Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
    Should reiterate, Pistons COULD tank, but that would involve dumping contracts + trading away future 1sts. OR the Josh Smith method again... spread a dead contract out over several years.
    I would not be in favor of that.

Given how how we are stuck, just have to wait it out for a few years and hope Mr. French is special. Hit on other random young players too.
    I would absolutely be in favor of that. That is, in fact, their ONLY way out. Burn it all to the ground, get two or three 10-72 seasons, and with any luck, they'll land a transcendent superstar or two that will change this team's fortunes.

I know Froot will love to point to all those teams that slowly built bit by bit, eventually trading a paper clip for a corvette, or teams that got lucky and found a superstar in the middle of the draft, but that is not the Pistons fate. If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. We're in what... Year 13 in Purgatory?

But nope, Gores demands the playoffs, he wants his team to fight for the 8-seed and a first round sweep. That's a successful season to him. "Playoff team" looks good when you're trying to flip a franchise, after all. Which is absolutely what he wants to do, no matter how much he talks about how he intends to be the owner for decades. A guy who wants to be the long term owner doesn't divest it of any ties that would keep a team moored to an area.

The instant Gores gets a sweet offer, you'll be looking at the No Longer in Detroit Pistons.

Comment

• Hahahha. Fucking epic, Chemi. So you want the Pistons to "burn it down and tank" but complain about the Tigers doing the same thing?

btw, I totally agree with tanking for the Pistons. They should have gone the Philly route at the same time they did, but didn't. Purgatory, indeed.

Comment

• Blake could also ask for a trade but be seems to want to be here.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

I would absolutely be in favor of that. That is, in fact, their ONLY way out. Burn it all to the ground, get two or three 10-72 seasons, and with any luck, they'll land a transcendent superstar or two that will change this team's fortunes.

I know Froot will love to point to all those teams that slowly built bit by bit, eventually trading a paper clip for a corvette, or teams that got lucky and found a superstar in the middle of the draft, but that is not the Pistons fate. If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. We're in what... Year 13 in Purgatory?

But nope, Gores demands the playoffs, he wants his team to fight for the 8-seed and a first round sweep. That's a successful season to him. "Playoff team" looks good when you're trying to flip a franchise, after all. Which is absolutely what he wants to do, no matter how much he talks about how he intends to be the owner for decades. A guy who wants to be the long term owner doesn't divest it of any ties that would keep a team moored to an area.

The instant Gores gets a sweet offer, you'll be looking at the No Longer in Detroit Pistons.
          Trading away numerous 1st round draft picks so you can tank is even dumber than saying a trade for Andrew Wiggins is the best case scenario.

Comment

• The NBA is such a joke...
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Some Headlines:
              Report: Mavericks signing Seth Curry for four years, $32 million
              This is why Dallas wouldn't trade for Goran Dragic

Report: Heat trading Hassan Whiteside to Trail Blazers
              Maurice Harkless and Meyers Leonard to Miami, which is still trying to complete Jimmy Butler sign-and-trade

Report: Knicks signing Wayne Ellington to two-year, $16M contract
              New York's best value yet?

Report: Wizards signing Ish Smith, signing-and-trading Tomas Satoransky to Bulls
              Chicago looking more interesting

After wild day of spending, what teams have cap space left? Look to Los Angeles.
              More than $3 billion in contracts were handed out by NBA teams in the first eight hours of NBA free agency opening up on Sunday. It felt like a Piranha feeding frenzy with, by our estimate now, 50 free...

Report: Reggie Bullock agrees to join Knicks on two-year, $21 million contract
              New York went and got a shooter.

Report: Knicks signing Bobby Portis to two-year, $31M million deal
              Not great, New York

Robin Lopez reportedly agrees to two-year deal with Bucks
              Robin Lopez will join twin brother Brook Lopez in Milwaukee.

Golden State makes power move after losing Kevin Durant

Report: Klay Thompson re-signing with Warriors on max deal without player option, no-trade clause
              Good, not perfect, for Thompson

Report: Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving taking discounts so Nets can give DeAndre Jordan four years, $40M
              Durant and Irving won't get guaranteed max salaries in Brooklyn

Report: 76ers signing-and-trading Jimmy Butler to Heat
              Josh Richardson to 76ers, other players also leaving Miami

Report: Al Horford reportedly heading to Sixers on four-year, $109 million contractReport: Julius Randle headed to Knicks, agrees to three-year, $63 million contract
              Randle averaged 21.4 points and 8.7 rebounds a game last season in New Orleans.

Report: Tobias Harris re-signing with 76ers for five years, $180M
              What next for Philadelphia, Jimmy Butler?

