No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya, the 48% chance they picked 5th was a total travesty. Said no gambler EVER.

Comment

• Can you gamble on the NBA lottery? For a system that is supposed to be so random, alot of people sure nailed it with the Spurs.

Comment

• The Spurs literally only tank when a can't miss prospect is on the horizon and they have been rewarded both times. I don't think you can technically count the Robinson pick as a third time because they just weren't that good.

Meanwhile, the Pistons have been truly in the tank as long as it took Joe D to create a championship contender after losing Grant Hill.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          The Spurs literally only tank when a can't miss prospect is on the horizon and they have been rewarded both times. I don't think you can technically count the Robinson pick as a third time because they just weren't that good.

Meanwhile, the Pistons have been truly in the tank as long as it took Joe D to create a championship contender after losing Grant Hill.
          And that it seems that our management can't seem to develop their own talent, since the NBA isn't going out of their way to help us get better.

I'm undecided on the young talent that we currently have. Since we have the #5 overall pick, Weaver needs to really hit on this pick, because I'm starting to get tired of all of this tank crap.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
          My friend Ken L

Comment

The Spurs literally only tank when a can't miss prospect is on the horizon and they have been rewarded both times. I don't think you can technically count the Robinson pick as a third time because they just weren't that good.

Well, the league went out of its way to make sure a team like Joe D. built never happens again. Meanwhile, pretty much everything about the way the NBA runs its business leans itself into tanking. Even in a perfect world, the nature of the sport means that one "superstar" has tremendous impact on a team. Add in the fact that the original team literally cannot be outbid for a player's services and that there is a maximum any franchise can offer... that means that even if an impact player has decided he's had enough, you have to compete with high profile markets that can offer players a lot more off-the-court benefits.

So yeah, for a lot of franchises, tanking is the only way out of purgatory. You can't get the difference makers to push your team higher than the play-in seeds otherwise.

Now, that said... if you're the GM of a franchise that in three years has had three top five choices, and you can't put together a core that leads to a contending franchise, you just need to get fired and let someone competent take over.
            Last edited by chemiclord; May 17, 2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Another guy who I think would be a nice fit for the Pistons is Taylor Hendricks from UCF. A big wing who can really defend and shoot.

Of course if they hire Kevin Ollie (insert eye roll), given his Overtime Elite connection, I would assume Ausar Thompson will be in play.
              Last edited by BJK; May 17, 2023, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Well, the league went out of its way to make sure a team like Joe D. built never happens again. Meanwhile, pretty much everything about the way the NBA runs its business leans itself into tanking. Even in a perfect world, the nature of the sport means that one "superstar" has tremendous impact on a team. Add in the fact that the original team literally cannot be outbid for a player's services and that there is a maximum any franchise can offer... that means that even if an impact player has decided he's had enough, you have to compete with high profile markets that can offer players a lot more off-the-court benefits.

So yeah, for a lot of franchises, tanking is the only way out of purgatory. You can't get the difference makers to push your team higher than the play-in seeds otherwise.

Now, that said... if you're the GM of a franchise that in three years has had the #1, #4, and #5 choices, and you can't put together a core that leads to a contending franchise, you just need to get fired and let someone competent take over.
                Agree.

In the last 10 years the team with the worst record fell:

2013 ORL fell 1
                2014 MIL fell 2
                2015 MIN fell 1
                2016 PHI fell 1
                2017 BRL (PHI) fell1
                2018 PHX fell 1
                2019 NYK fell 3
                2020 GS fell 2
                2021 HOU fell 2
                2022 HOU 3
                2023 DET fell 5 places

But loterries are stupid. For what they are and what they think they're preventing.

If your odds are better to have the 5th pick after being the worst team in the league then there's some major flaws in the system.

I am arbitrarily against lotteries. You earn what your record says you earn. This stupid az gimmick to prevent your clubs from what I can only surmise is looked generally at as cheating, in tanking does not, and will never, prevent tanking. Ever. What is fair for a team like Detroit who were actually trying to win, would be great for tank teams. What happened to Detroit was terrible.

And if you just missed the playoffs, why are you in the lottery? Stupid. The only teams that should be in a lottery is the bottom 3 teams. The worst team should never pick worse then 3rd.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• In the NFL, the owners may be greedy but they aren’t entirely stupid and would hopefully recognize that the draft as currently structured sells hope to downtrodden fan bases and there is tremendous value in the wait until next year mentality that carries fan’s aspirations over from one season to the next. But when it turns to eternal with no year(s) of prosperity, fans just give up entirely until they get that hope back.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• All teams should be continually watched. And late in the season the worse teams should be watched daily for tanking. How do you prove it? IDK. I just know this isn't it. It doesn't feel natural or organic. It feels forced and arbitrary

Comment

• Well, Detroit fell 4 slots, not 5, unless they were slated to get that magical #0 pick.

Comment

• The NBA certainly hit the 2002 Kings with a crowbar froot.

Comment

• I think best team left is the Nuggets and they didn't tank. They have two indispensable role players that are former Pistons in KCP and Bruce Brown. Once the new regime got here, they threw him Brown for nothing and he was good in NJ and now I Denver. At the same time they traded a future first so they could draft Stewart, but that trade has hamstrung any way for them to trade a future first rounder.

Maybe the Pistons win the lottery once in the next couple years because that's what we have to look forward to. The team is garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
                            The NBA certainly hit the 2002 Kings with a crowbar froot.
                            Did you watch the game last night Hoss?

That old 2002 Kings gimmick is ridiculous. The Kings were crybabies about that, there was no league conspiracy. The Lakers had the two best players in the series.

Comment

I think best team left is the Nuggets and they didn't tank. They have two indispensable role players that are former Pistons in KCP and Bruce Brown. Once the new regime got here, they threw him Brown for nothing and he was good in NJ and now I Denver. At the same time they traded a future first so they could draft Stewart, but that trade has hamstrung any way for them to trade a future first rounder.

Maybe the Pistons win the lottery once in the next couple years because that's what we have to look forward to. The team is garbage.
                              They also got the NBA equivalent of Tom Brady in the 6th round. I'm not sure finding your impact player at #41 is particularly replicable.

Comment

• Steph Curry was drafted #7. Klay was a mid 1st round pick, Draymond was picked in the second round. The Miami Heat literally have 9 undrafted free agents in their roster.

The Pistons organization is pure garbage now, it's actually worse than when they were in 28 win purgatory. The team is terrible and it has a culture of losing where no mistakes matter, you don't get pulled and you don't play defense. Now they get to wait another year to win a lottery. Weaver has so far be a disaster. Al Avila and Chris Ilitch are probably mocking the ineptitude of the Pistons.

Comment

Working...
                                X