DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drok View Post
    I'm totally going to watch that. Thanks for sharing.
    It's a lot of dumb fun. Never gets boring. Such a weird curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      It appears the Lois Maxwell vehicle From Hong With Love is also on Prime. In that one she is Moneypenny.
      I see that also has Mickey Rooney in it. And Clifton James who played the fucking awful "comedic relief" character Sheriff J. W. Pepper in Roger Moore's first two Bond films.

May have to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

It's a lot of dumb fun. Never gets boring. Such a weird curiosity.
        You're describing the best Bond movies

Comment

It is on TV enough that I have caught bits and pieces of it. So much that depending on the scene with Moneypenny that I question what Bond movie is this. MST3K might have covered this one as well.

The low rent spy movies of that era are a lot like the low rent Spaghetti Westerns. Very entertaining and you can rarely remember the plot.

Comment

RIP Stuart Gordon...creator of some great schlock

Stuart Gordon, the horror-film director who helmed 'Re-Animator' and co-created 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,' has died at the age of 72.

Comment

His Lovecraft interpretations were outrageous- but really had nothing to do with the originals. They certainly don't catch the creepiness. John Carpenter did a much better job with doing that with the Thing.

Comment

1200px-Suspicion_%281941_poster%29.jpg

Suspicion (1941)
                d. Alfred Hitchcok
                Starring: Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine, Nigel Bruce

Lina McLaidlaw (Joan Fontaine) is a spinsterish, bookish woman living a quiet life with her wealthy parents in the country when Johnny Aysgarth (Cary Grant) strolls into her life. She's soon charmed by the flamboyant playboy and eventually they elope. But after they are married she suddenly finds out that despite appearances, Johnny's dead broke, and has been moving town to town mooching off of friends. Eventually she comes to suspect that he hand in his best friend's death (to whom he owed a lot of money) and is secretly plotting to kill her as well for insurance money.

After the spy drama of Foreign Correspondent, Hitchcock returned to something closer to Rebecca with this film, albeit an inferior one. He brought back Fontaine and worked with Cary Grant for the first time. Fontaine would in fact win a Best Actress Oscar for this movie.

I'm just not that fond of it and don't have a heck of a lot to say. To me the plot is fairly predictable and frankly, a little slow. Although the ending is somewhat interesting because it all wraps up in predictable fashion: a big misunderstanding, a traditional Hollywood happy ending. But when you stop and think about it, there's still a big of a nagging feeling that Johnny really could be a murderer. Hitchcock doesn't hit you over the head with anything obvious. It's just a sutle feeling that something could still be wrong. Fontaine & Grant are definitely both good and if you're a fan of either, you should watch, especially since Grant didn't play a (seemingly) villainous role very often.

Comment

Honor Blackman, best known as James Bond's Pussy Galore, has died.

Was wondering if she was actually the first proper "Bond Girl" to pass away but I see now that Claudine Auger (Domino from "Thunderball") died last year around Christmas.

Comment

MV5BNjkwZmZkYmMtZmY0NC00Y2RhLWIzMGItMTllZmIxNzg1ZTkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Jane and the Lost City (1987)
                    d. Terry Marcel
                    Starring: Kirsten Hughes, Sam J. Jones, Maud Adams, Jasper Carrott, Graham Stark, Robin Bailey

Set during WWII, Jane and her small posse traipse around Africa while trying to beat a group of Nazis to lost city of diamonds. Jane loses her clothes again and again and again.

So...I think in the wake of Raiders of the Lost Ark...there was a whole slew of movies in the 80's and even into the 90's that tried to consciously go for a Golden Age feel, were inspired by pulp novels, or tried to revive very old properties. There's a lot of things that fall into that category including big-budget, major studio stuff like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Dick Tracy, and The Rocketeer to lower-end stuff like Cannon's Allan Quartermain series or Biggles: Adventures in Time.

This...is one of those. Only it's a property no one remembers. At least not in America.

Jane or The Misadventures of Jane was a British comic strip essentially created as an excuse to create pinup art. Apparently it became very popular among British troops during WWII before eventually being retired at the end of the 50's. Jane perpetually got into situations where she ended up losing most or all her clothes, giving the male readers a cheesecake shot from time to time. And it gave lonely soldiers at the front...er, something to look at for long periods of time.

Call it nostalgia or madness, someone thought they could turn this into a movie in the mid-80's. And wow, is it fucking bad. For one, it is an incredibly cheap-looking film. The effects are laughable. A character jumps out of a plane at one point and it's literally just a closeup of their face being blown by a fan as they fall. It may have just been the print I saw but the night scenes are all horribly lit and impossible to tell what's going on half the time.

Kirsten Hughes, who plays the titular Jane, is earnest if not very good. Her career basically went nowhere after this. There is no nudity if that's what you came here for, you sick bastards. But she's reduced to her lingerie probably...I don't know...7 times? I lost count. Not including shots where they backlit her so you could see through her dress. All very tasteful. Tastefully done. Sam fucking Jones, of Flash Gordon fame, plays the male lead and boy he must have needed booze money at this point. Maud Adams, international supermodel and star of two James Bond films, is here to collect a paycheck as well as the leader of the Nazis. Her character's name is Lola Pagola. But it's one of her henchmen that's the most insufferable part of the movie. He's a scenery-chewing "assassin" named Heinrich that overacts the FUCK every time he speaks. And you can tell the moviemakers felt this was gold, Jerry, GOLD because he gets so much screen time. Some of the lengths they go to to get Jane in her bra an panties are way less embarrassing than this creep.

Oh did I mention this is a comedy?

Fuck it. Talked way too long about this crapola

Comment

Please stay on-topic while you visit here, DSL. Chess talk and chess talk only. Thank you for your cooperation.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Compose yourself, clod, and refrain from referring to Stratego as "chess"

Comment

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

French Connection or French Defense?
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Parcheesi?

Comment

I would bury your ass at Parcheesi.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X