Tracking former Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused Tom Hanks GIF
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Matthew Stafford feels “reenergized” after move to Los Angeles

Posted by Charean Williams on March 29, 2021, 4:57 PM EDT

Getty Images

In the 12 years after the Lions made Matthew Stafford the No. 1 overall selection, the quarterback called Detroit home. Now, he has a new home, a new team, a new outlook.

Stafford told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Monday that change has “reenergized” him.

“I definitely feel that way. It’s a new experience for my entire family,” Stafford said. “We were so set with our lifestyle in how we kind of went about day-to-day life in Detroit. That has definitely changed. You know if you don’t have energy to move your wife and four kids and a dog and everybody out to California, you’re in a lot of trouble. So it’s definitely reenergized me. I’m excited about the opportunity, not only from a family standpoint but really from a football standpoint. I’m excited about being a part of this Rams organization that’s had so much recent success, and I can’t wait to get the football season going and get all that going, and at the same time, loved our time in Detroit. We’ll miss that city dearly. It was special to both me and my family, especially my wife when she was going through some things. Loved my time in Detroit, but we are excited about the move to Los Angeles.”

The Rams acquired Stafford from the Lions earlier this month for Jared Goff as well as the Rams’ third-round draft selection this year and the Rams’ first-round draft choices in both 2022 and 2023.

NFL offseason rules have prevented Stafford from spending much time with Sean McVay yet, but he can’t wait to talk ball with the Rams coach.

“He’s a young guy. He’s a passionate guy,” Stafford said. “He knows a ton of football and really enjoys talking the game. Obviously, we’re a little bit limited in our ability to get together at the moment, but it’s something that I am really looking forward to. If you look back at his history, the guys that are in my position at the quarterback position, under is coaching, have played at a high level, and I can’t wait to get my opportunity with both him as the head coach and really with the players on this offense. It’s something that’s really intriguing to me and something that I’m just happy to be able to a part of.”

Stafford, 33, earned his only Pro Bowl berth in 2014 but has passed for 45,109 yards with 282 touchdowns and 144 interceptions. The Lions were 0-3 in the postseason with Stafford as the starter.

The Rams played in Super Bowl LIII, losing to the Patriots 13-3.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I have no hate or love for the guy.

You could just see the dead in his eyes the last couple of years.

Comment

• DANNY SHELTONDL, NEW YORK GIANTS

Giants signed DT Danny Shelton, formerly of the Lions, to a one-year contract.

Shelton started all 12 games he appeared in under Matt Patricia during the former's lone season in Detroit, battling a knee injury at the end of the year. He's the fourth Lions player to join the Giants this offseason, linking back up with Kenny Golladay, Reggie Ragland and Kenny Wiggins.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
          Mar 29, 2021, 2:24 PM

Comment

• MOHAMED SANUWR, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
            49ers signed WR Mohamed Sanu, formerly of the Lions, to a one-year contract.

Sanu will return to San Francisco, where he played three games in 2020 before being cut. He managed one nine-yard reception in his brief stint with the Niners before signing with Detroit later in the 2020 season. Sanu, 31, isn't likely to make the team's Week 1 active roster, and would only see playing time if the 49ers once again struggle with wideout injuries. It's been downhill for the veteran since the Patriots unbelievably traded a second round draft pick for Sanu in 2019, only to see him catch 12 passes in six games.

RELATED:
            SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
            Mar 27, 2021, 12:22 PM

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
              DANNY SHELTONDL, NEW YORK GIANTS

Giants signed DT Danny Shelton, formerly of the Lions, to a one-year contract.

Shelton started all 12 games he appeared in under Matt Patricia during the former's lone season in Detroit, battling a knee injury at the end of the year. He's the fourth Lions player to join the Giants this offseason, linking back up with Kenny Golladay, Reggie Ragland and Kenny Wiggins.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
              Mar 29, 2021, 2:24 PM
              Lions East!

Comment

• Would've much rather kept Ragland than Tavai
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Mike Daniels returning to Bengals

Posted by Charean Williams on March 30, 2021, 9:58 PM EDT

Getty Images

Veteran defensive tackle Mike Daniels is returning to the Bengals. He has agreed to terms on a one-year, $2.5 million deal, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports.

Daniels, 31, started 11 games for the Bengals last season after signing a one-year deal worth up to $2.7 million in August.

He made 17 tackles.

Daniels entered the NFL as a fourth-round choice of the Packers in 2012. He spent seven seasons in Green Bay, earning Pro Bowl honors in 2017.

Daniels played 2019 for the Lions.

He has played 122 games with 85 starts and has totaled 252 tackles, 50 tackles for loss, 30 sacks, 71 quarterback hits and an interception.

Comment

• Chiefs signing Michael Burton

Posted by Charean Williams on April 1, 2021, 6:11 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Chiefs are signing free agent fullback Michael Burton to a one-year deal, Herbie Teope of the Kansas City Star reports.

Burton will replace Anthony Sherman, who retired earlier this offseason.

Burton, 29, spent last season with the Saints, playing 15 games with four starts. He saw action on 208 offensive snaps and 132 on special teams.

He had 11 touches for 46 yards in 2020.

Burton entered the league as a fifth-round choice of the Lions in 2015. He spent two seasons in Detroit, two in Chicago, one in Washington and one in New Orleans.

He has played 80 games with 17 starts and has 28 career touches for 110 yards and a touchdown.

