Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa @ Michigan, Saturday, October 5th, Noon, FOX/Fox Video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Even if you are a good team Iowa can do this shit to you.

Comment

• I had to laugh when Shea Patterson was demonstrative when his receiver dropped a ball that hit his hands. It was a tough catch that he should have made but it was not a pass that should have been thrown. Scrambling outside the pocket late and he throws across his body. He was very lucky not to have a pick 6

Comment

• It's mind boggling how poorly coached our offense is and how little they get out of the talent that they have. It's truly incredible. I'd take the Hoke/Borges pairing back over the shithead combo that we have now. Gattis and Harbaugh absolutely suck.
            Last edited by Hannibal; October 5, 2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Also -- LMAO at people who still think that the 8-4 is the downside for this team. OSU and Penn State will assrail these guys into oblivion. ND will beat us at home. Sparty is less than a 50/50 shot and running the table against the three other underdogs on the schedule isn't a given.

Comment

• That was 3 hours and 26 minutes of a lot of discomfort for any M fan.

It was butt ugly offense. There was one good series that ended in a Charbonett TD that was the one decent running play. The rest sucked.

This game was probably the worst any of us have seen in the Harbaugh era. Maybe worse than any JOK passing performance. Pep like on the deep ball - not nearly enough of those. I just don't think the coaches trust Patterson to throw it deep consistently into C2, zone coverage - which is hard, but, either way it's just another horrible waste of receiver talent on soft coverage that results with C2-zone. C2-Zone is designed to frustrate the deep ball and it certainly frustrated Gattis, assuming he was calling the plays.

We also have heard, Patterson has trouble with zone defenses. Apparently he did in this game in spades. One thing that Gattis did adjust to is the easy pitch and catch on soft coverage by Iowa's CB. However, drive after drive got stopped when Gattis would get off schedule with what looked to me like it was inside-power poorly executed on 1st and 2nd down that eschewed looking at what can be developed in the underneath zones. WTF ..... I yelled at the TV at least a dozen times. No rhythm at all. 3/13 on 3rd down.

The run game was absolutely awful. There were Iowa LBs and Ss getting quickly into run lanes to stuff the runner. The little I was able to follow showed M's interior OL collapsing into the run lanes right at the LoS. Crazy.

I don't think the Gattis play-calling made a lot of sense and I just don't get it. Shea had two zone reads for 6 yards. The one that was for 11 some yards and a first down was a called keeper - I don't think there was a read on that one. Again, I might watch some replay but what's the use, to see if the reads were correct. They were probably 50/50 because I watched how Iowa was defending earlier and the over-hang defender on the back side, where the read is supposed to take the QB, was shuffling.

The worst part was the M defense getting all kinds of big time stops, forcing INTs (3 of those) and a fumble on Iowa's first possession. NONE of those turned into a TD. M got one FG out of all those turnovers or big time defensive stops.

I don't think there was any question that at some point, maybe around the time Patterson threw his one pic, the offense started to play to the defense essentially abandoning the creativity we want and expect to see. I have real doubts that Michigan can go on the road and beat Illinois given the multiple shit-shows on offense they've come up with in their first 5 games. TBH, Iowa just wasn't that good. So, yeah, maybe this was good game strategy. I hate it.

Don't want to take anything away from the performance of the defense - great game plan by Don Brown to shift blitzers all over the place to confuse OL blocking assignments. That worked. But geeze, this confused looking and what I think is an incoherent looking offense that seems to represent a tug of war between Harbaugh's conservative turteling offense and Gatti's no-speed-in space offense is taking a toll on my heart and butt-cheeks.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The only thing more annoying than hearing about what a great QB coach Harbaugh is hearing what a great offensive line coach Kirk Frerentz is.

