Matt Stafford is the suckiest suck to ever suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
    Hey, pal... you're the one contending the defense did it's job.

I presented actual metrics that demonstrated they didn't do their job (in any way, shape, or form), and that the only reason their points per game actually looked decent was because of a game plan that explicitly reduced the number of times they were allowed to stink.

Basically, it only looked like they "did their job" because they weren't allowed to try.

I mean, fuck... they went 9-7 with a one-dimensional offense, a bottom of the basement defense, and a coach that couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. And STAFFORD is the problem here?
    Metrics. Yards aren't metrics in a game decided by points.

Three things come to mind here:

1) The Lions defense performed a smoke and mirrors job last year. If they were as bad as you suggest they struggle to win 6. The reality is the opposition has at least 8 possessions by the 4th quarter - and when a "bad" defense keeps 10 opponents at 20 or under they did enough. In a couple of those - some of those points were given up by the Lions offense......

2) We aren't kidding ourselves here, the Lions defense was nowhere near good enough to go on a playoff run. They weren't capable of carrying an inept offense against the better teams in the league.

3) We aren't kidding ourselves here, the Lions offense was nowhere good enough to go on a playoff run. In fact, they had a hard time carrying the team even against CHI in both meetings last year.

4) I wouldn't expect a repeat of last year defensively. They got away with one last year. Thats a 1-off, they have to get better players. They need the rooks to step in and do a job this year.

5) The offense, in which the entire starting 11 are either 3rd rd or higher draft picks or were acquired with premium FA resources simply has to do more. They simply can't again be nowhere near good enough to make a playoff run.

Comment

• The one thing the defense did last year consistently is gice up the go ahead score to the opponent with enough time left for the offense to win it.
      Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
        Metrics. Yards aren't metrics in a game decided by points.
        The defense gave up two and a half points per drive. Those ARE points, you fucking idiot. The defense was garbage. They were basement tier. THEY DID NOT DO THEIR JOB.

Jesus, you're dense as hell.

The only thing you're right about was that Caldwell masked their shittiness as well as he possibly could (smoke and mirrors), and prayed that Stafford could make magic with the last possession.

Comment

I mean, fuck... they went 9-7 with a one-dimensional offense, a bottom of the basement defense, and a coach that couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. And STAFFORD is the problem here?
          This
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
            Ya.

The problem is with the D and their ability to keep the other guy off the board.

It would be interesting to know who the 3 were.
            Green Bay twice and Seattle once.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
              Green Bay twice .
              This makes it worthwhile.;-)
              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

The defense gave up two and a half points per drive. Those ARE points, you fucking idiot. The defense was garbage. They were basement tier. THEY DID NOT DO THEIR JOB.

Jesus, you're dense as hell.

The only thing you're right about was that Caldwell masked their shittiness as well as he possibly could (smoke and mirrors), and prayed that Stafford could make magic with the last possession.
                Actually it was 2.28. Green Bay gave up 2.29, didn't stop them from beating winning teams.

Oh and if you actually knew how to do analysis - you would notice that Detroit's stats on points per drive are largely influenced by TWO games.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
                  Actually it was 2.28. Green Bay gave up 2.29, didn't stop them from beating winning teams.

Oh and if you actually knew how to do analysis - you would notice that Detroit's stats on points per drive are largely influenced by TWO games.
                  Aaron Rodgers, and Matthew Stafford. Like I said about 30 posts ago. Those two guys are good enough to carry bad teams to the playoffs. Obviously Rodgers is better, no one is disputing that. That is why Green Bay wins 10 or 11 games with a 6 win team and the Lions win 9 with a 6 win team.
                  1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

• DWT - The 2014 loss @Dallas was because of a very bad officiating call. PI against Pettigrew was BLATANT and flag thrown, should have been a 1st down, but Jerry got some home cookin from the refs in that game. Best thing was Karma the following week when they got screwed @GB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                      DWT - The 2014 loss @Dallas was because of a very bad officiating call. PI against Pettigrew was BLATANT and flag thrown, should have been a 1st down, but Jerry got some home cookin from the refs in that game. Best thing was Karma the following week when they got screwed @GB.

The PI call wasnt the worst part of that game. Suh was destroying the cowgirls OL in the 1st half. The entire second half they deployed holds nonstop and werentnl flagged at all. It was shit man
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

"...if the offense does anything other than waiting for the last 2 minutes to throw away the playbook."

They do that, and the defense is giving up 28+ points per game. They were literally not stopping anyone. Their only defense was not being on the field.
                        Not to blow this totally out of the planet, but at least 2 games were won (what I can remember without looking it up) when the D ended the game with an interception. So...

Not to say the D didn't need to be better, they absolutely needed an upgrade, but that offense was fu(kin FUGLEY! Most games saw them go 2-3 quarters of 3 and outs. If the D was as bad as you say, there's no way they make a come back.

Just out of curiosity, what was the offense's average per drive?

Why is that putrid offense getting a pass? I don't lay this at the feet of MS though. JBC and Caldwell need to do a better job of putting the O in a position to win. And I seriously doubt that going 3 and out is a way to keep the other team from getting the ball.
                        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
                          DWT - The 2014 loss @Dallas was because of a very bad officiating call. PI against Pettigrew was BLATANT and flag thrown, should have been a 1st down, but Jerry got some home cookin from the refs in that game. Best thing was Karma the following week when they got screwed @GB.

The Lions were outscored (iirc) 17-0 to end that game. The official didn't help but it ABSOLUTELY DID NOT cost the Lions the game. The Lions ineptitude cost them, again.

Report after that game :

Stafford completed 28 of 42 passes for 323 yards for the Lions. He lost two fumbles and threw one interception that was tipped at the line of scrimmage, all in the second half.
                          Last edited by Panoptes; July 3, 2017, 10:28 AM.
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Believe it or not, the Lions were (depending on the measure) above-average or near the top of the league.

Also note the Lions offense had a total number of drives well below league average. Also note they were #1 in TOP and total plays per drive. Also note they had the league's worst rushing attack.

Stafford was asked to play a ball control, TOP offense, with nothing resembling production behind him... and SUCCEEDED.

But ya know... HE'S the problem with this team.

Comment

• Hyperbole

He's not THE problem.

He's also, to date, NOT the answer (with lots of tape to support such a statement).
                              19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Honestly, I don't know Stafford is the answer because it seems the Lions still haven't figured out what the damn question is to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                X