No announcement yet.

DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, crime is bad in Paris. Look at the measures they use to stop the theft of guardrails:
    Attached Files
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Not sure how the Fighting Irish are tied to France, but this is apparently their Paris extension center:
      Attached Files
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Almost 2 years now since Notre Dame burned. Time flies. Remember watching that live on tv

Comment

• Not sure who this is. Maybe Andrew Jackson.
          Attached Files

Comment

• The best thing about most Musketeer adaptations is they don't spend one moment using a sort of French accent, it's all very English. This one in particular is very English and anachronistic. It has a Murdoch Mysteries and A Knight's Tale vibe.

I think BBC, Netflix or Amazon should do a series based on A Knight's Tale. That would be amazing in the right hands.

Comment

• Ah damn...Jessica Walter passed. Had a career revival on Arrested Development and Archer...gained fans among people 1/3 her age that weren't around for her 70's heyday

Jessica Walter, the award-winning actress whose career spanned five decades, passed away in her sleep at home in New York City on Wednesday.

Comment

• Rip.

Big fan of both of those series. Seasons 1-3 of “Arrested Development” = amazing. Currently on season 7 of “Archer.”
                Jessica Walter’s characters are similar in those series.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• So I finally watched, after years and years of ignoring them

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
                  The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

Yeah....these movies aren't very good

After the 3rd Sam Raimi film was widely panned, Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, and Raimi were all pretty much done with this franchise...so I think these movies basically got made because the MCU had taken off and Sony/Fox was desperate to keep the character fresh in the public's mind. Andrew Garfield's take on Peter Parker makes him much weirder, much more neurotic than Tobey Maguire's version of the same character when he's out of costume. IN costume he might actually be more faithful to the comics, because he's cracking jokes aplenty.

Other differences are that Mary Jane has been replaced by Gwen Stacey as the love interest (though Gwen was in Raimi's Spider-Man 3). There's also no J Jonah Jameson in this version and Peter's job as a photographer is barely mentioned.

Instead, the first movie is part a re-telling of Spider-Man origins, which was all done better in the 2002 movie, and part a totally uninteresting plot by the villain to turn all New York into lizard people with toxic gas just because mwhahaha I'm crazy & evil now after traumatic event.

But it's at least one or two levels above the sequel which is a clusterfuck. This movie is Congo levels of stupid.

We open with a "fun" action scene of Peter's parents dying in a plane crash. This serves as a warning for the misery you're about to witness. Then cut to modern NYC and Spider-Man stops a gang run by Paul Giamatti who is working for a paycheck and doing the worst Russian accent you'll ever hear. Somewhere along the way he saves hopeless nerd Jamie Foxx's life.

Peter's childhood friend, Harry Osborn, is back in New York after a decade to visit his dying father. Meanwhile Jamie Foxx works at Osborn's company as...an electrical handyman or something...and falls into a vat of electric eels and after being killed turns into pure electricity or something. Why the fuck was there a vat of electric eels in a skyscraper's utility room? I don't know how this all works but he's now well-known Spider-Man villain Electro and pretty soon he wants to kill Spider-Man because he's jealous of the attention he gets. Great motivation for our villains.

Meanwhile Norman Osborn dies and Harry Osborn is dying too and he needs Spider-Man's blood because it cures cancer but he gets mad when Spider-Man tells him no you can't have my blood. So Harry is like fine I'm gonna become the Green Goblin (previously seen in all 3 Raimi films) and get my revenge on you, Spider-Jerk. Getting serious Spider-Man 3 vibes at this point.

I haven't said much about Emma Stone but she's fine. The Gwen Stacey character is pretty much a nothing character in the comic books, especially compared with Mary Jane, so there's not exactly a high bar to clear to do the character justice.

Anyways Spider-Man beats Electro and blows him up but then Harry (as the Green Goblin) swoops in to ruin the movie's natural ending by kidnapping Gwen in order to re-enact what's possibly the famous storyline in Spider-Man history. And while this version of it DOES suck, it's mercifully brief for a 150 minute film.

And even that isn't the end of the movie. We still get to watch ominous scenes inside OsCorp where a number of other Spider-Man villains are hinted at and then Paul Giamatti returns inside a robot Rhino suit and BOOM credits.

This reboot series was killed off quickly after the negative reviews and Disney pressuring Sony to relinquish the rights to the character. There are things I like better about the 2012 movie than Sam Raimi's original film but it just feels so unnecessary coming only a decade later. The second film is a total mess though. But from what I've heard, Jamie Foxx is RETURNING as Electro in the new Spider-Man movie coming out at the end of 2021...and Alfred Molina is returning as Doc Ock so that'll...be interesting.
                  Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; March 31, 2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Yer an Anti-Arachnophobite
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                      Yer an Anti-Arachnophobite
                      Arachnophobia was a great flick, you McRib-devouring philistine.

Comment

Attached Files
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Are you teasing me again, Wiz?
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Correct.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Those two Spiderman movies got made so they could keep the rights. If they didn't make movies the rights could revert back. In light of recent developments in what Sony extracted to keep Spiderman in the Marvel movies those were good investments.
                              Last edited by froot loops; April 1, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Saw the new “Godzilla vs Kong.” It’s on HBO Max.

It’s an ok, shut your brain off action movie.
                                I like that the runtime is short and it shoves aside most of the filler character crap that can be annoying in certain action movies nowadays. It gives you want you want in a movie like this... the monster fights. Some of that is pretty cool. That’s why I suspect the reviews are rather favorable for both critics and fans.
                                Vey fast paced. Kinda a strange plot in the 1st half of the movie before settling in.
                                If’s basically “BvS: Dawn of Justice” meets “The Core” plus a little “Stranger Things” with a bunch of monsters.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X