No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 is valid but a big overreach. Players develop. Always have, always will. How much is the unknown.

Andre was rushing on offense last night. He showed some great moves in game 1 and 2. Those are repeatable moves.
    Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
      With all the complaining about Smith starting at the 3 you'd think people would realize that Smith at the 3 is better than Singler at the 3. Because Singler offers very little in any category, Smith offers playmaking (he has become deft at finding 3 point shooters off penetration) and some toughness down low.
      That is damning with faint praise. Of course he's better than Kyle Singler. It doesn't mean he's a good 3.

pANDs

Point 3 about SVG is right on. I was rooting for SVG, in the studio he had looked like he's lost 30-40 pounds. Not coaching was doing the man good, that or the cinematographer used the slimming lenses.

But all that progress was lost by Stan when he took the Pistons job. I don't blame him. Looking at that roster and the contract situations is going to cause a lot of stress eating.

Comment

It's been awhile since I gave my first class opinions here, so here are a couple early season observations and reminders:

1. No, Greg didn't get better, he will be Greg again this year (15/9/3) His games was maxed out Jan 2010. Also, probably best to get used to him running like a girl, it's been 4 years gang. No improvement.

2. Andre is not a superstar in the making who just needs the game to slow down for him on offense. He has no offense or any offensive skill to develop. He's broke in that area. He is also clueless on the defensive end save for the wow moment block shots. Luckily for him he is a freakishly athletic 290 lb guy and that is enough to be an All-Star at some point.

3. SVG isn't going to magically look any less stuffed on the sideline, so stop expecting it ladies. He doesn't have much to work with in that area. He is always going to look (and probably smell) like he just an entire meat loaf. Extra ketchup? Yes please. Puke.

4. The Palace isn't any better despite what you are hearing. An extra big stretch screen is just what eccentric billionaires with Ron Popeil hair in a can do to overcompensate for their small endowments. Talking penis size here folks.

5. If one more game goes by w/o Blaha calling the PG combination the BJ and DJ show I am going to scream. Also pissed we didn't draft German sharpshooter Hans Gaab. That's a hard G.

6. Quentin Richardson not teaching the 3 goggles after made 3's to our players is a fire-able offense. You've got one job Q.

7. The only way for me to get on board with Jerebko in the rotation is to play Weezer's My Name is Jonas after every made 3. Because that is a great song and I wouldn't mind hearing it 0.667 times a game.

8. This team feels like last years team. KCP feels like last year's KCP. Jennings feels like last years Jennings. There have only been marginal roster improvements. I want to see Cartier, Jodie Meeks and every other fairy named FA Stan Van signed.
        1- Two things. Different system and now SVG can now put shooters around him. He never had that before. And he literally gave up tens of millions to play for a new contract. Here is a player on a contract year, entering his prime, who bet tens of millions on himself. Maybe he will play better through the course of a season.

2- Already said this is a big overreach. How much more would Andre need to add to his stats to be considered a superstar?

3- Very good point

4- Palace is just OK, agreed.

5- Blaha gets a free pass for anything, in my book

6- ok

7- If Jonas can keep shooting well, I don't see why he can't be Reshard Lewis light... SVG loves shooting smallish PF types that just have to hit shots and run the court. We'll see.

8- Way too early
        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

I think Josh Smith took 17 shots, which would be a season high. Smith is going to nosedive after this year, his hops are betraying him. Got stuffed by a white guy and by the rim tonight. But he always plays Melo tough.
          Yeah he took more than I thought and then added more after I posted in the 4th quarter. At least a few of his shots were late in the clock, so I at least slightly justifiable (but still...). His offense is as bad as it gets when even his post up moves and layups are not working. At least Carmelo had a terrible day too.

Comment

I don't get the Palace hate from Deuce.

Comment

Superstar Brook? Woah. Lets start with all-star.

All Star: The development of smart post moves that gets him to 60%+ shooting from under the basket. Additionally, 70% or so from the free throw line to make teams pay for hard fouling him. Needs to be a 20-10 guy every single night, not once every 3 games.

