No announcement yet.

Game 1 -- Middle Tennessee State at Michigan -- 7:30 PM August 31, 2019 -- BTN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm an optimist. I'm thinking that the coaches are going to get Patterson up to speed.

This is a complex offense. Although the OL was good and this was MTSU, he was under a lot of pressure. You can see this if you frame by frame the video that's available. Game speed is different than practice speed - a lot different. When you take into account that the D in practice probably can't hit the QB, that creates a different clock in Patterson's brain than the clock he dealt with last Saturday. I expect that as Shafer did with his MTSU D, future opponents are going to bring the kitchen sink as the best option to take away the reads that are critical to Gatti's offense. Looking forward, how the OL and RBs perform against this sort of max pressure, may determine whether M is 9-3 or 12-0. So far, signs are good for the OL. Slow the game down a bit for Shea and he will likely excel.

Also, these guys are getting, what? - 20 some practices in fall camp? It takes a while to get the new reads in this offense down. I'm not sure the bye before Wisconsin is a benefit. Certainly for healing up bumps and bruises but not for game speed practice of the offense. It seems practice may be creating that different clock that hurts Patterson's execution at game speed with huge angry men bearing down on him.

OTH, the speculated injury thing and the possibility that the keep option on the plays that had it was taken away from him post injury - that is after the first play of the game - limited the offenses effectiveness. Observers think it did. I noticed Patterson was more subdued than he usually is in the post game interview he gave. In fact, he seemed depressed. Understandable if he took a big hit and was then limited and felt his performance was well below what he had been doing and felt he was capable of.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Just scanned the UFR Defense. I'll summarize:

Don Brown does new things including cover 2. This is probably a reaction to the osu debacle.

Brian had to come up with a bunch of new names for the exotic formations Brown has designed. They are almost unrecognizable as anything standard..... like a 4-3 or 3-4. That's becasue what goes on behind either a 3 man or 4 man front is weird as hell. It looks like Brown is building in a lot of different looks to confuse QB reads because against the good teams M will face, the pass rush may not be as good as it was for MTSU and, shocking, teams are doing a lot of plays with quick releases and hand-offs by the QB to avoid 280 pound angry men. IOW, he's adapting as ufm, in his pre-season FOX analyst role, said he needed to do.

The complexity of the defense and the important role of the Ss within it probably is the reason Dax Hill got like two or three plays. He hasn't had time to download Brown's schemes.

The Pass Rush was very good against MTSU's undersized line and that neither Dwumfor or Jeter played. Their entire offense was predicated on getting the ball out of the QB's hands in < 2 seconds, him keeping it/bailing on pass plays.

Uche is very good. Kemp is about like last year. A guy. Ross is solid. So are Metellus and Hawkins who looked like they are a year older and a year smarter.

CB's B. Thomas made one horrendous error on MTSU's first offensive play after Patterson's fumble. He was a hero after that. Hill dropped a for certain pic-six but as a CB he was otherwise solid (never mind his muffed punt). Gray was decent but got beat a couple of times but was rescued by errant passes. Same for JKP who got utterly schooled in the garbage time TD.

IMO, if Brown has actually adapted to today's modern offenses, dialed back his aggressiveness while at the same time continuing to innovate like his history demonstrates, M's D may be solidly in the top 15 nationally, and with a bit of luck, the top 10. IOW, a very slight, possibly not perceptible drop off from 2018's norm (not counting osu and UF).

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I actually think he's going to be more aggressive this year compared to last year. He doesn't have the organic pass rush afforded by Gary and Winovich. He's going to blitz a lot more. I think where he might less aggressive is in the coverage schemes. Looks like he's going to mix that up quite a bit more.

Comment

Working...
        X