Comment

• Ndamukong Suh: Staying in Tampa was always the ultimate goal

Posted by Josh Alper on April 5, 2021, 1:18 PM EDT

Getty Images

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh‘s return to the Buccaneers became official on Monday morning and Suh met the media later in the day to discuss his new pact.

It’s the third straight year that Suh has signed a one-year deal with the Bucs and it took him a little longer to come to an agreement than it took other teammates who became free agents last month. Suh told reporters that he did engage other teams in talks, but that his eyes were always on returning to his role in defensive coordinator Todd Bowles’ defense.

“Tampa was always the ultimate goal. I’m super-comfortable in that city . . . I love playing in Coach Bowles’ defense,” Suh said, via Greg Auman of TheAthletic.com.

In addition to signing his $9 million deal, Suh has also won a Super Bowl and become the father of twins since the start of the new year so it’s little surprise that he said it has “been a great 2021 so far.”

Comment

• I guess he just wanted to get out of Philly

Report: Jim Schwartz will join Titans staff

Posted by Charean Williams on April 6, 2021, 10:08 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Jim Schwartz announced in January he was stepping away from the coaching profession. Two months apparently was long enough.

The former Eagles defensive coordinator is returning to Tennessee.

Brent Dougherty of 104.5 The Zone reports that Schwartz is joining the Titans staff. Schwartz’s official title is to be determined.

Shane Bowen serves the team’s defensive coordinator.

Schwartz spent 10 years with the organization, leaving after the 2008 season to become the Lions head coach. He served eight seasons as the Titans defensive coordinator.

Schwartz, 54, was the Eagles defensive coordinator the past five seasons.

Comment

• Kerry Hyder eager to follow up career year in move to Seahawks

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on April 9, 2021, 12:50 AM EDT

Getty Images

Defensive end Kerry Hyder is hoping to back up a career year with the San Francisco 49ers as he joins a new team in the Seattle Seahawks.

Hyder signed a three-year deal with Seattle that voids after two years after posting 8.5 sacks last year with the 49ers. Hyder had the chance to step up for San Francisco after Nick Bosa was lost to a torn ACL in just the second game of the year last season. Hyder said Thursday that the biggest difference for his production last year was getting the chance to play such a large role last year.

“It’s just the plays, being able to play and not just being a spot duty player, and the coaches trusting in you and allowing you to play I think that’s what helped it,” Hyder said. “I always felt like I could rush and felt like I could play well, I just felt like the right coach had to believe in me and allow me to play.”

Hyder has had two really strong seasons during his six seasons in the NFL. He had eight sacks with the Detroit Lions in 2016 and the 8.5 sacks last season for the 49ers. After his last breakout season, Hyder tore his Achilles the following preseason and missed all of the 2017 year in Detroit. He managed just one sack for the Lions in his return to action in 2018, and only had one the following year during his one season with the Dallas Cowboys.

Last season was Hyder’s first as a regular starter. Even in 2016 in Detroit, he only started two games and was primarily a rotational pass rush option. With the boost in playing time last year, Hyder rose to the occasion.

Hyder said he had been drawn to the Seahawks organization and believed he could fit well in their scheme. He compared his role to that of former Seahawk defensive end Michael Bennett and comes to Seattle from a defense under Robert Saleh that ran very similar schemes to what he’ll find under Pete Carroll in Seattle.

“I embrace the journey. It was a lot of ups and downs, but I prepare for every moment, especially this one,” Hyder said of joining the Seahawks. “I’m so excited to be a part of a group I can add to, I can add leadership, I can add play on the field. Feeling unwanted and someone bringing you in, that’s what I’ve been yearning for.”

Comment

• Kerry Hyder envisions playing the “Michael Bennett role” in Seattle

Posted by Charean Williams on April 8, 2021, 7:01 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Seahawks traded Michael Bennett three years ago. They have yet to replace him.

Kerry Hyder is the latest defensive end to get a chance to fill the role.

“That’s kind of one of the reasons why I was kind of picturing myself in Seattle,’’ Hyder said, via Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times. “I can kind of see myself in that same type of role as Mike.’’

Bennett made 39 sacks with the Seahawks, the seventh-most in team history. The three-time Pro Bowler’s primary job was as the strongside defensive end, but on passing downs, Bennett moved inside to play tackle.

Hyder had a career year with the 49ers last season, making 49 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 10 tackles for loss and 18 quarterback hits. He had 10 total sacks in the previous six seasons.

Hyder also has played for the Jets, Lions and Cowboys, and he and Bennett were teammates in Dallas in 2019.

“That’s the guy I’ve looked up to and kind of modeled my game after,’’ Hyder said. “That’s who I watch — same body type, that kind of thing.’’

Comment

• Texans waive Steven Mitchell, Beau Benzschawel

Posted by Myles Simmons on April 12, 2021, 5:16 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Texans have waived wide receiver Steven Mitchell and offensive lineman Beau Benzschawel, the club announced on Monday.

Mitchell had been with Houston since 2018, when he signed with the club’s practice squad. He appeared in 10 games over the last three seasons, starting two of them. He caught seven passes for 97 yards and also played 19 special teams snaps. He entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Rams.

Benzschawel signed with Houston’s practice squad late in the 2020 season and was elevated to the gameday roster for the club’s season finale against the Titans. He played seven special teams snaps in the matchup. Benzschawel spent most of the 2019 and 2020 seasons on Detroit’s practice squad.

Comment

• Notes: Matt Patricia ‘heavily involved’ with Patriots’ pre-draft process

Zach Galifianakis Reaction GIF
                                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Working...
                                X