ve allowed an average of 75.8 rushing yards per game and just 3.4 yards per carry through the first four weeks of the year. Jarran Reed, Poona Ford, Bryan Mone and Anthony Rush have done a good job clogging up the interior at tackle for the team so far. However, they are lacking impact from a pass rush standpoint.

Harrison 11.0 career sacks in eight seasons played for the New York Jets, New York Giants and Lions. He’s said he turned offers earlier this year and that he was waiting to join a winning team. Both Seattle and Green Bay are 4-0 and would fit that criteria.

Harrison was released by Detroit in February.

Comment

• EZEKIEL ANSAHDL, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers DL Ziggy Ansah (torn bicep) was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Coach Kyle Shanahan confirmed as much after Ansah exited following 21 snaps on Sunday night. Ansah finishes with just two games with the Niners under his belt, suffering the same fate as Nick Bosa (torn ACL) and numerous others for a San Francisco front-seven that's been ravaged by injuries this year.

SOURCE: San Francisco 49ers on Twitter
          Oct 6, 2020, 9:52 AM

Comment

• ROBERT TONYANTE, GREEN BAY PACKERS

Robert Tonyan caught all six of his targets for 98 yards and three touchdowns in the Packers' Week 4 win over the Falcons.

The third-year former small-school college wideout entered 2020 with a career 14-177-2 line, but Tonyan has completely taken over No. 1 tight end duties in Green Bay and had his coming out party in this one. Tonyan worked out with George Kittle in the offseason and has taken advantage of his opportunity in an offense starved for pass-catching playmakers. Tonyan has scored five touchdowns over his last three contests while playing over 60% of the snaps every week. Tonyan caught 19- and 8-yard touchdowns in the second quarter Monday before scoring again from 21 yards out in the second half. Tonyan has thrown himself right into the TE1 mix with his performance through four weeks. He gets the Bucs on the road in Week 6 after the Packers' bye.

Oct 5, 2020, 11:57 PM

Comment

• LOS ANGELES RAMS1 dJalen Ramsey waited for Golden Tate outside locker room

by Scott Rogust
              After the two threw hands following the New York Giants-Los Angeles Rams game, Jalen Ramsey wanted Round 2 with Golden Tate. No one imagined that...

Comment

• Lions Starter = SEA Practice Squad player

Seahawks adding Damon Harrison to practice squad

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 7, 2020, 9:01 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Seahawks picked up a big piece for their defensive line, but they’re going to ease him into things.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Seahawks are signing defensive tackle Damon “Snacks” Harrison to the practice squad.

That gives him some time to get back into game shape, as he’s been out of action since the Lions released him in February.

He talked about retirement, but was obviously talked out of it, and joins a team that has struggled with injuries up front this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                  Lions Starter = SEA Practice Squad player

Seahawks adding Damon Harrison to practice squad

I thought practice squad was only an option for the first 2 or 3 years of a players career. Was there a recent change to practice squad restrictions?

Edit: ok, before someone does a "let me google that for you", here's an article I found that explains it. I am apparently living under a rock ...

Last edited by LightninBoy; October 7, 2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post

I thought practice squad was only an option for the first 2 or 3 years of a players career. Was there a recent change to practice squad restrictions?
                    Yes. Because of the virus I think anyone can be on the practice squad. They also increased the size of the squad and the roster in general.

Comment

Yes. Because of the virus I think anyone can be on the practice squad. They also increased the size of the squad and the roster in general.
                      Can teams poach from another's practice squad right now?
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

EZEKIEL ANSAHDL, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers DL Ziggy Ansah (torn bicep) was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Coach Kyle Shanahan confirmed as much after Ansah exited following 21 snaps on Sunday night. Ansah finishes with just two games with the Niners under his belt, suffering the same fate as Nick Bosa (torn ACL) and numerous others for a San Francisco front-seven that's been ravaged by injuries this year.

SOURCE: San Francisco 49ers on Twitter
                        Oct 6, 2020, 9:52 AM
                        Wow. This guy needs some vitamins or something. Can't stay healthy - AT ALL.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post

Wow. This guy needs some vitamins or something. Can't stay healthy - AT ALL.
                          60 year olds typically aren't in the NFL
                          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post

60 year olds typically aren't in the NFL
                            Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Darius Slay comfortable now with playing season after initially feeling NFL shouldn’t play

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on October 8, 2020, 1:30 AM EDT

Getty Images

When the COVID-19 pandemic was settling in through the spring and into summer, Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Darius Slay did not think that a 2020 NFL seasons should go forward.

My true opinion, I felt like we shouldn’t even have (a season), just because of what was going on,” Slay said, via Reuben Frank of NBC Sports Philadelphia. “It’s a difficult time.

“We shouldn’t have one. But it is what it is. We’ll go to work and get it done. If there’s a way we can play, I’ll go play.”

Despite the initial trepidation surrounding the safety and logistics of the playing an NFL season amid a global pandemic, Slay became more at ease with the protocols the NFL and the Eagles had put in place to try and mitigate the chances of spread.

“I was just basically saying when (COVID) first came out, we shouldn’t have a season,” Slay said. “They came up with a great game plan to have us in the building. Before then I was thinking to myself, ‘How are they going to do this? How are they going to find a way for us to not have this? How are they going to know who has it?’ So now I feel comfortable doing it because of the fact that I’m getting tested every day. Because I have kids so I had to make sure my kids and my wife are all OK.”

The Tennessee Titans have had the biggest issue so far this season with spread as an outbreak within their team forced the postponement of one game already and a scheduled game with the Buffalo Bills this weekend also being in question. The NFL could levy heavy penalties against the team for not following the protocols in place originally and then for a group of players congregating for an impromptu workout last week when they were supposed to be isolating to quell further spread.

Cam Newton and Stephon Gilmore of the New England Patriots have recently had bouts with the virus as well. These positives highlight the challenges the league will have in getting the full 256-game NFL regular slate played in the allotted 17-week time frame.

“It’s not going to be easy,” Slay said. “It’s going to take all of us. … But we all make sacrifices and we made them. I think our staff and our team and the Eagles are doing a great job of just securing us, making sure we’re doing the right thing and I think everybody’s kind of committed to doing their job to make sure we’re able to play Sunday. We’ll continue to keep knocking on wood, we didn’t have a sickness here yet, so we’ll continue to keep trying to find a way.”

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post

Can teams poach from another's practice squad right now?
                                Yes. Teams can now protect 5 of the players from poaching every week.

Comment

Working...
                                X