No announcement yet.

Matt Stafford is the suckiest suck to ever suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every team in the NFL throws short of the marker on third down quite often in every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
      Does Stafford change play calls at teh line of scrimmage like a Manning did or does he just go with whatever is called? We see so many awful play calls thats it hard to beleieve a 10 year vet can come up with something better based on what he reads.
      It has been reported that not only does Mediocre Matty is free to change the play he is also instrumental in the original play call and the development of the offense.

Comment

• In his time with the Lions, he has had autonomy to audible out of the play. Does he have it now? There is nothing reported that says he doesn't, but I don't think he has the freedom that he did under Caldwell. Whatever the reason, he is having a subpar year verging on totally shitty.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
          I wish Stafford would spend a month with the Sheriff this off-season and work on some misdirection.
          It's not like he hasn't been told before. He worked on it and was a little better. Now, he's slipped all the way back. I think he can't keep up with all the moving parts on the field and is afraid to throw a pick so he focuses on a reciever or at max, one side of the field. Waiting foor a window to fire it through.

This year, I told my wife this, "If he looks to the other side of the field it will be an easy reception." And like clockwork, the vast majority of the time, it is.

Of course that takes time because he stays on one read a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
          No, I'm not. I've been pretty critical of Stafford these season and argued with some in the process. He's been well underpar. I'm not comparing him to Manning (or any of the other listed QBs), if only. I'm saying I think there are things that he could learn from him that would improve his game because he certainly needs help. As bad as Stafford has been, he's not alone in missing the odd deep ball. Literally everyone does and I saw it happen a bunch of times yesterday.
          Rodgers missed 3 throws Sunday. 2 would have been TDs. Not apologizing for MS because he has been really off on that all year.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            In his time with the Lions, he has had autonomy to audible out of the play. Does he have it now? There is nothing reported that says he doesn't, but I don't think he has the freedom that he did under Caldwell. Whatever the reason, he is having a subpar year verging on totally shitty.
            Yeah, however...

This is what HE wants. JBC, the offense, etc... So he can't point a finger at JBC because this is what he wants.

I say F what he wants. Get a real OC and run the dam offense. Or be more exposed.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I think everybody over interprets those comments about Cooter last year.

Comment

In his time with the Lions, he has had autonomy to audible out of the play. Does he have it now? There is nothing reported that says he doesn't, but I don't think he has the freedom that he did under Caldwell. Whatever the reason, he is having a subpar year verging on totally shitty.
                I can't imagine any team being so stupid as to handcuff a veteran QB by forcing him to stay with designed calls all the time. Shit, they aren't even handcuffing the greenhorn rookies around the league.

This isn't anything new here, since they went to this dumbed down offense years ago - one which is designed to get the ball out quicker and raise the QB's completion percentage exponentially (which it has) - Stafford has been throwing the ball less and getting sacked more. It makes no sense, what are they running 5 yard routes that take 5 seconds to develop or something? The evolution of quarterbacking has taken a step back in DET. It's an offense that is totally dependent on YAC, and when the defense doesn't allow that it's an offense that is impotent.

Comment

• Early in the year they were running all kinds of long developing routes and Stafford was getting sacked a lot. Long passes are pretty much all Marvin Jones is good for and he is pretty good at it, but he's not much use elsewhere. Jones got hurt and after that 16 sack stretch over two games they have abandoned any deep passes. Whatever the problem, next year they have to change things up. If you keep Stafford, it needs to change, I'm not sure it will. I think this offense isn't far off of where Patricia wants it, Sunday's game would have been his version of a really good win if Prater hits the field goal. A defensive struggle with very few mistakes offensively. To me its the recipe for a 10-6 ceiling unless your defense is so dominating that it creates a ton of turnovers.

One thing that is perplexing is the way Stafford really cut down on the scrambling for 1st downs. That was an emphasis when Caldwell took over and it helped, this season he is anchored to the pocket and he doesn't get a lot of time.

