X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You got it, Marko.
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Perhaps, but we've rarely had a winter like this in my lifetime. One winter in 93 or 94 was like this but not nearly the snow.

They always talk about the Alberta Clipper.

Comment

• I thought the "Alberta Clipper" was the nickname of some Canadian hockey player back in the 70's.
        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I thought it was something made by Braun.
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Nah, you're confusing Joe Dimaggio and hockey.

Comment

• The guy on Channel 7 did a thing about that earlier this week...

Why I won't say 'Polar Vortex' in public
              Posted: 01/20/2014
              • By: Chris Edwards

(WXYZ) - With metro Detroit under another dome of frigid air from the arctic region, some people are tossing out the "polar vortex" label again.

While there's no doubt it's unusually cold even for January around here, images of a frozen, spinning storm aren't helpful and you won't hear me using the term.

The term "polar vortex" is not a media creation. It is, however, meteorological jargon, and doesn't really help explain to the average person why it's so cold. From the Glossary of Meteorology, a polar vortex is: "The planetary-scale cyclonic circulation, centered generally in the polar regions, extending from the middle troposphere to the stratosphere.

The vortex is strongest in winter when the pole-to-equator temperature gradient is strongest." It often has two centers, one near Baffin island and the other over northeast Siberia.

When the record-breaking cold came pouring in from the arctic early this month, an Associated Press writer apparently spoke with a meteorologist who used the term and presumably, the writer liked the way it sounded, included "polar vortex" in the headline about the cold air, and it basically went viral.

But the term "polar vortex," in my opinion, belongs in the non-smoking back rooms where we discuss and hash out forecasts before we put them out to the public. I don't go on the air or online talking about Hadley cells, or isentropic lift or dendritic growth zones, even though I may use those terms speaking to other meteorological nerds.

Many professions have their jargon, and just because new media makes it easier for us to find out about them, that doesn't necessarily mean they should instantly become part of the vernacular. There are lots of reasons why you wouldn't want to hear your doctor talk about your argonal condition or call a Code Blue in your honor. It's best they keep their jargon to themselves also.

Explaining that the steering jet stream winds drove a large chunk of very cold air from the arctic into parts of North America that don't usually get it takes more time than just labeling it "polar vortex." I get that. But it's a meteorologist's job to tell you what to expect and as time allows, give you a little background as to why. It's not his or her job to make you Google the glossary of meteorology, or frighten you with scary images.

Over the next few days, grabbing lots of layers along with your warmest hat and gloves will be a much better use of your precious time.

Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/weather/weat...#ixzz2rGGCqSX5
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• been one of the warmest winters ever here in the southwest.

Comment

• I just took the 2014 IQ test and got a 160. According to yahoo answers, my intelligence is well above average.
                  Thanks, Purdue.

...lol
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Know your IQ by answering 20 simple questions. No registration, no nonsense.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• 150. I got tired of concentrating after about 15 though, so I just passed on a couple of them. Back to work!
                      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Yea those last couple of questions require too much thinking.

I wonder if Vince Young (4 on the wonderlic) would get a 20 or less on the IQ... (possible)
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Vince Young and the Wonderlic test
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJIjoE27F-Q"]Obtaining I.Q. and aptitude tests (Idiocracy, short scene) - YouTube[/ame]
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• 150 here

I guessed at 2
                            The only logical explanation is:
                            I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
                              150 here

I guessed at 2
                              Same score /highfive.
                              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• I got a 6.

I may be dumb but I'm good looking

Comment

Working...
                                X