Tracking former Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gastoverat View Post
    Pretty bad when you can't even out run some doughnut thief cops in a foot pursuit.
    Ha

He would have stuck out like a sore thumb as the only black guy in the entire surf city known as San Clemente.

Should have tried that in Moreno Valley, he would of had a 50/50 chance at getting away there by blending in.
    Last edited by Panoptes; May 12, 2013, 04:49 PM.
    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Love San Clemente.

Comment

• Epic flameout. in 7 months from NFL playa to busted 3 times in a week.
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• How mentally challenged does one have to be to blow up a promising NFL career, and the money that comes with it, to become a reprobate. I can't even imagine.
          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• DanO, if you get the chance, check out one of the ESPN 30 for 30 shows that was on lately. It talked about how many athletes go bankrupt. I want to say that 74% lose all their money was the stat they threw out.

In TY's case he may very well have some mental issues. I'm not making a diagnosis, I don't want to go all Bill Frist here. But if he does have issues, I hope he can get help for them.

OR

He could just be a thug asshole.
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• cuz being an athlete for a career will last 15-20 years at best, a lot of these dumbass athletes blow all their money within a couple of years.
              They should learn how to save money.

Maybe they should take "real classes" in college. I don't have a statistic for this, but I bet athletes that were Management or Engineering majors are less likely to go bankrupt than OLS majors (like 90% of Purdue's football team).
              I sat in my friends 200 level OLS class one day, the stuff they have to learn is retarded easy.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• According to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 60 percent of former NBA players are broke within five years of retirement. By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress. Sucked into bad investments, stalked by freeloaders, saddled with medical problems, and naturally prone to showing off, many pro athletes get shocked by harsh economic realities after years of living the high life. Drawing surprisingly vulnerable confessions from retired stars like Keith McCants, Bernie Kosar and Andre Rison, as well as Marvin Miller, the former executive director of the MLB Players Association, this fascinating documentary digs into the psychology of men whose competitive nature can carry them to victory on the field and ruin off it.
                Director Billy Corben (The U, Cocaine Cowboys, Limelight) paints a complex picture of the many forces that drain athletes' bank accounts, placing some of the blame on the culture at large while still holding these giants accountable for their own hubris. A story of the dark side of success, "Broke," is an allegory for the financial woes haunting economies and individuals all over the world.

Director's Take

In June 2009, we interviewed quarterback Bernie Kosar for the ESPN 30 for 30, The U. Anyone who knows Bernie will tell you, he's as kind and generous a guy you could ever meet. In fact, he was extremely generous with his time that morning; he talked with us for several hours and, afterwards, took pictures and signed autographs for the crew.
                A few weeks later, Dan LeBatard broke the news: Following a series of bad investments and a costly divorce, Kosar had filed for bankruptcy. It was a shock. Beyond football, Kosar was renowned for his business savvy and known to have been even more financially successful after his decade-long NFL career than during it.
                Personally, it broke my heart. Other than appearing tired at times, there was little or no indication during the hours Bernie spent with us that he was in the midst of this ordeal.
                In the early part of the millennium, you'd occasionally hear about a high profile athlete suffering financial difficulties, but Pablo Torre's article, 'How (and Why) Athletes Go Broke,' in the March 2009 Sports Illustrated, cast a spotlight on what seemed to be an emerging epidemic in the wake of the 2008 economic meltdown.
                These days, it seems there's a new story every week and we felt these stories were worth exploring. Not everyone was so enthusiastic about it, though.
                They say the most uncouth subjects for dinner conversation are politics and religion. I gotta add money to that list. Athletes, a famously proud group, were not particularly anxious to discuss the state of their finances, so getting interviews for this project, not surprisingly, proved to be a challenge. I really admire the people who agreed to speak with us because they sincerely felt like they have something to offer the next generation and hope that others will learn from their experience.
                The way "Broke" is structured, it's not about people, per se, but the problem, told by the people who experience(d) it. It's essentially a step-by-step guide, How To Lose Millions of Dollars Without Breaking a Sweat.
                Conventional wisdom is that professional athletes blow a lot of money on useless crap. Spoiler alert: professional athletes blow a lot of money on useless crap. But that's barely the tip of the iceberg. I was surprised to discover -- and I think others will be, too -- how easy it is to go brok
                Last edited by Tony G; May 12, 2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• "DanO, if you get the chance, check out one of the ESPN 30 for 30 shows that was on lately. It talked about how many athletes go bankrupt. I want to say that 74% lose all their money was the stat they threw out."
                  ------------------------Saw it. It's hard for me to fathom. I understand many of them had no parental guidance on monies and/or had no money. I understand money is a new thing to many of them. What I don't understand is not having the common sense to hire someone to ADVISE them on something they know nothing about. NO, not your brother, or uncle, or friend, or friends girlfriend. Someone who does it professionally and works for a respectable firm.

"In TY's case he may very well have some mental issues."
                  ---------------------------I'm pretty sure he does.
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Titus Young's life spiral continues

May, 12, 2013 May 12
                    5:51
                    PM ET

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

It's hard to know what else to say about Titus Young, the disgraced former Detroit Lions receiver who has taken career flameout -- even for this franchise at that position -- to a new level.

Young

Young's third arrest in less than a week, this time for allegedly breaking into a California home, makes clear that his life has spiraled out of control.

There is no sense debating his future, at least not on a football blog, because his playing career is almost certainly over. And there's no sense criticizing the Lions any further for making Young a second-round draft choice in 2011; they admitted their mistake by releasing him as soon as league rules allowed it this winter.

Really, all you can say or hope is that Young gets himself straightened out, if not for his sake, then for the safety of the people he is encountering in his current state. As for us, how about we move on from further gawking at Young's demise? There's too many other good and interesting stories to draw our attention.

Comment

• This is going back a ways, but I remember seeing an interview about Bo Jackson (might have been in sports illustrated) about how he was doing in life after sports. He was a guy that I thought really had his act together. He lived in the suburbs of Chicago, and lived in a very standard home. He did his own yard work (I think the interview showed up and Bo had a leaf blower in his hand), and he also went back to school and finished his degree.

He was a guy I am really glad did well after his sports career. He understood that his sports career was only go so far (unfortunately for him it was cut short because of injury), and he planned for his future. More athletes should use him as a template. Take those big checks, put them in the bank, live off the interest, and live within your means. You could set up the future generations of your family easily if you just plan ahead some.
                      AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                      2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                      3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                      4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                      5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                      6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                      7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Here is the article, I havent got a chance to go through it again to see how good my memory is, but I am still glad that Bo is one of the ones who made it after football.

AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                        2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                        3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                        4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                        5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                        6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                        7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Bo knows.
                          "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                          Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• 2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Sugar Ray Lenard never spent a dime of earnings - invested it all and is living off the proceeds of a very profitable business.

Comment

• Good thing the Lions cut Titus as their "speed" WR. He couldnt even out run some fat cops!

Comment

Working...
                                X