No announcement yet.

Family Book...Forum Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful, I'd like to see more of England someday. Been to Bath, Castle Combe, Windsor, the-stacked-rocks-in-the-pasture, and London. There is so much more to see. Wales and Scotland would be fun too. . .dang, I'd like that.

Comment

• ""dang" ye say? Whits this "dang" pish yer oan aboot, Sir eh?"

Expect this question when you arrive in Scotland, Bimmer. :-)

Nice picture, Dean
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
        Beautiful, I'd like to see more of England someday. Been to Bath, Castle Combe, Windsor, the-stacked-rocks-in-the-pasture, and London. There is so much more to see. Wales and Scotland would be fun too. . .dang, I'd like that.
        Me too!

I have taken a Bath, been to White Castle, used a Combe, can see Windsor from the stacked-rocks-on-Bell-Isle, and walked across the London Bridge.

I have even been to Ackroyds Scottish Bakery and can see Wales at most of the local beaches.

I agree fun it would be.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Ha! Marko, I'll look you up for lessons on what to do, and what not to do while in Scotland. . .

Wait! check that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
            Me too!

I have taken a Bath, been to White Castle, used a Combe, can see Windsor from the stacked-rocks-on-Bell-Isle, and walked across the London Bridge.

I have even been to Ackroyds Scottish Bakery and can see Wales at most of the local beaches.

I agree fun it would be.
            Holy smokes Malto, you are well traveled!

Comment

• From

Do's and Dont's
              Career Abroad is the ideal guide to facts on work culture abroad. Do's and don'ts on etiquette, work ethics and conversational pleasantries, find them all here.

SCOTLAND
              GREETINGS
              ? Don?t use first names, unless you are asked to
              ? Use last names with appropriate courtesy titles such as ?Mr?, ?Mrs?, ?Ms? or academic or professional title
              ? The term ?doctor? is only used for people with a medical degree
              ? The title Sir is reserved for only those who have been knighted. You have to address the person as Sir and his first name. E.g Robert Andrews is addressed as Sir Robert

PUNCTUALITY ALERTS!
              ? Schedule all your meetings outside the summer months. Summers are the time when many scots go on holiday
              ? Always arrive on time. Scottish business culture does not aprreciate a person being late to a meeting or social gathering

CONVERSATION WITH SCOTS
              ? The Scots are a soft spoken and private people. They tend to welcome people only when they are better acquainted.
              ? They are very proud of their literary tradition, avoid derogatory remarks on any aspect of their culture.
              ? Avoid grouping the Scots with the English, Scots are very proud of their distinctive heritage

Suggested topics of conversation
              ? Weather
              ? Travel in Scotland
              ? Travel through out Europe
              ? Oudoor activities

Recent Sexual encounters
              Avoid topics
              ? Politics
              ? Northern Ireland
              ? Religion

Haggis
              SCOTTISH DRESSING
              ? Darker colours and heavier fabrics tend to prevail
              ? For men, suits with starched shirts and ties are best
              ? Business Women usually wear skirt-suites. However, pant suits are also permissable
              ? Avoid wearing stripe ties of any kind. This is because British "regimental" neckties appear in a variety of striped patterns, each representing a different institution, such as a public school or military unit. Your wearing a tie that resembles a striped regimental pattern could be perceived as a crass affectation
              ? Kilts are considered an important part of Scot heritage

BUSINESS ATTITUDE
              Business cards should be printed in English, the national language. Ensure that you bring a plentiful supply, since Scottish businesspeople are keen to exchange them.

The most senior executives in the majority of Scottish companies are known as ?managing directors? (as distinct from CEO). They are responsible for making final decisions.
              One way of understanding the ?chain of command? is by observing the amount of deference given to others during a meeting. While the managing director will be instrumental in the final decision, carefully watching how the participants treat each other can be very informative.
              Although Scottish women participate in the work force, relatively few are in managerial positions. The most effective ways women business travellers can assure Scotsmen of their competence are by maintaining a professional demeanour, displaying a strong knowledge of their field, and dressing conservatively.
              Refer to things that originate from Scotland as ?Scottish.? Be aware that ?Scotch? is not the correct term to use and may cause offence.
              As with practically any other meeting, it is an asset to bring presentation materials accompanied by visuals such as charts and graphs.
              During your presentation, allow for a ?question and answer? period.
              If the meeting becomes informal at times, it is still important to remain guarded and professional.