Superstar: Development of a jump hook/fadeaway that can extend his range to anywhere in the key. Becoming an efficient passer with his back away from the basket and the ability to find the open guy on the wings when the D collapses on him. DPOY caliber defense every night. 25p-12r-5a-2b-2s guy every night. Pistons become perennial contender, because 1 superstar should be enough to get you to the playoffs in the east.

I don't know if I ever see him getting to 'superstar'. There are not that many of those. First, he needs to get to the LaMarcus Aldridge/Good Roy Hibbert level. That isn't a superstar though.
              Last edited by guitarjack87; November 6, 2014, 05:07 PM.
              1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

He has to quit barking at the refs as well. Woof!

Comment

Brooky said: 2- Already said this is a big overreach. How much more would Andre need to add to his stats to be considered a superstar?
                  About 30 more wins on a team that was built around him. It's not happening. He is a piece of the puzzle, but someone else will have to do the heavy lifting. This is Deuce talking, no anti-Drummond bias. I called for him to be drafted if available, I was thrilled when we drafted him and am thrilled with how good he has been so far. However I am not impressed by the sentiment that he is a superstar in training. You have to be competent with the ball in your hands, he is incompetent like few others who average double digits. Thank God he can dunk and once in awhile play harder than everyone else on the court.
                  The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjack87 View Post
                    Superstar Brook? Woah. Lets start with all-star.

All Star: The development of smart post moves that gets him to 60%+ shooting from under the basket. Additionally, 70% or so from the free throw line to make teams pay for hard fouling him. Needs to be a 20-10 guy every single night, not once every 3 games.

Superstar: Development of a jump hook/fadeaway that can extend his range to anywhere in the key. Becoming an efficient passer with his back away from the basket and the ability to find the open guy on the wings when the D collapses on him. DPOY caliber defense every night. 25p-12r-5a-2b-2s guy every night. Pistons become perennial contender, because 1 superstar should be enough to get you to the playoffs in the east.

I don't know if I ever see him getting to 'superstar'. There are not that many of those. First, he needs to get to the LaMarcus Aldridge/Good Roy Hibbert level. That isn't a superstar though.
                    That part's just not true. Drummond will NEVER be a 20-10 guy, ever. He'll be an AS once he gets to 15/13/2 or there abouts, and that's probably right around his cap.

Comment

• Lots and lots of absolutes. IMO way too early on judging the system. Far too early on capping a 21 year old that has unique abilities already.

Comment

• This was pretty funny. The crowd, all together, spontaneously said "NO!" when Smith was about to shoot the ball. I could hear it clearly over the broadcast. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Smith helped to handcuff Knicks scoring legend Carmelo Anthony in Detroit's first win of the season but his 2-of-17 shooting seemed to get more attention than his defense, playmaking and rebounding.

Comment

• Lost to Utah at home. Still having problems with 4th Q meltdowns.

Comment

• Just watched this game on dvr.

Man this loss sucked. Led by 9 in the fourth and still got an L.

Now 6 of the next 8 on the road. With the next 2 being particularly tough in Chicago & Washington. Really would have been nice to get off to a nice start for a change this year, but this really has just been a replay (as far as starts go) of the last 4 or 5 or whatever seasons.

I'm just so freaking desperate for the Pistons to be competitive.
                            AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/532006863182004224[/ame]
                              Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• lol that was on the ESPN not top 10. Someone mispelled Milsap too.

I was looking at the NBA scores and I was impressed by the amount of depth a lot of teams how now (except for Phili of course).
                                Charlotte for example has Cody Zeller (#4 pick), Gerald Henderson (1st Round pick), Gary Neal (one time NBA Finals player that lit it up), and Bismack (1st Round pick) off the bench. They aren't even playing Noah Venleh. Idk if it has to do with less players retiring that has given teams more depth... or if it is because I'm now very familiar with most 1st Round picks since 2006.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X