Anyone want to hear a fun stat? When was the last time that Iowa averaged 200 ypg rushing? Last year? The year before? The year that Akrum Wadley tore us up? Nope. It''s 2002. You;ve got to go back to 2002 to find an Iowa team that broke 200 ypg rushing. Last year, with two guys on the roster projected as future NFL tackles, they averaged a paltry 148 ypg. Our shitty 2017 offensive line paved the way for 177 ypg. RichRod''s first team averaged 148 ypg! Today they got Deliverance'd by the worst Mchigan DL in nine years.. There is no greater myth than that of the Kirk Frerentz Iowa OL prowess.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; October 5, 2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Michigan fans: "it sucks having a coach on offense who puts incompetent family members on his staff."

Iowa fans: "Hold my beer."
                    Last edited by Hannibal; October 5, 2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      That was 3 hours and 26 minutes of a lot of discomfort for any M fan.

It was butt ugly offense. There was one good series that ended in a Charbonett TD that was the one decent running play. The rest sucked.

This game was probably the worst any of us have seen in the Harbaugh era. Maybe worse than any JOK passing performance. Pep like on the deep ball - not nearly enough of those. I just don't think the coaches trust Patterson to throw it deep consistently into C2, zone coverage - which is hard, but, either way it's just another horrible waste of receiver talent on soft coverage that results with C2-zone. C2-Zone is designed to frustrate the deep ball and it certainly frustrated Gattis, assuming he was calling the plays.

We also have heard, Patterson has trouble with zone defenses. Apparently he did in this game in spades. One thing that Gattis did adjust to is the easy pitch and catch on soft coverage by Iowa's CB. However, drive after drive got stopped when Gattis would get off schedule with what looked to me like it was inside-power poorly executed on 1st and 2nd down that eschewed looking at what can be developed in the underneath zones. WTF ..... I yelled at the TV at least a dozen times. No rhythm at all. 3/13 on 3rd down.

The run game was absolutely awful. There were Iowa LBs and Ss getting quickly into run lanes to stuff the runner. The little I was able to follow showed M's interior OL collapsing into the run lanes right at the LoS. Crazy.

I don't think the Gattis play-calling made a lot of sense and I just don't get it. Shea had two zone reads for 6 yards. The one that was for 11 some yards and a first down was a called keeper - I don't think there was a read on that one. Again, I might watch some replay but what's the use, to see if the reads were correct. They were probably 50/50 because I watched how Iowa was defending earlier and the over-hang defender on the back side, where the read is supposed to take the QB, was shuffling.

The worst part was the M defense getting all kinds of big time stops, forcing INTs (3 of those) and a fumble on Iowa's first possession. NONE of those turned into a TD. M got one FG out of all those turnovers or big time defensive stops.

I don't think there was any question that at some point, maybe around the time Patterson threw his one pic, the offense started to play to the defense essentially abandoning the creativity we want and expect to see. I have real doubts that Michigan can go on the road and beat Illinois given the multiple shit-shows on offense they've come up with in their first 5 games. TBH, Iowa just wasn't that good. So, yeah, maybe this was good game strategy. I hate it.

Don't want to take anything away from the performance of the defense - great game plan by Don Brown to shift blitzers all over the place to confuse OL blocking assignments. That worked. But geeze, this confused looking and what I think is an incoherent looking offense that seems to represent a tug of war between Harbaugh's conservative turteling offense and Gatti's no-speed-in space offense is taking a toll on my heart and butt-cheeks.
                      A QB-less running game is easy to stop. This program will likely be much better off without Patterson.

Comment

• ....... So is one that has a QB with a 5* resume that can't even run an offense, designed with his skill-set in mind, against a just OK defense. Something is bad wrong with him or with pre-game and in-game play calling.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I look forward to Buchanan, by Tuesday, rationalizing today as a high quality win.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• McCaffrey, PLEASE.

Comment

• Comment

• Maybe worse than any JOK passing performance.

Almost, numbers wise - Patterson's 93.6 passer rating today is the worst by a Michigan starter since Peters against South Carolina (71.9). Worst at home since JOK against Sparty in the downpour in 2017 (76.1).

But Harbaugh said the offense is now hitting its stride (no joke)
                                Last edited by WingsFan; October 5, 2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X