Shortly after a meeting, it is a good policy to provide follow-up by sending a summary of the results to your Scottish contacts.

BUSINESS ENTERTAINMENT
              ? Lunch and dinner are usually the preferred times for business entertainment.

? Dinner parties frequently take place in homes, and spouses are usually included on these types of occasions. You should arrive on time, and bring flowers for the hostess. Wine and fine chocolates are also good gifts to give
              ? Business entertaining frequently occurs in restaurants as well. A woman should extend a lunch--rather than a dinner-- invitation to a businessman.
              ? The lounge section of the pub in Scotland is often referred to as the ?saloon? and it is the area where women tend to feel most comfortable. Although women often go to pubs alone in England, they don?t do so as often in Scotland.

?
              Customarily, at a dinner party, the host and hostess will be seated at opposite ends of the table, facing one another. A male guest of honour will be seated to the right of the hostess, whereas a female guest of honour will be placed to the right of the host.

? The traditional Scottish toast?and the one you are most likely to hear during your stay--is ?Shlante,? which means ?To your health.?
              ? Whisky (spelled without an ?e?) is Scotland?s national drink. It is typically served straight or diluted with water. As in many European countries, ice does not usually accompany drinks.
              ? The Scots use the ?continental? style of dining, with the fork kept in the left hand, tines down, and the knife in the right hand at all times.
              ? Be sure to keep your hands above the table at all times.
              ? Food is typically served ?family-style? in Scotland: platters are passed around, allowing you to serve yourself various kinds of food.
              ? One way to indicate that you have had enough to eat--and that the hospitality was more than adequate--is to leave a small amount of food on your plate.
              ? In a restaurant, the proper way to request the bill is to lift your hand and pretend that you are writing on it.
              ? A 10-15% gratuity is usually included in restaurant bills. But if the tip is included in the bill, you may also leave some change. If the gratuity is not included in the bill, a tip of 10-15% is in order.
              ? Tip hotel porters about 25p for each bag handled. Chambermaids should receive 1 pound for each day of your stay.
              Taxi drivers should be tipped 10-15 % of the fare.
              Many of the foods on this list are also ceremonially eaten on New Year?s Eve (referred to as Hogmanay) and Robert Burns?s Night (January 25). The Scottish cuisine
              GESTURES
              ? When in Scotland make an effort to speak in a low, moderate tone of voice. Talking too loudly in public is sometimes considered offensive and embarrassing.

? In conversation, the Scots tend to downplay hand gestures and other physical expressions.
              ? Keep your hands out of your pockets when standing and walking.
              Scots tend to be a ?low-contact? people. Rather than touching or getting too close, it is more appropriate to remain at least one arms? length distance from your Scottish counterpart.

? Scots are usually very respectful when standing in line. Some people around you may even ask you questions, but you should try to limit any ?small talk" to the subject of your immediate surroundings
              GIFT-GIVING
              When you are invited to a dinner party in a private home, you may bring flowers for the hostess. Wine and fine chocolates are also good gift selections on these occasions.
              You do not have to present a business gift until the deal is about to conclude. Wait for the propitious moment.

Appreciated Business Gifts
              ? Desk accessories
              ? A paperweight with your company logo
              ? A coffee table book about your home country or city
              ? A bottle of good whisky

Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• The Scots are a soft spoken and private people.

LMAO! Where?

My God, I must be from the rough as fuck area.
                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• I only added two items to it. I thought about adding several.
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Got to admit......, I don't agree with any of it......., apart from people being late. That genuinely does get on my tits. And the "Scotch" part. Very true.

Comment

• Take it up with the Indians

Comment

• Where exactly is being late for a business meeting appreciated?
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• It's certainly tolerated at my workplace, By the time folks straggle in the meeting is sometimes 10 or 15 minutes in. Then they ask questions about the stuff they missed.

Comment

• So the meetings at your workplace last 10-15 minutes longer than usual because of these late folk? And no one gives a shit?

Comment

• Wow, I'm with Marko. The guys at my work would fly off the handle if someone was late like that.
                              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• It's not surprising that people show up late, but its certainly not appreciated. At least generally.
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X