No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, there are SOME things the NBA can do to mitigate tanking, since they don't want to actually solve the problem.

"Superstar treatment" is a thing that is great if you want to spotlight certain players for business reasons; not so great if you're trying to build a competitive league, because it directly creates this scenario where teams will do whatever they can to get that next "big thing." Instead of refs allowing certain players special leniency, or asking, "Do we really want to give [x] their [y] foul?" actually strive for even, non-biased officiating and you blunt some of the need for teams to tank for the #1 pick. It won't solve the problem, because with so few players on the court at any given time, it gives outsized influence to the most talented guys to change a game.

The actual solution is to abolish the draft entirely. Teams won't tank if there's no incentive to do so.

Comment

• As much as I hate the current system at least its not the NHL's shit. The NHL's lottery is god awful. I'm not even sure why they have a lottery. Teams don't tank in the NHL like the NBA or NFL.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Yep, everyone has to remember that sports drafts are first and foremost ways to deflate salaries. If you want to get rid of tanking you get rid of the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          Yep, everyone has to remember that sports drafts are first and foremost ways to deflate salaries. If you want to get rid of tanking you get rid of the draft.
          How would that work? Kids could sign where they want?
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The veterans don't want that, they want that money going to them.

Comment

• Shit I don't want that either. It wouldn't be great for small market teams especially Detroit. I'll stick to what we have. Hell I didn't think the Pistons would even sniff the lottery this year. Cade and Ivey was going to be a nice combo so I'll take the last top 5 pick we have for awhile. I just can't see what we'd do with Cade, Scoot and Ivey.

Sorry but Cade isn't a SF
              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• A world without a draft would likely only ever come to fruition with a hard salary cap, or far more punitive measures for exceeding the cap.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

How would that work? Kids could sign where they want?
                  Yes, drafts are fundamentally illegal as are salary caps and free agent rules. The only way the leagues get around it are a CBA.

If you had a strict salary cap without a draft, it might work. No player wants to go be the 12th man on a great team for peanuts. It will never happen so you have this. The play in has help mitigate tanking.

Comment

• Unless the Pistons sign a couple good players or make a couple trades, they are definitely in the lotto next year at the very least. If you don't have dynamic wings in the NBA, you are toast. They have mishapen roster with a bunch of guards and no defense big men. Ivey and Cade are good but they are only potemtial right now. The league is full of guards. It takes a long time, look no further than De'Aaron Fox. He toiled for 5 years in Sacto putting up good stats before they got to the playoffs. SGA is a 1st team All NBA player and they only made the playin as the 10th seed

The Pistons team earned their 17 wins, they didn't actually tank. They didn't sit amazing veterans to tank like OKC did with SGA for a few years. With Cade, they are maybe a 25 win team.

Comment

• They sat Bogdonovich and Burks not much longer after the all star game...i am pretty sure they were both healthy enough to play...>Would they have mattered? Probably not...They both should have probably have been traded at the deadline.

Comment

Yes, drafts are fundamentally illegal as are salary caps and free agent rules. The only way the leagues get around it are a CBA.

If you had a strict salary cap without a draft, it might work. No player wants to go be the 12th man on a great team for peanuts. It will never happen so you have this. The play in has help mitigate tanking.
                        I don't follow the NBA much other than the playoffs, but I made this same observation about the play in to my son the other night.

I think the draft in football is a must and serves the purpose of helping teams become competitive and it is huge money maker, but I think that not having a draft and a strict cap could work in the NBA. I was thinking that the "bag man" might be a problem, kind of like booster money in college prior to NILs, but I guess it would be no more of a problem than the fact that players can go anywhere where there is a opportunity to make more money through endorsements and other crap as it is now
                        Last edited by CGVT; April 19, 2023, 08:45 PM.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The problem with tanking nowadays is it is much more common than it was 10-15 years ago and each year the reward is worse. It used to be that you might have one or two teams really committed to do it for the full year where a really good player was coming up like Duncan, Shaq, LeBron, Grant Hill, Patrick Ewing,.etc.. It didn't happen every year and those players could instantly make your team better. They had more college experience, so they were a little older and more importantly the talent pool of the NBA was much poorer. A really good young player could improve the teams fortunes quickly. You could get by with a big three and fill out the rest of the team with JAGs. Those days are long gone.

We were ecstatic when the Pistons got Grant Hill for good reason, they won 20 games the year they drafted him, 28 the next year, 46 and the playoffs in his second year. Even if they win the lotto it would be a lot to ask for them to get to 46 wins by 2025.

Comment

• I'd like to congratulate the Memphis Grizzlies to make nearly the whole nation (me included) root for the Lakers to give them bare bottom spankings. I have never seen a team that has accomplished so little that talked so much.

Comment

I'd like to congratulate the Memphis Grizzlies to make nearly the whole nation (me included) root for the Lakers to give them bare bottom spankings. I have never seen a team that has accomplished so little that talked so much.
                              Amen to this. I dislike Lebron and the Lakers but watching Brooks call LBJ old and act like he's ever been on the same talent level is laughable.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Brooks took the easy way out getting himself ejected, that ejection helped out the Grizzlies. The Lakers want him Brooks jacking up as many bad shots as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X