Comment

I think everybody over interprets those comments about Cooter last year.
                    I have read the clarification is that MS doesn't like change. Which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of JBC, but if it were me, (I don't like change either) I would endorse change over having to run an offense that the D reads better then I do.

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    Early in the year they were running all kinds of long developing routes and Stafford was getting sacked a lot. Long passes are pretty much all Marvin Jones is good for and he is pretty good at it, but he's not much use elsewhere. Jones got hurt and after that 16 sack stretch over two games they have abandoned any deep passes. Whatever the problem, next year they have to change things up. If you keep Stafford, it needs to change, I'm not sure it will. I think this offense isn't far off of where Patricia wants it, Sunday's game would have been his version of a really good win if Prater hits the field goal. A defensive struggle with very few mistakes offensively. To me its the recipe for a 10-6 ceiling unless your defense is so dominating that it creates a ton of turnovers.

One thing that is perplexing is the way Stafford really cut down on the scrambling for 1st downs. That was an emphasis when Caldwell took over and it helped, this season he is anchored to the pocket and he doesn't get a lot of time.
                    That drives my wife batty. She screams, :He could have ran for the first down." All the time.

It's another thing that he's went backwards.

Comment

• Its very rare when any football player wants the coach gone, even if the coach is a boob. If they do want the coach gone they are quiet on the issue.

Last year they were 8th in the league in offense. Its very rare when any player publicly OKs the firing of a coach. When Rodgers put out a tweet saying sweet after McCarthy was fired it was quickly deleted because of impending criticism. We really have no idea on what goes on under the AllenPark BigTop, with the lack of information everyone extrapolates on any info you might have so the retention of Cooter becomes Stafford wanting him. Nobody knows anything about the Lions I certainly don't think Patricia was hired as head coach and only has his hands on the defense. I mean its an easy argument to put forth, thats what Marinelli did but I think its more like the case with Belichick where he has his hands on everything.

On the scrambling thing, there has to be a reason why he has cut down on it. Its not like he did it a lot but this year will be one of the lowest rushing attempts of his career.

Comment

Its very rare when any football player wants the coach gone, even if the coach is a boob. If they do want the coach gone they are quiet on the issue.

Last year they were 8th in the league in offense. Its very rare when any player publicly OKs the firing of a coach. When Rodgers put out a tweet saying sweet after McCarthy was fired it was quickly deleted because of impending criticism. We really have no idea on what goes on under the AllenPark BigTop, with the lack of information everyone extrapolates on any info you might have so the retention of Cooter becomes Stafford wanting him. Nobody knows anything about the Lions I certainly don't think Patricia was hired as head coach and only has his hands on the defense. I mean its an easy argument to put forth, thats what Marinelli did but I think its more like the case with Belichick where he has his hands on everything.

On the scrambling thing, there has to be a reason why he has cut down on it. Its not like he did it a lot but this year will be one of the lowest rushing attempts of his career.
                        If they do want the coach gone they are quiet on the issue.
                        Or the player saying it IS the issue.

The running thing is really weird. There has been times when he could have slowly walked for a first and he turns and throws it to a covered RB in the flat. IDK whats going on.

Comment

Probably has taken enough hits this year and doesn't want to be a runner on a losing team that is going nowhere.

Comment

• The guy shows absolutely no fire or enthusiasm since having kids and signing the new contract. The heavy dose of antidepressants from the realization your stuck on this team does that with most guys....

Comment

• Originally posted by foxhopper View Post
                              The guy shows absolutely no fire or enthusiasm since having kids and signing the new contract. The heavy dose of antidepressants from the realization your stuck on this team does that with most guys....
                              Or we can call it what we have for virtually all of the 21st Century - hot tub mentality...

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

Or the player saying it IS the issue.

The running thing is really weird. There has been times when he could have slowly walked for a first and he turns and throws it to a covered RB in the flat. IDK whats going on.
                                Maybe they really do want a high draft pick.
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X