Report: Utah adds shooting, agrees to deal with Bojan Bogdanovic for four-years, $73 million
              Utah may roll out a starting lineup of Mike Conley, Donovan Mitchell, Joe Ingles, Bojan Bogdanovic, and Rudy Gobert.

Report: Pelicans sign JJ Redick to two-year, $26.5 million deal
              Things are wide open in the west.

Report: Derrick Rose signing two-year, $15M contract with Pistons
              Detroit gets backup point guard

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Wayne Ellington getting paid

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                  Hahahha. Fucking epic, Chemi. So you want the Pistons to "burn it down and tank" but complain about the Tigers doing the same thing?

btw, I totally agree with tanking for the Pistons. They should have gone the Philly route at the same time they did, but didn't. Purgatory, indeed.
                  I don't particularly have a problem with the Tigers "tanking," though it's not nearly as essential in MLB as securing a "superstar" player is in the NBA.

I have a problem with the Tigers artificially slashing payroll for no real reason than to fatten Chris I.'s wallet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                    Should reiterate, Pistons COULD tank, but that would involve dumping contracts + trading away future 1sts. OR the Josh Smith method again... spread a dead contract out over several years.
                    I would not be in favor of that.

Given how how we are stuck, just have to wait it out for a few years and hope Mr. French is special. Hit on other random young players too.
                    It's like Pistons fans don't know that lottery protected draft pick trades are a thing. In fact, that's exactly WHY they are a thing.

Comment

• Eventually the protections go away, that's how the Pistons were gifted the privilege to draft Darko. But yeah, giving away draft picks and trading for Wiggins is the way to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

I don't particularly have a problem with the Tigers "tanking," though it's not nearly as essential in MLB as securing a "superstar" player is in the NBA.

I have a problem with the Tigers artificially slashing payroll for no real reason than to fatten Chris I.'s wallet.
                        This argument makes no sense when you think about it. Tigers valuation ranks at #21 (Forbes) is nearly 1/2 a billion below the MLB average. He could slash payroll for 20 years and never make up that difference. You argument makes 0 business sense. When viewed in the short term 5 years, rebuilding the team from the ground up makes much more sense than trying to squeeze out a measly 10-20 million per year.

Comment

• They are not doing much rebuilding from the ground up. Everyone was and is for the Tigers to trade anything of value even if it's 50 cents on the dollar to just get something. Then Avila trades anyone with value and none of the prospects they got back are worth a shit. The Tiger system is trash outside of a couple pitchers.

It's like tanking, everyone thinks it's destined to succeed even though 6-8 teams might be doing it at any given time. If you can't keep identify talent with later picks and develop talent, no amount of scheme will help.

Comment

• "I don't particularly have a problem with the Tigers "tanking," though it's not nearly as essential in MLB as securing a "superstar" player is in the NBA.

I have a problem with the Tigers artificially slashing payroll for no real reason than to fatten Chris I.'s wallet."

Part of tanking is slashing payroll. You know, trading good expensive players for prospects. They actually spent this year on 4 guys. Ross, Moore, Mercer and Harrison.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              They are not doing much rebuilding from the ground up. Everyone was and is for the Tigers to trade anything of value even if it's 50 cents on the dollar to just get something. Then Avila trades anyone with value and none of the prospects they got back are worth a shit. The Tiger system is trash outside of a couple pitchers.

It's like tanking, everyone thinks it's destined to succeed even though 6-8 teams might be doing it at any given time. If you can't keep identify talent with later picks and develop talent, no amount of scheme will help.
                              I am certainly not claiming any destiny here. For every Philly, there are five Phoenixes that remain buried in the ass end.

What I AM saying is that the Pistons need a "franchise player" to even have much of a chance in today's NBA. They clearly can't replicate Dumars's "Going to Work" team, nor can they find that diamond in the rough. If they were at all capable of building it that way, you'd think we'd be seeing returns on that by Year 13.

Since they clearly can't do it that way, their only way out is to tank hard and get lucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                                "I don't particularly have a problem with the Tigers "tanking," though it's not nearly as essential in MLB as securing a "superstar" player is in the NBA.

I have a problem with the Tigers artificially slashing payroll for no real reason than to fatten Chris I.'s wallet."

Part of tanking is slashing payroll. You know, trading good expensive players for prospects. They actually spent this year on 4 guys. Ross, Moore, Mercer and Harrison.
                                And if I had any faith that Chris Ilitch gave one solitary shit about building a team, you'd be right.

But I don't. He's trying to run the Tigers on the cheap. He will continue to sell dupes on "the farm," while selling off any asset that might actually want to get paid. That's what he did, that's what he's doing now, that's what he will do in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X