DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    I saw the Dune trailer. Will be there for that. Parts of the original Dune did not hold up well.
    They should rename the movie to "Dookie"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      You haven’t seen the original Dune or read the books? It’s worth a watch if for nothing but some of the quotes/dialogue and to see Sting as Feyd of the House Harkonnen and Patrick Stewart as Gurney.
      Have not.
      Might read the book before seeing the film. No interest in seeing the 1984 film before the new one.
      ... I'm guessing "Dune" will be delayed until 2021.

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      Rip.
      Her last scene in GoT is quietly one of the most badass scenes in the TV series IMO.
      (if anyone needs a refresher/ spoiler alert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcav6vJZbbo)

be quiet olenna tyrell GIF
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• David Lynch was the 1984 director. He is a bit of a weirdo. But it’s very watchable.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The Dune trailer for those interested.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I don't know if you guys are sick of Critical Drinker videos yet, but here is the most spot on review that I have seen of Tenet.

Comment

• Haven't seen Tenet yet

WandaVision is looking...um...I dunno what to make of it. If this is allowed to get dark it might be good. It seems like it'll be based, at least in part, on a major storyline from the mid-2000's but I don't want to spoil anything. People are also saying this might be the series that introduces mutants into the Disney/Marvel universe. I guess the actor that played Quicksilver in the Fox X-Men movies is on the cast list in an unnamed role.

Comment

• Tenet is worth a watch for a few really memorable action scenes but it's a friggin' mess.

Comment

• LMAO

Comment

• NOTORIOUS (1946)
                    d. Alfred Hitchcock
                    Starring: Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant, Claude Raines, Louis Calhern

Bergman stars in a very different role from Hitchcock's last picture, going from the "good girl" role to a femme fatale in this story about a ring of Nazis conspirators in South America that fled the Third Reich. Grant is the agent assigned to recruit her to infiltrate the Nazis and firue out their plans, one of whom is a scorned lover Alexander Sebastian (Raines). Despite her and Grant falling in love, she ends up marrying Sebastian for the sake of the mission. But Sebastian and his domineering mother eventually figure out she's a spy and begin to slowly poison her so that the rest of the Nazis do not kill them as liabilities...

Not one of my favorites but I liked this better than the previous year's Spellbound. The three members of the love triangle are all great. And the tension is a nice slow build as it takes Bergman's character a while to realize what is making her sick.

Comment

• I've heard about this hot banger on several of my 'bad movie' shows for a while now but it's long been out of print and I don't think it ever even made the jump to DVD. Now that Alamo Drafthouse has released a restored version it maybe I can finally get a Bluray or HD download. It looks great versus the clips I've previously seen

NSFW

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; October 18, 2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• That looks awesome.

Comment

• I'm almost done with a 5-movie series I wanna talk about but first a quick mention of a sequel to a flick I mentioned a while back

F/X 2 (1991)
                          Staring: Bryan Brown, Brian Dennehy, Rachel Ticotin, Philip Bosco, Joanna Gleason
                          d. Richard Franklin

Rollie Tyler is back as Hollywood's best special effects man who gets inexplicably pulled into a stupid sting operation for the cops that goes horribly wrong and he ends up framed. So, exactly like the first film.

Rollie actually uses more of what you might call "special effects" in this one than in the first movie but I didn't enjoy it as much. Dennehy is still a more fun character than Bryan Brown, who I think went back to Australia after this. The violence is more toned down and the plot is some ludicrous scheme involving a bunch of looted Vatican medallions worth "millions". Unlike the first movie none of the supporting characters are interesting in any way (except Velez, who returns from the original).

Director Richard Franklin had previously done the notorious Psycho II and the ape film Link (which I may discuss sometime soon). But he never directed anything else in America after this.

Comment

• I never saw FX2. It seemed like an unnecessary sequel.

Comment

• The only positive is that Dennehy's in it more. I think it was almost 45-50 minutes into the first one that he first appears.

Otherwise it's a very meh sequel that's almost beat-for-beat the first movie but PG-13 this time sooooo….yeah. Remember that brutal fight Rollie has in the apartment with the hitman and ends up beating him to death with an iron? Replace that with a wacky scene in a grocery store where Rollie makes baked beans explode on a hitman instead.

Comment

• Have you seen the meme to Google “space movie 1992”?

Comment

Working...
                                X