Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point will all you assholes just believe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
    uhmmm......ALL of them are part timers.

Oh, and - do you read what you write?
    And goes to show how little you actually know. There is now one "full time" position in each officiating crew. It was one of the things the officials union fought for during their last contract negotiations.

In fact, just this year, the NFL made a big deal about hiring their first female "full-timer."

Sarah Thomas will become the first full-time female official in NFL history. The league made the groundbreaking announcement on Wednesday, promoting Thomas after eight years of work with Conference USA.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
      And goes to show how little you actually know. There is now one "full time" position in each officiating crew. It was one of the things the officials union fought for during their last contract negotiations.

In fact, just this year, the NFL made a big deal about hiring their first female "full-timer."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...emale-official
      Shows you how little you know, the contract created 7 "full time" positions, one for each officiating position.

Comment

• Gotta love dwt1's scorched earth policy. If I'm gonna be wrong, damnit if I make sure the other guy's wrong too!

Ya got me.

Comment

Gotta love dwt1's scorched earth policy. If I'm gonna be wrong, damnit if I make sure the other guy's wrong too!

Ya got me.
          Dude, you're the one poking people in the eye, if you're going to do that that, you should at least try to be accurate.

Oh and also for the record, Sarah Thomas was not hired into one of the 7 full time positions. Her full time job is as a pharmaceutical rep. Additionally there is no record that they ever established the 7 full time referee's - apparently it was just a proposal that din't make into the final contract. or at least there is no record of it.

Comment

• Seems odd that the NFL would specifically headline her as a "full-time" official in that case.

Then again, it's not like the NFL is a bastion of honest reporting, I suppose.

Comment

Seems odd that the NFL would specifically headline her as a "full-time" official in that case.

Then again, it's not like the NFL is a bastion of honest reporting, I suppose.
              I believe, in this context "full time" means she's reffing a full slate of games - there are refs who are on call - so to speak.

Comment

• Now you're arguing off googling dwt. No one cares.

re: the "full time ref" thing...why the fuck would a ref need to be full time anyway? What's he going to do all week, practice ref'ing? All they've got to do is review rules regularly, watch some tape, and talk ref stuff. That's not a full-time job.
                The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                  Now you're arguing off googling dwt. No one cares.

re: the "full time ref" thing...why the fuck would a ref need to be full time anyway? What's he going to do all week, practice ref'ing? All they've got to do is review rules regularly, watch some tape, and talk ref stuff. That's not a full-time job.
                  Have you seen that rulebook? Have you seen how much it changes from year to year? Hell, the league office itself has people in which that is specifically their job to manage. You don't think the people executing those rules wouldn't hurt to be able to do that specifically?

Listen, I know it hurts to think that the refs don't specifically think, "It's the Lions vs. the Seahawks, and the league wants the Seahawks to win here, so I'm just gonna not throw this flag..." but you need to come out into the light, and stop attributing to malice what is just as easily explained through incompetence.
                  Last edited by chemiclord; October 8, 2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• You may recall that I was the few railing against the NFL scripted-games conspiracy after the Lions got fucked in the Dallas playoff game.

I just know there is no such thing as absolute objectivity in a human. A ref has his biases and will act accordingly, even if it's subconsciously.
                    The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                      You may recall that I was the few railing against the NFL scripted-games conspiracy after the Lions got fucked in the Dallas playoff game.

I just know there is no such thing as absolute objectivity in a human. A ref has his biases and will act accordingly, even if it's subconsciously.
                      Sure. To an extent. But I'd wager the bulk of the mistakes being made by officials has less to do with biases and more to do with not understanding that nonsensical tome of a rulebook that is edited every damn year to cover up those mistakes rather than admit, "Ya know, we fucked up."

Look at the "Calvin Johnson Rule" for example. Do you realize how many times the league has "reinterpreted" or "amended" it rather than just say, "Yeah, that should have been a catch, and our official got it wrong. The rule will remain as is."

They hire poorly, they review and terminate poor referees even less, and even go out of their way to justify not fixing any of the glaring problems with their officials. It is clear the NFL has no desire to put the time, effort, and money (the latter of which I'm sure is most important to them) to improve the quality of officiating in games.

So, I'm left with the only option the Lions have to prevent getting bent over. To get a better team with better coaching that renders those horrible refs as irrelevant as possible. And so, as a result, my criticism is going to fall more heavily on the offense that managed to score all of three points last Monday than an official that was more likely than not going to blow chunks.

Now this is where someone bitches that I'm just repeating myself (even though that's all any of us are doing right now), so I suppose I should let all of you have the last word and tell me how terrible a fan I am.

Comment

Have you seen that rulebook? Have you seen how much it changes from year to year? Hell, the league office itself has people in which that is specifically their job to manage. You don't think the people executing those rules wouldn't hurt to be able to do that specifically?

Listen, I know it hurts to think that the refs don't specifically think, "It's the Lions vs. the Seahawks, and the league wants the Seahawks to win here, so I'm just gonna not throw this flag..." but you need to come out into the light, and stop attributing to malice what is just as easily explained through incompetence.
                        I'm pretty sure as part of the job, refs have to spend at least one hour each week going over the rule book.

Comment

so I suppose I should let all of you have the last word and tell me how terrible a fan I am.
                          You suck.
                          Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• I don't believe it is a conspiracy of, "Let's screw the Lions because they are the Lions." I do believe to a degree that they are just people with the same failings as anyone else and their baseline view of the team and organization lends itself to that split second when they make a judgement call. If you remember the back judge stated he, "Did not think there was intent". That wreaks of, "well that would be dumb and the Seahawks don't play dumb. So he could not have done that purposely."

Which goes back to the organization and how they don't care about public perception. Or the history they have built to allow any reasonable human being to know this is a sad sack clown show.

Fix the team. Be convincing in victory and watch those calls turn our way.
                            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• More like "I call this penalty and I might not get out of this stadium alive".

Comment

• So home cooking?
                                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X